VSF Germany is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the region, VSF Germany implements activities in the Republic of South Sudan, Sudan, Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia.
With support in animal health, agriculture, marketing, food safety, drought responses and mitigation, but also developing the capacity of communities and governmental institutions or initiating peace and conflict resolution we work towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities.
VSF-Germany is implementation PROMISE Project ‟Reducing hunger and malnutrition and promoting resilient food production in Gok State, South Sudan”.
Implementation of the initial project phase lasting 34 month started in September 2016 and ended June 2019. A top-up funding was secured with project activities remaining the same with adjustments made from lessons learnt in the first phase and also to foster sustainability of the activities for the period July 2019 to August 2023. It is funded by BMZ and Bread for the World (EWDE). The main goals of the project are to reduce hunger and malnutrition and to promote resilient food production in Gok State (currently Lakes state). It’s on this background that VSF Germany intends to recruit the position of Project Manager based in cueibet, Lakes state (defunct Gok state), south Sudan.
Duty station: Cueibet, Lakes State (formerly Gok.)
Reports to: Country Programs Manager
Duties and Responsibilities are outlined as below
1. Program (Project) implementation:
- In-charge of overall planning and developing work plans and budgeting for all Project activities.
- Support Project field Officers in mobilizing and organizing the community to participate in sustainable agricultural activities (adaptable crops and vegetable production and innovative technologies), Livestock production and sustainable Natural Resources Management
- Facilitate the establishments of farmer’s demonstration plots and other related livelihoods interventions
- Support facilitation of farmers on improved food hygiene, post-harvest management and preservation techniques.
- Promote Agriculture Value chain (inputs, production, processing and post-harvest)
- Ensure timely distribution of farming and livestock inputs to beneficiaries, record keeping and monitor usage
- Facilitate seeds fairs inputs vouchers and farmers field days
- Support regular farmers and livestock extension services and follow up visits
- Work in collaboration with the State Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Forestry and Natural Resources and Fisheries on technical areas that require their participation and Policy guidance
- Assist in planning, organizing and facilitating refresher training of Community Animal Health Workers (CAHWs)
- Facilitate identification and profiling of selected household and schools for poultry productions
- Support in trainings of Female Poultry Auxiliaries (PAs) on improved indigenous chicken (KENBRO) rearing, Poultry New castle disease, food and water borne diseases and Food hygiene.
- Facilitate the establishment of poultry production demonstration sites
- Supervise trainings of selected households and schools on improved poultry production
- Encourage the selected household and schools to participate in improved poultry production methods and practice
- Support and supervise school animal health production and selected Households extension services delivery through CAHWs Networks and County Animal Resource and Fisheries department
- Support the establishment and identification of agro-vet shops and link to CAHWs and farmers for inputs sourcing
- Take lead in initial new project assessments and project designs; midterm and end term evaluations in close consultation with Project Coordinator and M&E Officer.
- Financial management
- Support program team in development of quarterly fund forecast,
- Prepare and submit monthly activities cash need for PROMISE project,
- Review and control sector budget to ensure expenditures are within budget limits,
- Review sector financial documents from subordinates to ensure expenditures are in accordance with planned activities,
- Review and approve project financial documents/ reports/ and at an authorized level or make necessary comments to the attention of operations manager.
- Facilitate the procurement of farming and livestock inputs
- Prepare and submit monthly activities reports to project coordinator for consolidation,
- Support on various key sector assessments (Both internal and external) and reporting,
- Document various lessons learnt of the project,
- Support in preparation of quarterly, semi-annual and annual project report,
- Represent VSF Germany in FSL forums,
- Guide on the administrative team on project administrative functions
- Support on external assessments organized by VSF Germany and or other external actors relevant to the project.
- Perform any other duty as assigned by Line Supervisor
Qualifications, and Experience, required: –
- Degree in Agriculture/Veterinary or Agri-business from a recognized University.
- Prior experience working in conflict and post-conflict communities (Greater Bhar Al Gazal experience is added advantage)
- Good understanding of Agriculture (crop, livestock, fisheries, and natural resources management) in conflict and post-conflict communities
- Minimum 2 years’ Experience working with BMZ, USAID, FAO & EU funded project
- Prior knowledge and experience on poultry production and livelihood will be considered as an added advantage
- Additional training on Participatory approaches, Livelihoods, food security, nutrition, gender mainstreaming, education or related will be added advantage.
- Computer literacy with good command in Microsoft office and excel a must
- Understanding of the project area and its socio-economic, political, and security context,
- At least 3-year hands-on experience in livelihood intervention, Humanitarian, and development interventions.
- Experience working with an international Non-Governmental Organization, partnership and collaboration with GOSS and other Key stakeholders will be an added advantage,
- Ability to take lead in field project proposal writing.
Desired Skills and attribute:
- Team player, Communication skills, Keen and detailed observation, Honesty/transparency, Negotiation and communication skills, organization and coordination skills, inter-personal skills, patience, Self-discipline, facilitation skills, critical analysis, confidentiality, and objective judgment.
- Ability to work in a team and work under pressure within harsh conditions
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Good report writing skills and presentation skills (in English)
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit an application letter and CV with 3 names of referees (one of them being their immediate supervisor) with their telephone and e-mail contacts to the E-mail address
Email: [email protected]
OR drop their applications to
VSF Germany- Juba Office at Hai Malakal- opposite Finance South Sudan. Plot No 74, Block AXIII, Hai Malakal- Juba (Opposite FINANCE SS Ltd, Hai Malakal
Republic of South Sudan
Indicate the job title i.e. CONSULTANT PROJECT MANAGER
Lakes State on the Subject line of your application and on the envelope. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
N/B: The closing date for receiving applications is Monday 22nd March 2021, at 5.00 PM new SSD local time (GMT+2). Due to the urgency to fill this position, applications will be reviewed as they are received.