Chemonics seeks a biodiversity conservation lead for the USAID Indonesia Sustainable Environmental Governance Across Regions (SEGAR) Activity. The SEGAR Activity seeks to advance Indonesia’s own development goals of balancing biodiversity conservation and sustainable land use with inclusive economic and livelihoods development. To achieve the overall goal, this Activity will achieve the following two objectives: 1) Strengthened inclusive environmental governance in targeted subnational jurisdictions that advances biodiversity conservation, sustainable forest management, and sustainable land use and 2) Increased implementation of environmental and social sustainability goals within private sector natural resource commodity production supply chains that reduces threats to biodiversity and greenhouse gas emissions from land use.
The Activity’s base period is from February 26, 2021 through February 25, 2024 (Year 1-3), with two option periods (Year 4 and 5).
This position is only open to local nationals and will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Directs the biodiversity conservation technical area, recognizing the role of subnational jurisdictions ineffective biodiversity conservation and low-emission development
- Provides technical advice on biodiversity conservation and low-emission development to chief of party, deputy chief of party, other component leads and staff
- Leads the landscape baseline analyses (LBAs) and uses information gathered to design conservation strategies and for measurable conservation outcomes at subnational levels
- Facilitates integration of biodiversity considerations into land and resource use policies, planning, and implementation in forest estate and non-forest estate areas
- Advises on biodiversity conservation set-asides, developing and integrating measurable conservation targets and activities into key development plans
- Mentors district counterparts from government, private sector, and communities on designing and implementing effective conservation measures
- Supports operationalization of national policies related to biodiversity conservation at the subnational level, such as essential ecosystem areas (KEEs), through capacity building of local stakeholders
- Supervises the land use planning specialist, the GHG emission specialist, the GIS and remote sensing specialist, and as needed, short-term technical experts
- Reports to the chief of party
- Minimum of five years of experience in ecology, forestry, conservation biology, sustainable land use management, or other another field related to biodiversity conservation
- Advanced degree in ecology, forestry, conservation biology, sustainable land use management, or other another field related to biodiversity conservation
- Expertise in biodiversity conservation, community-based conservation management, wildlife protection, and conservation area management
- Extensive experience in high conservation value (HCV) area and high carbon stock (HCS) area mapping, species and habitat monitoring, law enforcement in forest and wildlife conservation, and public engagement and awareness in conservation
- Experience developing conservation plans, including defining measurable conservation targets, conservation objectives, and goals and their integration and alignment with existing planning frameworks
- Proven ability to work with all levels of government, NGOs, and international donors
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English, orally and in writing
- Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia
- Experience in developing and using digital data collection, analysis and reporting systems for conservation monitoring, and data-driven decision-making to reduce threats to biodiversity
- Experience working with USAID
How to apply
Please send an email with your CV attached and “SEGAR – Biodiversity Conservation Lead” in the subject line to [email protected] by March 29, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.