“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”
Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in more than 60 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
The HI network is an organisation made up of a Federation (with 2 operational HQs in Lyon and Brussels), 8 national associations (Germany, Belgium, Canada, United States, France, Luxembourg, United Kingdom and Switzerland) and the HI Institute on Humanitarian Action. All these entities work concertedly to implement HI’s international aid and development mandate.
The Federation is responsible for implementing the network’s social missions in around sixty countries. It operates under the names “Humanity & Inclusion” or “Handicap International” depending on the country.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
JOB CONTEXT :
Handicap International operations in Iraq: In Iraq, HI has been registered and operational in the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI) since 1991, implementing development programming in the governorates of Dohuk, Erbil, Sulaymaniya and Halabja, in order to advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities and improve their access to services through support to Disabled Persons Organizations (DPOs). Since 2014, HI has scaled up its intervention in Iraq to respond to the humanitarian needs generated by the capture of territory by the IS-group, subsequent military operations and the widespread displacement of Iraqi populations. HI has become a lead implementing agency in the emergency response in the Health and Protection sectors, operating across Ninewa, Kirkuk, Baghdad, and Anbar Governorates mostly.
To follow the evolution of Iraq context after the recent conflict with Daesh the new Operational Strategy for HI’s Programme in Iraq for the period 2020-2022, plan the global objective of HI programming in Iraq around three central pillars:
1- Health: Ensure access and quality of specialized rehabilitation services for the most vulnerable people whose physical and functional and/or psychological integrity is compromised, through the strengthening of the health system : skills development, referral pathways, community-based rehabilitation.
2- Protection: promoting an integrated response to the risks associated with explosive hazards through mine risk education, clearance, victims assistance, including PSS.
3- Social Inclusion : promotion of access to services for vulnerable groups, particularly people with disability with inclusive humanitarian action, strengthening of governance policies and civil-society organizations and tailored livelihood
These pillars are complemented by three cross-cutting themes: subsidiarity and partnership & Innovation and research.
To carry out our Strategy in Iraq, HI is looking for a Country Director for 36 months
Under the direct responsibility and support of the Geographic Director for Middle-East (HQ based), you will be responsible for:
- You are the main interlocutor of Handicap International towards authorities, institutional donors, humanitarian actors and partners;
- You participate actively to coordination and information meetings (NCCI meetings, meeting INGOs/UN Humanitarian Coordinator, Mine Action Coordination meeting, etc.);
- You represent the organisation, its activities and programs during delegation visits in Iraq
- In coordination with the Regional Communication Officer, you respond to media solicitations.
STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT OF OPERATIONS
§ You ensure the implementation of the global strategy, including emergency, recovery and development intervention;
- You regularly follow up humanitarian needs, donors’ strategies, financing opportunities into the intervention area;
- You regularly update and adapt the Programme strategy to the context;
- You lead and/or organize assessment missions for the development of new activities/projects;
- You ensure and coordinate the projects’ proposal design (renewal of projects or new projects);
- You discuss proposal submitted towards potential donors and negotiate related budgets at country level.
Supervision AND monitoring
§ You ensure the smooth coordination between the different components: emergency, recovery and development;
- You ensure the coherence and the homogeneity of all projects under your responsibility
- You organise and animate team coordination meetings;
- You conduct field visits on each operational bases on a regular basis;
- You ensure a monthly follow up of the projects impact indicators;
- You guarantee the respect of applicable logistics and administrative procedures through the supervision of the Support Services Coordinator;
- You are responsible for the monthly follow up of the budgets through management of the finance coordinator;
- You are responsible for the transparency of acquisition, utilisation and follow up of all materials and equipment dedicated to the Programme through management of the logistics coordinator;
- You are responsible for eligibility and good utilisation of funds allocated to the projects.
- You ensure that cross cutting subjects are included in the project discussion, development and implementation and that the expatriate and national team receive an adequate awareness (eg: gender, Inclusion, PSEA)
- You directly manage the Security Coordinator of the Programme;
- Update security plans in collaboration with the Security Management Team (Country level), the Security Advisor and the Geographic Director (HQ based);
- Ensure the strict respect of any applicable security measures;
- Lead regular meeting with the Security Management Team of the country
- Contribute to the regional geopolitical information update : intelligence, sources crossing, interagency sharing information;
- Conduct security assessment visit in new potential areas of intervention.
- Coordinate implementation of any emergency security procedure (evacuation, hibernation, etc.) and ensure link with HQ in such cases.
- Direct management of 11 senior management team.
- You ensure strict application and respect of the General Terms and Conditions of engagement for international staff of Handicap International. You contribute to define certain HR rules taking into account the specific context of the mission (security, social life, breaks, etc.) and by applying HI International Package;
- You ensure feed back towards your team about issues potentially raised by them;
- You ensure a good communication – coordination – information level of each member of your team through regular coordination meetings (or other if needed);
- You are concerned and aware of individual and professional evolution of each expatriate, and its development within the Programme : individual interviews, oral and written evaluations;
- You ensure conflict resolution (individual and professional) within your team and inform you’re the Geographic Director;
- You propose relevant adaptation to the organisational chart of the Programme and contribute to its implementation (job descriptions, etc.), in collaboration with the expatriate team and the Geographic Director.
- You ensure production of internal monthly sitreps;
- You regularly update donors on projects follow up (through contractual obligations or ad-hoc reports);
- You regularly update Regional Representatives, field offices and other HQ-based departments (newsletter, activity report etc…)
- You provide the Geographic Director with a mission report and/or handover document at the end of your assignment;
- Debriefing at HQ at the end of your mission (and during Home-Break).
SUPPORT TO OTHER PROGRAMMES OF THE REGION
- Ensure a good coordination with the other Country Directors of the Middle-East;
- Facilitate the implementation of cross boarding activities when necessary.
YOUR PROFILE :
- You hold a Master or equivalent degree in international relations, political sciences, and communication, management or development studies.
- You have minimum 5 years of relevant experience in senior management positions in international NGOs and preferably a previous experience as Country Director
- You have good programme management and strategic development skills
- You are assertive and demonstrate good communication skills
- You know HI’s vision, mandate, values and strategy
- You are fluent in English, knowledge of Arabic is an asset
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION :
The position is based in Erbil, where there is an active social life and most facilities are available and Low level of insecurity. The position will require frequent travel to the areas of intervention (medium to high level of insecurity) in intervention’s areas, where HI teams are working in community resources centres, IDP camps, health facilities and the communities in areas of Iraqi Kurdistan, Kirkuk, Nineveh, Diyala, Anbar and Baghdad. The security context remains fluid and movement restrictions can be introduced on an ad hoc basis.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. Particular attention is paid to health issues and your personal situation.
We offer an induction and training path adapted to our staff members and we have a HR policy oriented toward mobility and professional development.
· 36 months International contract starting from June 2021
· The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:**
o Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals**
o Pension scheme adapted to the situation of our employees: If you already have a personal pension scheme HI will contribute at the same level of your personal monthly contribution with a maximum of 272.53€/month ; If you do not have a personal pension scheme, we will open a private pension account with your contribution of 272.53€/month and a contribution of HI of the same amount**
o Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution **
o Repatriation insurance paid by HI
· Salary from 3232 € gross/month upon experience
· Perdiem : 494.83 € net/month – paid in the field
· Hardship : 250 € net/month paid with your salary (REMOVE IF NOT APPLICABLE)
· Paid leaves : 25 days per year;
· R&R : according to the level of the mission Level 2: 5 days every 3 months + possible transport/package support.
· Position: open to couples (from 12 months of mission)
§ Support travel costs (air ticket & visa) for accompanying dependent and health/ repatriation insurance if the dependent has no income/
§ Mission of more than 18 months: payment of one yearly additional return flight
· Housing : Collective or individual taken in charge by HI
How to apply
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying !
Only successful candidates will be contacted.