Fixed Term – 6 months
About the Job
The Agronomist is responsible for the overall management and implementation of the Economic Security Agro activities and resources within the area of responsibility (AoR). S/He analyses the agricultural situation of the AoR, conducts Agro needs assessments and plans EcoSec agro interventions in consultation with the respective field management, technical supervisor and EcoSec team in Nairobi. S/He implements the EcoSec Agro activities according to department/ delegation objectives, agreed budget frame and plan of action (PoA) and reports on the progress of the programme as required.
This is a national/resident position based in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Conducts needs assessments in the AoR by using the standard EcoSec Agro approach and internally established tools for Agro program and procedures
· Formulates proposal drafts for Agro projects including SMART indicators, expected outputs/ outcomes, plan of action (PoA) and project budget, based on the internally established tools and procedures
· Provides advice on the composition of the Agro assessment team and coordinates the activities of the assessment team
· Ensures adequate communication and coordination with other assistance departments in planning and conducting of needs assessments
· Ensures that the Agro projects implementation is carried out in line with the set objectives, timeframe, allocated budget and the internally adopted coordination mechanisms
· In close coordination with the respective field management and technical supervisor, participates actively in selection of priority/ activity areas and individual projects and formulation of monthly and quarterly implementation plans
· Organises and supervises the selection of Agro beneficiaries by following the criteria attributed to a project, while minimizing the risks of conflict situations with target population and other stakeholders
· Maintains up to date information on the EcoSec agricultural situation in his AoR, analyses and compiles the relevant data on the context concerning livelihoods, agriculture and markets, including local historical, social, political and other aspects pertinent to the program implementation
· Uses a participatory approach during field visits and interactions with communities and other stakeholders
· Conducts regular monitoring of the EcoSec agro interventions in the AoR based on the internally established tools and procedures
· Conducts response analysis of different EcoSec Agro interventions (SWOT approach), associated risks and mitigation measures, including appropriateness and feasibility aspects and provides support to other involved staff when required
· Debriefs enumerators’ teams and compiles their feedback on the data collection exercises
· Provides support/ coaching to the teams of the Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS) involved in the monitoring process
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
· Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Agriculture, or related field
· 4 years’ experience in a similar field of activity
· Excellent knowledge of political, security, social and cultural of the assigned environment
· Excellent, reporting, presentation, analytical and networking skills
· Ability to make quick, sound decisions when faced with highly challenging and sensitive matters
· Good understanding of ICRC operations and mandate is an asset
· Excellent command of English and Somali language
· Computer proficiency especially in MS Office suite
How to apply
Apply by sending your cover letter and CV addressed to the Human Resources Manager, ICRC Somalia Delegation, on the email address [email protected]. Your cover letter must indicate your current salary and your expected salary range. The closing date is 11th April 2021. Clearly indicate Agronomist Mogadishu – 6 months in the subject line of your email message.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted, and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to *[email protected].*
Click on the link for information on data protection: Personal data protection information**