Position Title : Community Liaison Officer Duty Station : Medan, Indonesia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 07 April 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCoM) and direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office in the assigned Sub Offices in Indonesia, the successful candidate will be responsible for interpreting, translating, counselling, supporting and assisting in the delivery of social services to migrant populations living in community and detention centres in the respective area of responsibility. The role includes nationwide travel as necessary to the work at hand.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Perform interpreting / translating duties for IOM, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Department of Home Affair, Indonesian government agencies as authorized in dealing with matters pertaining to migrants under IOM’s care in Indonesia.
- Build relationships with migrant communities under IOM care to ensure a strong rapport and trust, necessary to easing IOM’s work and efforts on behalf of those migrant communities.
- Facilitate IOM’s work in migrant communities with regards to dispute resolution within the population.
- Obtain information pertaining to particular cases under IOM’s care, Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) and other donor or organizational information needs.
- Support counseling and awareness raising efforts for migrants for particular issues that they may face and to help make them aware of ground realities, Indonesian government and local community expectations, and their rights as refugees in the country.
- Undertake all efforts necessary in the implementation of IOM’s psychosocial, medical or operational responses, in keeping with well-established relationships with the migrant community and necessary language cohorts, in the community accommodation environment but also in relevant care and activity facilities such as hospitals, learning centers, sports facilities and the like.
- Identify and inform IOM managers about vulnerable cases that exist in the population under IOM’s care.
- Proactively provide inputs towards Country Office (CO) strategy and activity plans based on innate knowledge of particular migrant groups, cultures, religions, perspectives and the like.
- Prepare regular reports as requested.
- Perform travel duties, as necessary.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Language Study, Linguistics, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in above fields with four years of professional experience.
• Has experience working with asylum seekers/refugees either in detention or refugee camp environments.
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team from varied cultures and professional background.
• Strong organizational and communication skills (written and spoken).
• Effectively applies knowledge of relevant languages to deliver accurate translations in accordance with defined requirements.
• Has training or certification as an Interpreter in the required language an advantage.
• Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work.
• Ability to write clear and concise reports.
• Proficient in computer applications.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, Farsi, Tamil, Rohingya, Dari, Somali, Oromo, Pashto, Urdu, Bengali, Amharic and Bengali Rohingya.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Previous applicants do not need to re-apply.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 07 April 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 25.03.2021 to 07.04.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CFA 2021 06 Community Liaison Officer (UG) Medan, Indonesia (56853904) Released
Posting: Posting NC56853905 (56853905) Released