Position Title : Communication Officer
Duty Station : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P1
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 08 April 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Since 1995, IOM has been working in partnership with the Government of Ethiopia, the UN Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) and the African Union (AU).
To enhance the African Union Commission’s (AUC) capacity to conduct its work, the IOM has entered into an agreement with the AUC to provide the regional organization with professional staff to help fulfil its mandate.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Special Liaison Office and Chief of Mission of IOM Ethiopia/Representative to the African Union and United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), and the direct supervision of the Liaison Officer – AU, IGAD and UNECA, the successful candidate will provide assistance and support with aspects of the implementation of internal and external communication and media related activities for the AUC’s Department of Social Affairs.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Based on specific instructions, draft specific segments of reports and public information.
- Collect, compile and provide identified information to the Commissioner, Director, Programme Managers and staff on public information, media and communication matters of interest.
- Provide logistical and administrative support for the implementation of outreach activities.
- Draft specific inputs for information campaigns for a variety of target groups. Prepare cost estimates and timelines for each element.
- Use innovative communications tools developed by IOM that engage communities and enhance communications outputs.
- Draft specific posts, updates and information material for social media communication tools (including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, AUC website).
- Work closely with Media and Communications Division colleagues at IOM Headquarters for the cross promotion of relevant AUC-IOM joint activities of global interest.
- Compile news stories and features on the AUC’s social affairs work.
- Draft portions of press notes, human interest stories and other programme-related communications materials for approval and subsequent dissemination through IOM’s media channels.
- Prepare preliminary updates of the information pertaining to the Department of Social Affairs on the AUC website.
- Provide support to the Programme Managers and staff with regular reporting and infographics by drafting inputs and collecting pertinent information.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Journalism, Mass Media Communications or Public Information or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
• University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in communication and advocacy strategies/programmes, international journalism, including coverage of international organizations, especially in Africa; and,
• Experience collaborating and managing partnerships with media organizations in countries and Regional communities and international partners as well.
• Excellent skills in drafting, editing and graphic design
• Excellent writing/reporting and analytical skills;
• Skills in managing website;
• Online communication and social media skills;
• High level of professionalism and ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines in a complex and fast changing environment;
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
• Excellent interpersonal, cross-cultural and diplomatic skills and the ability to collaborate and work inclusively with a diverse team;
• Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior officials in government, civic leaders, representatives of private sector and international donors; and,
• Strong interpersonal, networking and presentation skills.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 April 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 26.03.2021 to 08.04.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 62 Communication Officer (P1) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (56913568) Released
Posting: Posting NC56913569 (56913569) Released