Background Information- UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) has been active in Serbia since 2000, and the operations of UNOPS Serbia Multi-Country Office (RSMCO) have since 2017 expanded to North Macedonia and Montenegro.
UNOPS has been a reliable partner primarily of the Government of Serbia, and later of the Governments of North Macedonia and Montenegro, in providing support for demanding socio-economic reforms and facilitating accession to the European Union.
Currently, the RSMCO is implementing 14 projects focussed on sustainable socio-economic development, social cohesion, creating environment for employability, business and infrastructure growth, increased security, improved education, enhanced social inclusion either via enabling durable housing solutions or providing access to health, education and jobs for the most vulnerable population. All projects have good governance and gender equality as transversal themes. UNOPS projects are contextualised within the broader Sustainable Development Goals framework and objectives.
The European Union for Local Development Programme – EU PRO Plus will contribute to more balanced socio-economic development in Serbia by enhancing territorial development management, supporting economic growth, and improving social infrastructure and social cohesion of 99 local self-governments in two regions: Šumadija and Western Serbia and South and Eastern Serbia. The European Union (EU) has allocated 30 million Euros through the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA) 2020 to fund the Programme which will be led by the Ministry of European Integration and implemented by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) over a period of 36 months.
There are three results that the Programme will achieve in targeted municipalities:
- Result 1: Improved development planning and introduction of the Integrated Territorial Investments (ITI) concept
- Result 2: Enhanced economic growth
- Result 3: Improved social infrastructure and social cohesion
While building on the momentum created by its three predecessors, the Programme also focuses on four cross cutting aspects: good governance, digitalisation and innovations, environmental and climate change aspects and gender equality. In addition, EU PRO Plus will, through its activities, where relevant and feasible, strive to remedy some of the negative COVID-19 effects.
The direct beneficiaries of the EU PRO Plus are the Ministry of European Integration, 99 local self-governments, local administration structures, regional development agencies, other business support organisations, local SMEs, and civil society organisations (CSOs). The final beneficiaries are the inhabitants of 99 municipalities.
All programme activities will be undertaken in partnership with the Government of Serbia, while respecting the national policies and priorities, in order to ensure national ownership and help develop national capacities. The EU PRO Plus is based on the National Priorities for International Assistance in the Republic of Serbia until 2025 (NAD), crucial for economic and social development and the EU integration process, while particularly contributing to preparation for the fulfilment of the requirements under Chapter 22 of the EU acquis – Regional Policy and Coordination of Structural Instruments.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Communications Senior Officer will provide a strong contribution to the overall success of the communication projects and activities. S/he will play a leading role in the design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of communication activities, while ensuring full compliance with the donor’s visibility requirements and guidelines, with the objective to raise awareness of target audiences about activities, results and impact of the EU PRO Plus Programme.**
The Communications Senior Officer will undertake the following activities/responsibilities:
- Establish and cultivate relationship with the counterparts in the Delegation of the European Union, relevant ministries and governmental bodies, beneficiary local self-governments, development organisations and programmes and other key stakeholders
- Establish and cultivate partnerships with the key national, regional and local media
- Play a leading role in collating and developing external reports used to inform donor and the key stakeholders of EU PRO Plus interventions, and trends and conditions in the Programme Area
- Represent the Programme, as agreed with the Project Manager
Delivery and Performance:
- Manage conduct of at least annual Analysis of EU PRO Plus stakeholders
- Lead on development, implementation, and evaluation of the EU PRO Plus Communication Strategy that will identify goals, opportunities and tools for the promotion of the Programme actions
- Ensure continuing visibility and publicity of the support which the European Union and the Serbian Government provide to the EU PRO Plus area of responsibility
- Lead on the organisation of the donor’s/VIP visits
- Provide communications support to EU PRO Plus sectors in order to promote activities, results and impact
- Provide media with timely and punctual information on EU PRO Plus activities
- Identify, develop, and manage media partnership projects
- Supervise establishment and maintenance of the contact database of media and the library of EU PRO Plus’s media coverage
- Provide qualitative and quantitative analysis of EU PRO Plus’s media coverage
- Take a lead in creation and continuous improvement of EU PRO Plus’s website design and ensure the portal is regularly updated and maintained
- Work with the designers on visibility/promotional material in accordance with the approved communication and visibility plan
- Organise press conferences/public events to raise awareness of the Programme
- Provide communication support for organisation of trainings, workshops and other Programme events
- Take a lead in development and implementation of the Programme’s Internal Communications Plan
- Keep the personnel informed of any news, which are relevant and may affect the Programme activities
- In cooperation with the Project Manager and the Support Services Team, ensure efficient and effective management of visibility related budget
- Draft Terms of Reference for communications and other consultants needed for this portfolio
- With the guidance of the Procurement Officer, prepare tenders for the publicity material (including print, graphics, web, audio and video)
- Manage and review quality of implemented activities and ensure products are accepted
- Manage and oversee communications consultants and service providers
- Ensure good governance concept, principles and practices are incorporated into the communication activities and products where applicable, in accordance with the Programme’s objectives and methodology.
- With support from the Project Manager, ensure respect of relevant project management requirements
- With support from the Head of Support Services and the Procurement Officer, ensure respect of UNOPS procurement procedures
- With support from the Head of Support Services and the Finance Officer, ensure that all expenditure complies with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR)
- Contribute to development, update and implementation of the Programme’s plans
- Contribute to identification and assessment of risks and implement mitigation measures in accordance with the Programme’s Risk Management Strategy
- Provide timely, accurate, and high quality inputs to EU PRO Plus reports as is confirmed
- Provide timely, accurate, and quality inputs needed for monitoring of the Programme’s performance, outputs and benefits as required by the Project Manager
- Ensure respect of UNOPS and EU PRO Plus configuration management requirements
- Address relevant requests from the Project Management Office and the Head of Programme
- Participate in the relevant UNOPS’ Communities of Practice
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies
- Contribute to identification and sharing of the Programme’s lessons learned and the best practices as per reporting format.
- Manage, lead, and motivate the communications personnel and ensure they respect professional standards of conduct
- Ensure good quality conduct of full performance evaluation cycle, completion of mandatory courses and encourage personnel continuous learning and development
- Closely monitor and assess performance of external consultants
- Support personnel development through mentoring.
Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Required Selection Criteria
- Master degree in communications, journalism, public relations, international relations or a related field is required
- A relevant Bachelor degree in combination with four years of relevant professional experience would be accepted in lieu of Master degree
- Minimum two years of relevant work experience in communications, public relations, media or journalism is required
- Experience with international organisations is desirable but not mandatory
- Fluency in English and Serbian is required
- Driving license and ability to travel independently is required
- Strategic Perspective – Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization. (for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
- Integrity & Inclusion – Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Leading Self and Others – Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Partnering – Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Results Orientation – Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Agility – Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behaviour. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Solution Focused – Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Effective Communication – Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
ALL CANDIDATES ARE REQUESTED TO SUBMIT A CV AND COVER LETTER ALONG WITH THEIR APPLICATION
Contract type, level and duration
This is a local position, it is therefore open to nationals of the Republic of Serbia and to individuals who have a valid residence/work permit.
Contract type: Ongoing ICA
Contract level: Local ICA 9
Contract duration: Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or to satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
For more information on UNOPS, please visit the UNOPS website at www.unops.org**
How to apply
Qualified candidates may submit their application, including a Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter to UNOPS via UNOPS Jobs at following link: