The project of Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH), introducing new and innovative approaches for aquafarming at the Red Sea Coast in Yemen, implemented by the partner organization Abs Development Organization for Woman and Child (ADO) aims to:
· Create additional employment and income earning opportunities for vulnerable fishermen and fisherwomen communities
· to expanding the depth and breadth of benefits generated from fish farming for the targeted community where the poor women and men can be involved as employees and producers
· Trigger lasting ‘systemic’ changes in the fish market systems to reduce constraints to growth and to increase its capacity for sustainable livelihoods.
Stage 1 – Preparation (remote and on-site)
- Assess the technical requirements for setting up a small hatchery for a group or cooperative composed of targeted women and men from the targeted community in Yemen Red Sea area at Al Mukha Districts.
- Identify the most suitable location / define site characteristics.
- Come up with a simple and small-hatchery, or hatchery design systems/techniques appropriate for small-scale entrepreneurs that can supply fingerlings for small open-sea fish cage farm(s) run by groups or fishermen. This should reflect the different species required and the agro-climatic characteristics of the target zones.
- Focus need be on the species identified in the feasibility study, prioritizing Cobia.
- Provide a detailed list of all required items to establish the pilot hatchery, with their respective detailed technical specifications.
- Support the project team in the procurement of all technical equipment (review of BoQ, tender documents, bid analysis)
Stage 2 – Establishment (remote and on-site)
- Support the establishment of the hatchery through remote support to the project team and site-visits for verification and instruction.
- Prepare a manual for the design, operation, regular maintenance and general management of hatcheries
- Conduct three short workshops for hatchery staff and community members (those who will be involved in the management)
Stage 3 – Operationalization
- Provide on-site training in improved hatching and first feeding techniques to pilot fish seed hatchery staff.
- Develop a business plan for an enterprise (group or cooperatives) which will help them to run relatively an organized, profitable and sustainable hatchery business
Institutional and logistics Arrangements
Consultancy contract. The Consultant will work under the direct supervision of BMZ Program Coordinator with close assistance from DKH project officers at the districts in coordination with NMO project manager. This is not a home office position.
- Degree in Aquaculture Technology with specialization in fish breeding.
- Ten years of experience in the design and operation of warm water marine fish hatcheries. Small-scale hatchery design and operation an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in breeding and production of Cobia and/or Puntius species essential. Experience of Chinese carp culture would be helpful.
- Practical experience of Small-hatchery technology transfer to coastal fish farmers and small-scale entrepreneurs, preferably in Yemen and the region.
- Good knowledge of English. Proficiency in Arabic language desirable.
How to apply
DKH invites international and national independent consultants as well as consulting firms to submit their qualified technical and financial offer. DKH welcomes collaborations between national and international consultants. DKH keeps the right to forge a collaboration between national and international applicants or split the deliverables.
All interested parties that seek to submit an offer for this TOR must write to:
[email protected] and submit:
Technical proposal, including:
o CVs of consultant and their roles
o Number of days of field work and office work per team member
Financial proposal, with detailed breakdown including:
o Daily fees per staff member and number of days each (in EUR)
o Transportation costs
o Additional Cost
Supporting documents (for companies)
o Valid VAT and TAX ID certificate
o Valid Trade/Business License
o Clear copy of the identity card /passport of the legal representative of the company.
o Company profile
o Work experience (with both international and local organizations, and locations)
o HEAT certificate or similar
Manner of Submission: Proposals shall be in PDF format