CONSULTANCY – TERMS OF REFERENCE
UNRWA is a United Nations agency established by the General Assembly in 1949 and is mandated to provide assistance and protection to a population of some 5 million registered Palestine refugees. Its mission is to help Palestine refugees in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, West Bank and the Gaza Strip to achieve their full potential in human development, pending a just solution to their plight. UNRWA’s services encompass education, health care, relief and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance and emergency assistance. UNRWA is the largest UN operation in the Middle East with more than 30,000 staff. UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions.**
Consultant –Web Developer – Drupal 8, (Local)
UNRWA has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with United Nations International Computing Center (UNICC) that aims to enhance livelihood and human development opportunities to Palestine refugees in Gaza.
United Nations International Computing Center (UNICC) is a UN agency that provides IT services to other UN agencies on a cost recovery basis.
UNRWA Information Management and Technology Department (IMTD) is seeking Web Developer – Drupal 8 who is responsible for full life-cycle of medium to large sized complex projects; strong technical skills; strong ability to understand complex business processes. Develops solutions based on extensive technical knowledge, skills, and experience; influences client towards innovative/integrated solutions.
The consultant will report administratively to Head Information Technology Service Centre at Headquarter Gaza and technically to United Nations International Computing Center (UNICC).
Description of Duties and Responsibilities
ANALYSIS AND REQUIREMENTS GATHERING
· Gather complex system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
· Develop/change data input, files/database structures, data transformation, algorithms, and data output by using appropriate computer language/tools to provide technical solutions for complex application development tasks.
· Document code and associated processes by adhering to development methodologies, adding code comments and appropriate documentation to various knowledge-base system(s) to simplify code maintenance and to improve support.
· Provide thought leadership in designing and developing innovative integrated solutions.
· Provide guidance in application design and development to more junior staff.
TESTING AND DOCUMENTATION
· Test all changes by using the appropriate complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
· Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
· Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
· Monitor changes and resolve complex problems by responding as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
· Provide support by investigating and resolving issues, including complex issues to ensure prompt, effective service.
· Perform other duties as maybe required.
minimum Qualifications and Experience
· A university degree from an accredited educational institution in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline.
· Experience in web applications design and delivery for the public cross-culture audience as per the following:
§ Cluster A: A minimum of 5 years of experience.
§ Cluster B: A minimum of 7 years of experience.
· Expert knowledge of Drupal 8 theming, module configuration, custom module development, security.
· Expert knowledge of RESTful services
· Expert knowledge of PHP and MySQL, PHP frameworks (Symfony, Zend).
· Working knowledge of Drush, Drupal Composer, Docker containers
· Demonstrable experience with UI and UX principles, concepts, and techniques.
· Demonstrable success on Drupal projects as a technical lead or senior individual contributor.
· Fluency in spoken and written English.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
· High degree of initiative, dependability, and ability to work with little supervision.
· High level of personal integrity, as well as the ability to professionally handle confidential matters, and show an appropriate level of judgment and maturity.
· Ability to deliver quality results.
· Teamwork and collaborative skills.
· Excellent time management, organization, and attention to detail.
· Exemplary customer service skills.
· Demonstrable critical thinking and problem solving.
· Ability to thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving, and constantly evolving high growth environment.
· Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
· Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Experience upgrading and migrating legacy web applications.
- Experience participating in Agile projects.
- Familiarity with Jira, Bitbucket, Bamboo, Jenkins, AWS Cloud Services.
- Headless / decoupled Drupal development.
- Experience with WordPress web site design and development
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
· The duration of the consultancy is 6 to 11 months, extendable according to performance and availability of funds.
· Remuneration for this consultancy will depend on the qualifications and relevant experience as follows:
o Cluster A: $1,600.
o Cluster B: $1,800.
· The incumbent can be in any of UNRWA fields of operations (Gaza, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, or West Bank).
Applicants should submit a cover letter and CV or UN Personal History Form clearly demonstrating the knowledge and experience required to meet the consultancy requirements via [email protected] indicating the title of this consultancy “Web Developer – Drupal 8” and field (area)/country of the candidate in the subject line of the message. The deadline for the submission of applications is 12 April 2021.**
UNRWA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from both women and men. UNRWA encourages applications from qualified women. Only those applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted. UNRWA is a non-smoking environment.
How to apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter and CV or UN Personal History Form clearly demonstrating the knowledge and experience required to meet the consultancy requirements via [email protected] indicating the title of this consultancy “Web Developer – Drupal 8” and field (area)/country of the candidate in the subject line of the message. The deadline for the submission of applications is 12 April 2021.