EnCompass is seeking a Capacity Building and Learning Officer to assist the USAID Regional Mission for Ukraine and Belarus (USAID/Ukraine) in its monitoring, and its collaborating, learning, and adapting (CLA) needs over the implementation of its five-year 2018-2023 Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS). The Officer will support the Sr. CLA Specialist and Deputy CLA Specialist in overseeing and managing all CLA Unit tasks, and will work in collaboration with the Knowledge Management and Communication Specialist and the DOC support team. Additionally, this individual will work with short-term technical assistance (STTA) specialists from EnCompass headquarters, local STTA, and specialists from EnCompass’ sub-contractor in the UMLS project, NORC at the University of Chicago.
This position is a full-time employee position. The position is currently a remote/virtual position due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In time, the position will evolve to in-person collaboration in Kyiv.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
The Officer will manage and support the design and implementation of a portfolio of activities intended to advance the capacity and learning both of the UMLS team and USAID Mission staff, local M&E specialists, civil society, and governmental staff as appropriate/requested. This includes responsibility for high quality delivery of technical work in areas such as skills-based capacity building in monitoring, evaluation, and collaborating, learning, and adapting techniques. It also includes deeply collaborative and proactive engagement in adaptive work focused on developing the adaptive management capacity of the Mission on multiple levels. S/he will work closely with team members to assess capacity, using participatory frameworks and approaches, and develop plans to sustainably enhance monitoring, evaluation, and learning capacities.
S/he will work to establish, build and maintain collaborative relationships with external stakeholder groups, which may include government and regional institutions. The Capacity Strengthening and Learning Officer may be called upon to design training materials, deliver training, facilitate learning and communities of practice, develop learning agendas, design and maintain evaluation activities to determine effectiveness of capacity strengthening activities, and coordinate with partner support staff for training deliveries. S/he will be committed to use participatory and strengths-based learning design and delivery approaches, as well as blended learning and evidence-based learning theory in all activities.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Support the development and implementation of Collaborating, Learning and Adapting activities for the USAID/Ukraine mission and implementing partner community
- Support both Objectives of the UMLS contract both working as part of the CLA team and working collaboratively with members of the UMLS MEL team
- Complete tasks as assigned by the Senior CLA Specialist and Deputy CLA Specialist to support the technical work of the CLA team, particularly in designing and delivering capacity development initiatives
- Collaborate with members of the MEL team on adaptive work to achieve CDCS and PMP outcomes for the Mission
- Conduct online facilitation and production (training provided) through in order to optimize service to the client independently and in collaboration with other specialists
- Coordinate and collaborate regularly with the MEL Team and DOC team within the UMLS Project to participate in cross learning, capacity building, and strategic implementation
- Design agendas and facilitate capacity building sessions and workshops for UMLS project staff, USAID and stakeholders
- Design follow-on resources to workshops, pause and reflects, and capacity building work
- Support implementation of the Mission Capacity Building Plan
- Review and become familiar with documents and other resources necessary to understand and respond to Mission and stakeholder needs
- Support broader UMLS Project activities as a virtual producer, facilitator or co-facilitator, note taker, or general support, as needed
- Participate in and/or lead meetings with the Mission, implementing partners, or EnCompass and NORC HQ teams as necessary or requested
- Other duties as assigned
- Five years of demonstrated experience in capacity strengthening and training to strengthen skill sets in monitoring, evaluation, and learning
- Masters’ degree in international development, organizational development, social science, or a related field preferred
- Experience building monitoring, evaluation and learning capacities of relevant stakeholders including implementers, funders, and government staff preferred
- Demonstrated experience applying a variety of participatory and strengths-based learning design and delivery approaches, blended learning and evidence-based learning theory
- Familiarity with e-learning tools, virtual Instructor-Led Trainings (vILT) on AdobeConnect, and other online instructional products highly desirable
- Though not required, preference may be given to Ukrainian nationals or nationals of a country within the region
- Strong written and spoken English skills required; familiarity with Ukrainian and/or other regional languages greatly valued
How to apply
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the application:
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
For US based positions: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.