Overview and purpose
The European Union (EU) Roadmap for engagement with Civil Society is a joint initiative between the EU and its Member States to strengthen partnership with civil society around the world and providing support in these endeavors. In 2017 the EU Delegation in Liberia, together with Member States, developed the EU Roadmap (RM) for engagement with Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) covering the period 2017-2020. The EU Delegation in Liberia now seeks to update the Roadmap beyond 2020, partially considering new developments in the context and partially in view of the new EU priorities set for the programming period 2021-2027 in line with the new Neighborhood, Development and International Cooperation Instrument (NDICI). Out of the five priority areas set in the new NDICI, the following two priorities; i) Green Deal and ii) Jobs and Growth, have been identified in EUs programming with Liberia 2021-2027. These two priority areas are interlinked with the identified Team Europe Initiative (TEIs) in Liberia focusing on: i) Safe and Sustainable Food Systems, and ii) Forestry and Biodiversity. The EU Roadmap beyond 2020, shall also reflect on how civil society can be mainstreamed in the new programming priorities.
In line with recommendations set out in the EU Roadmap for engagement with CSO in Liberia 2017-2020, the European Union allocated funds in support to civil society in Liberia, via its National Indicative Programme (NIP). As an outcome, the EU has since 2019 been funding the Supporting Effective Advocacy in Liberia (SEAL) program implemented by Mercy Corps (MC) and Kvinna Till Kvinna (KtK). The SEAL program strengthens organizational and technical capacities of Liberian CSOs so to fully assume their role as independent actors actively taking part in advocacy and decision-making processes. The SEAL-program engages with 11 mid-level Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), the National Civil Society Council of Liberia (NCSCL), as well as 15 smaller county level CSOs (Community-Based Organizations-CBOs) promoting good governance and a vibrant civic sector during a critical moment in the country’s development.
As part of the SEAL program, the lead implementing partner Mercy Corps will supervise the update of the EU Roadmap for engagement with Civil Society in Liberia, beyond 2020. Mercy Corps is a leading global humanitarian agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places. With a network of experienced professionals in more than 40 countries, we partner with local communities to put bold ideas into action to help people recover, overcome hardship and build better lives now, and for the future. In these important and imperiled places, Mercy Corps listen to local voices to prioritize people’s most urgent needs, taking a long-term view and promoting innovative solutions that drive true change. Mercy Corps has been operational in Liberia since 2002, most recently implementing programs in food security, peace building, and youth empowerment and renewable energy.
Objectives of the Consultancy:
As part of the SEAL program and in coordination with the EU, Mercy Corps will lead the revision of the EU Roadmap for Engagement with Civil Society in Liberia beyond 2020. The selected consultant will be the lead writer on the project;
· To update and revise the ‘EU Roadmap for engagement of CSO in Liberia, beyond 2020’ in line with EU Roadmap template and its guidance note;**
To provide technical analysis and support .to the revision of the roadmap.**
· Support a learning workshop virtually with a local consultant that is leading data collection; and lead in collecting additional feedback and data from key stakeholders to be included in the roadmap
· Conduct a brief literature review of the documents like EU Roadmaps, SEAL program reports, reports from other donor funded CSO activities, National Aid and NGO Policy, Government of Liberia and CSO Accord, Partnership Policy, Pro-Poor Agenda for Prosperity and Development.
· Conduct a review of secondary data collected by the Local Consultant
· Revise and update the EU Roadmap for engagement with CSO in Liberia, beyond 2020 document based on findings from data collection exercise and literature review
· Liaise with Mercy Corps Technical Support Unit to receive feedback and revise the roadmap
· Submit the finalized Roadmap to Mercy Corps and the EU Delegation with opportunities to provide feedback
· Present the final Roadmap to Mercy Corps, EU Delegation and other key stakeholders virtually
- Submit a draft report of a secondary data review (approximately 5 pages)
- Submit a draft version of the EU Roadmap for engagement with CSO in Liberia, beyond 2020
- Collect written feedback from Mercy Corps and other key stakeholders on the draft
- Submit a finalized version of the roadmap
- Submit professional slide deck on the updated roadmap to be presented to Mercy Corps, EU and other key stakeholders virtually
Draft a literature review (approximately 10 pages)
Submit a draft report of a secondary data review (approximately 5 pages)
Submit a draft version of the roadmap
Collect written feedback from Mercy Corps and other key stakeholders on the draft
Submit a finalized version of the roadmap
Submit professional slide deck on the updated roadmap to be presented to Mercy Corps, EU and other key stakeholders virtually
The aim is to have the contractor hired by April 1 and all work completed by April 30, 2021. The maximum number of working days for this contract is fifteen (15).
The Consultant will report to: Mercy Corps Liberia Program Director**
The Consultant will work closely with: Mercy Corps Liberia Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Manager
Required experience and skills:
· Minimum 10 years of experience working in governance sector in West Africa, Liberia highly preferred;
· Excellent academic background with a proven track record in supporting civil society/governance work;
· Previous experience working with or for EU funded civil society/governance projects;
· Excellent writing and speaking in English skills
· Ability to write, analyze and synthesize technical report
· Experience working with Mercy Corps is a plus.
How to apply
Apply Here https://jobs.jobvite.com/mercycorps/job/oxs5efw2