Helvetas is an organization specialized in development cooperation and humanitarian response, anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner. As per October 2021 or upon agreement we are looking for a Country Director Nepal 100%.
Helvetas has been working in Nepal for more than 63 years. Currently, it runs more than ten projects in three working areas: water, food and climate; voice, inclusion, cohesion; and skills, jobs, income.
The position as Country Director requires a visionary leader who is an accomplished credible and very experienced manager with a high-level understanding of development issues in Nepal, the region, and the global level. S/he will work closely with the Programme Coordinator at the Helvetas head office in Switzerland.
Your main tasks
- Lead to develop and review Helvetas Nepal’s strategic planning and ensures its effective execution
- Provide strategic guidance for the Helvetas Nepal country programmes
- Guide senior staff and Team Leaders to achieve the organization’s and individual project objectives
- Motivate, coach, and manage the Helvetas Nepal’s diverse team
- Foster an atmosphere of cooperation and cohesive relationships among colleagues in the team
- Take a pro-active role in the development policy dialogue with the Government of Nepal and the donor community with reference to Helvetas experiences in Nepal
- Maintain and further strengthen networks and relationships with central and local governments, strategic donor partners and non-governmental development partners
- Promote acquisition activities, innovation, learning and knowledge sharing
- Ensure efficient human resources, financial and administrative management and compliance with organisational policies and guidelines.
- Post graduate degree in any relevant field, course in international development cooperation will be an advantage
- More than 10 years of experience in similar leadership and senior management positions in development cooperation in Nepal and abroad
- Experience in leading organisational strategic planning and ensuring its effective execution
- Proven record in leadership: motivating, coaching and developing individuals and facilitating knowledge sharing
- Track record of successful acquisition
- Experience in efficient human resources, finance and administrative management of a development organisation
- Track record of developing, leading and managing multi sector projects
- Experience in policy dialogue with government and external support agencies
- High level of negotiation and influencing skills and capacity to develop and maintain strong relationship with all stakeholders
- Strong motivator and mentor; proven record in building organisational talent by nurturing and encouraging empowerment and developing staff and partners
- Excellent analytical, conceptual and programmatic competencies
- Strong diplomatic and communication skills; ability to communicate with a broad spectrum of individuals and organisations with command of English and Nepali languages
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the development context, social, political, ethnic and economic fabrics of Nepal
- Good understanding and knowledge of political economy of development cooperation and federalism
A contract of two years with possibility of extension. Attractive working conditions, a satisfactory and challenging job in a multicultural team. Helvetas strives for an equitable work force diversity and gender balance among its staff.
How to apply
Interested Nepali citizens are requested to send their complete application – including motivation letter, CV, work certificates and diplomas – together with three referees via our online recruiting portal. Application submission through any other form will not be entertained. The application deadline is April 11, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further screening process. For additional information, please visit our website www.helvetas.org or www.helvetas.org/en/nepal