Chemonics seeks a community engagement lead for the USAID Indonesia Sustainable Environmental Governance Across Regions (SEGAR) Activity. The SEGAR Activity seeks to advance Indonesia’s own development goals of balancing biodiversity conservation and sustainable land use with inclusive economic and livelihoods development. To achieve the overall goal, this Activity will achieve the following two objectives: 1) Strengthened inclusive environmental governance in targeted subnational jurisdictions that advances biodiversity conservation, sustainable forest management, and sustainable land use and 2) Increased implementation of environmental and social sustainability goals within private sector natural resource commodity production supply chains that reduces threats to biodiversity and greenhouse gas emissions from land use.
The Activity’s base period is from February 26, 2021 through February 25, 2024 (Year 1-3), with two option periods (Year 4 and 5).
This position is only open to local nationals and will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Directs the community engagement technical area, recognizing the role and commitment of smallholder communities and disadvantaged population groups in sustainable development and conservation of critical ecosystems
- Provides technical advice on community engagement, smallholder rights, and community-based sustainable conservation enterprises to chief of party, deputy chief of party, other component leads, and staff
- Advises subnational jurisdictions and private sector actors on gender-sensitive and inclusive development and community-based conservation practices
- Facilitates establishment and strengthens existing multi-stakeholder forums (MSFs), ensuring representation of indigenous communities, smallholder groups, and disadvantaged population groups
- Mentors staff and stakeholders on facilitating participatory development planning assemblies for broad-based recommendations and inputs to key plans and budgets
- Develops and upscales existing approaches for smallholder mapping and registration
- Works closely with project partners on the deployment and scale up of the Communities Inspiring Actions for Change (SIGAP) approach
- Supervises gender and disadvantaged population specialist, the conservation enterprise specialist, the capacity building specialist, and as needed, short-term technical experts
- Reports to the chief of party
- Minimum of five years of experience in social science, communication, NRM, or another field related to community engagement
- Advanced degree in social science, communication, NRM, or another field related to community engagement
- Extensive experience in community organizing, community-based conservation and NRM, livelihoods, gender and inclusion, and establishing multi-stakeholder and co-management mechanisms
- Expertise in participatory planning, community organizing, and capacity building
- Extensive experience assessing community livelihoods, engaging local communities, and establishing multi-stakeholder mechanisms
- Experience working at subnational level with communities, smallholder groups, village groups, and similar organizations in various cultural settings throughout Indonesia
- Proven ability to support subnational jurisdictions and communities to foster mutually beneficial and equitable relationships
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English, orally and in writing
- Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia
- Experience working with USG funding
How to apply
Please send an email with your CV attached and “SEGAR – community engagement lead” in the subject line to SEGARrecruit@chemonics.com by March 29, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.