FHI 360 Company Background
FHI 360 is a non-profit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology; creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Communications Consultant in Yemen.
Reviewing the FHI 360 website here will provide a better understanding of our active project locations. Additional insight can be found here: www.fhi360.org and contained within our annual report here.
FHI 360 has been responding to the humanitarian disaster in Yemen since 2018. We currently implementing response activities along the Western Coast of the Ta’izz and Hodeidah governorates and in Aden. FHI 360’s project delivers integrated, humanitarian interventions in the health, nutrition, and WASH sectors, designed to meet the most pressing needs of both the host communities and internally displaced persons in areas of southern Yemen affected by the ongoing conflict. Activities increase access to primary health care, such as maternal and reproductive health services, improve the nutritional status of the most vulnerable groups, including pregnant and lactating women and children under age five, and rehabilitate the WASH infrastructure of health facilities and in communities.
Scope of Work
Creation and delivery of stories, photographs, memorandums, organizational materials and announcements, events, and other deliverables pertaining to organizational communications to current and potential donors and the general public. Focuses on developing and delivering clear, concise and coordinated organizational messaging across multiple communications vehicles and on fostering opportunities. Works across all communications platforms, including email, website, social media platforms and company intranet. Serves as project manager for assigned projects, ensuring quality and smooth production from start to finish of the project. Assist the Response Coordinator in showcasing and presenting FHI 360 mission in Yemen to external audiences. Plans and coordinates meetings and events as needed. Must adhere to all FHI 360 procedures regarding corporate communications.
- Research, interview beneficiaries, health facility staff, writes and edits a broad range of communications that promote the activities of the organization.
- Work with the community leaders to identify the gaps in services that they believe exist.
- Provides publicity and promotional support for special events and community outreach activities.
- Develops and implements communications and public relations strategies to promote and publicize a variety of departmental projects, services and programs.
- Prepares a variety of promotional and informational materials, including articles, bulletins, websites, pamphlets, and other related media material.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Complete 10-12 interviews with beneficiaries, stakeholders, health workers at field sites, and FHI 360 staff to collect experiences and impressions from the field.
- Produce 3-5 program success stories of approximately one page each, with photos.
- Produce 10-15 personal profiles of health facility and FHI 360 staff highlighting their personal stories.
- Draft content for 5-7 tweets on FHI 360’s work in Yemen, in conjunction with Corporate Communications.
- Create a plan for and provide promotional support for special events and community outreach activities within the consultancy period. Events may include occasions such as International Day of Families (A/RES/47/237) or International Day of Living Together in Peace (ref. https://www.un.org/en/sections/observances/international-days/ for possible events).
- Produce updated long-form and short-form capabilities statements on FHI 360’s work in Yemen.
- Provide a collection of 15-20 professional photographs from the field for FHI 360’s use, with any required photo release forms.
Location of Work
Aden/Mokha, Yemen. Mokha, FHI 360’s field site office, is approximately 4 hours’ drive from Aden.
Important Note: Yemen has been designated by FHI 360 as high risk or extreme risk and poses a
heightened risk or direct threat to personal safety. Applicants should research this location and the associated risks before applying.
Level of Effort: 8-10 weeks
Period of Engagement: May – July 2021 (approx.)
Travel and shared accommodation are provided by FHI 360.
- · Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent
- · English, Journalism, Public Relations or Related Field.
- · Articulate, professional, and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with donors, staff and the general public.
- · Knowledge of principles, theories, and methods of communications, public relations, and journalism.
- · 2-5 years of writing, editing, and publications experience required.
- · Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- · Ability to write, edit, and manage all facets of presentation material.
- · Ability to work based on deadlines and write effectively for the appropriate audience.
- · Strong understanding/awareness of working in hostile environments. Prefer 3-5 years working in a hostile environment in an Islamic country.
- · Prior experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO).
- · Knowledge of the humanitarian architecture.
- · Fluency in verbal and written English. **
- · Fluency in Arabic is strongly preferred. **
Proposals will be evaluated in accordance with the following criteria:
- Interview and Writing experience
- Hostile environment experience
- Cultural awareness
- Humanitarian principles knowledge and expertise
- Consultancy experience with similar organizations
How to apply
Timetable and Address for Submission
Applications must be prepared in English and delivered electronically by 11:59PM EDT on April 10, 2021. Please send by email to [email protected] with subject line “Communications Consultant – Yemen.”
Please submit the following:
· Cover letter (max one page) summarizing experience.
· Current CV
· FHI 360 Biodata Form
· A sample of your work – a written communications work not to exceed 500 words.
· Name and contract details of two professional references
· Your consulting daily rate. Please note that rate should be all inclusive; no separate hazard pay, or daily allowance will be provided.