I. Organizational Context and Scope
Under the overall supervision of Deputy Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Program Coordinator Migration Management Unit (MMU), South Sudan in collaboration with the National Program Officer of MMU in JUBA, the Community Policing Specialist will provide specialized technical and administrative assistance in the implementation of the anticipated project on “Supporting Peace, Security and Stability in Northern Regions through Strengthening Border Management Capacities and Inclusive Community Engagement” Project funded by the Government of Germany. It is an anticipated 24-month project that aims to establish processes of positive change, at institutional, individual and societal levels, to reduce the risk of communities impacted by crises or fragility from regressing into or remaining in crisis situations. It will further lay the foundations for access to longer term and sustainable development through strengthening border management, enabling meaningful community participation in contributing to peace and security efforts, whilst contributing to the wider COVID-19 response in South Sudan.
In particular, responsible for the planning and implementation of activities contributing to the Outcome 2: Strengthened collaboration between law enforcement and community members in contributing to peace and security, through community policing approaches and support for engagement of women and youth in peace and security dialogues. Among which, facilitate rebuilding of trust between law enforcement and communities through which a meaningful interaction among them to identify and resolve security issues will be achieved. This will help re-establish the rule of law, and to create the conditions whereby law enforcement can serve and protect the community, whilst responding the most pertinent issues raised by community members. The role of community engagement specialist is instrumental in contributing to the development and implementation of relevant trainings, setting up a medium and system for meaningful interaction to create community safety initiatives, at the same time providing training and mentoring local communities with thematic knowledge and skills that are relevant and needed by the communities.
II. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Core Thematic Areas
· Develop strategic approaches to community engagement to support the overall community stabilization portfolio of IOM South Sudan.
· Conduct community participation assessments which include desk reviews of online and offline sources, conduct interviews with relevant stakeholders, analyze the collected data and draft an assessment report.
· Support the development of the community safety initiatives for the country.
· Conduct district surveys on safety and security, organize joint problem-solving sessions between the police and the community, and develop the strategic work plan within the framework of local governance.
· Develop relevant thematic training modules, SOP i.e. community policing, community engagement, and other relevant topics including development of theory of change tools to document the outcome of the trainings.
· Conduct trainings for beneficiaries and stakeholders.
Project management & Development **
· Develop the project work plan in coordination with key partners and ensure timely and effective implementation of project activities.
· Identify problems and propose action to expedite the delivery of outputs.
· Develop and maintain strong liaison with project partners and stakeholders, including relevant government authorities, and any other concerned agencies and working groups, and identify and develop synergies with other projects.
· Establish a system to collect and manage project data for monitoring and evaluation purposes. This includes development of project monitoring plan.
· Undertake regular travel relating to the project, including for consultations and briefings with internal and external counterparts.
· Represent IOM at meetings and conferences relevant to the project in South Sudan and abroad as authorized and in close coordination with the supervisor.
· Undertakes duty travels related to project implementation.
· Plan and organize project activities such as trips, visits, workshops and seminars in and outside South Sudan.
· Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
III. Required Qualifications and Experience
University degree from an accredited academic institution, preferably in Business Administration, Political or Social Science, International Relations, Law, with 5 years of experience.
Professional experience in project coordination or project implementation in international donor funded projects an added advantage;
Experience in drafting project documents and reports;
Work experience in IOM, a UN agency, non-governmental organization, international organization or relevant government department is an added advantage.
Extensive experience in liaison and cooperation with governmental authorities and UN partners is required.
Excellent writing and communication skills in English;
Good level of computer literacy, including database applications.
Excellent command of spoken and written English & Arabic.
Other Local language will be an advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
· Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
· Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
· Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
· Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
· Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
· Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
· Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
· Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
· Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
· Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
· Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
· Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM (optional depending on position level)
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae as well as technical and financial proposals for the assignment to [email protected] by 24th March, 2021, indicating in the subject of the e‐mail “Community Policing Specialist – Migration Management Unit’ **
The submission should include:
· A motivation letter;
· A technical proposal, outlining conceptual framework, detailed methodology and work plan;
· A financial proposal, outlining the consultancy fee