TERMS OF REFERENCE
CONSULTANCY: Workshop Facilitator for Internal Validation of the AIMS Strategic Framework 2021-2026
Established in 2003, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is Africa’s first and largest network of Centres of Excellence for post-graduate education, research, and public engagement in mathematical sciences. We are training Africa’s next generation of leaders and enabling the youth of Africa to shape the continent’s future through higher education in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). AIMS has five Centres of Excellence across Africa: South Africa, Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon and Rwanda with a Global Secretariat in Kigali, Rwanda.
Over the next five years (2021-2026), AIMS seeks to empower the brightest young Africans to be creative leaders in science, innovation and entrepreneurship. Our vision is the transformation of Africa driven by science through innovative education, training and research. AIMS is looking to scale, with three new Centres of Excellence and three Satellite Campuses opening across the continent, as well as expanding and deepening our academic and training programs, growing our teacher training programs, investing in work-integrated learning to ensure greater transition to employment, building our research capacity, and playing a leading role in raising awareness of the role of science in advancement of Africa, from communities through to the Pan-African policy arena.
Over the past year, AIMS has undertaken an internal strategic planning exercise in order to refocus its programs and activities and lay the foundation for sustained growth over the next five years. A draft AIMS Strategic Framework 2021-2026 has been developed, which outlines the overarching vision and mission and identifies four strategic objectives – each with proposed program areas, key activities, baselines, and annual and five-year targets.
- Description of the Consultancy
AIMS is seeking a Consultant to design, facilitate and document an internal validation process of the draft AIMS Strategic Framework 2021-2026. This process will provide AIMS staff from across the network (approx. 145 people) with the space and opportunity to review and discuss the proposed framework and share feedback to further refine, revise and validate the framework, under the guidance and direction of an expert facilitator. This will thereby help to ensure network-wide support and ownership in the Strategic Framework and allow staff members to see their own role and responsibilities in its successful implementation.
It is envisioned that the internal validation process would be done through a series of online workshops, which could be multiple workshops each including a cross-section of AIMS staff from across the Secretariat and five Centres of Excellence or one workshop with break-out groups. We invite applicants to demonstrate innovation and creativity on how best to structure and approach such a process, drawing from their experience and expertise.
The objectives of the Consultancy are to:
i. Design and facilitate a multi-day online workshop(s) for AIMS staff from across the network, including the Global Secretariat and five Centres of Excellence
ii. Produce a follow-up workshop report, summarising the discussion, key outcomes and areas of convergence among staff
Week of 05 April 2021: Deadline for submission of proposals
Week of 05 April 2021: Proposal review and follow-up interviews
Week of 12 April 2021:Contracting of selected Consultant
Week of 12 April 2021:Kick-off call between AIMS and the Consultant
Week of 26 April 2021: Internal Validation Workshop(s)
Week of 03 May 2021:Workshop Report
- Qualifications and Experience Required
This consultancy is open to Individual Consultants. The essential requirements include:
- Master’s or equivalent (in terms of qualifications or experience) in a relevant field
- At least 10 years of professional experience in organisational learning, strategic planning, and/or workshop design and facilitation
- Previous experience working in Africa in a cross-cultural context
- Demonstrated ability to design, facilitate and lead workshops
- Demonstrated ability in strategic planning exercises
- Demonstrated skills in online facilitation using a web-based platform
- Excellent English and French oral and writing skills
- Knowledge of the higher education and STEM landscape in Africa would be an advantage
- The consultancy will be entirely remote. No travel is anticipated. The Consultant is free to work from a location of their choice.
How to apply
- Individual Consultants meeting the above requirements are invited to submit a proposal, not exceeding 10 pages, outlining how they would approach and deliver on the assignment as it is outlined above, the rationale for such an approach, and the relevant experience and skills they would draw upon. The proposal should include a budget in USD, outlining the proposed number of days (by key activity), daily rate of pay, and any expected expenses, as well as the consultant’s CV attached as an Annex.
- Please send proposals (saved to PDF) to [email protected] with the subject line: Proposal: Facilitator for Internal Validation of AIMS Strategic Framework.
- Applications due by 06 April 2021