DanChurchAid (DCA) is looking for dynamic and experienced Country Director to lead its team of humanitarian mine action and humanitarian response professionals.
The DCA programme in Iraq is young and growing. DCA began implementing humanitarian activities in Iraq through local implementing partners in 2017, and currently has offices in Erbil and Baghdad. The programme aims to mitigate the consequences of conflict and displacement by contributing to recovery and enhanced resilience of the most vulnerable. The programme is protection-focused with an emphasis on Humanitarian Mine Action, child protection, psychosocial support and livelihoods. All programming in Iraq is done through partnerships with local or national Iraqi NGOs and includes comprehensive structured training and capacity building components.
As our new Country Director in Iraq, you will lead the DCA country management team and ensure staff welfare and a conducive working environment for 15 national and 7 international staff. You will lead and inspire the strategic direction of the programme, ensuring high quality, accountability and innovative programme implementation. You will be responsible for nurturing relations with authorities, donors, partners and other stakeholders, and you will keep a watchful eye out for fundraising opportunities. You will also ensure a strong focus on safety and security management.
You will be responsible for the overall leadership and management of the country programme including
- Develop and promote DCA’s vision for the Iraq Programme, rooted in the triple nexus
- Set and implement DCA’s Iraq strategy
- Resource the vision and strategy and ensure continued consolidation and development of the programme
- Lead, support and mentor our team of dedicated international and national staff
- Represent DCA in Iraq towards local authorities, international and national humanitarian stakeholders and local communities
- Ensure delivery with relevance, effectiveness, transparency, and accountability in all areas of work
- Oversee grants management and manage donor and stakeholder relationships.
- Ensure compliance with DCA policies, standards, SOPs and national law
- Maintain a strong focus on security management, conducting regular monitoring and analysis of the security environment
You will be based in Erbil, Iraq, and must anticipate regular trips to project areas in Iraq, as well as to Bagdad. The DCA Country Office is currently situated in Erbil but upcoming strategic discussions may result in the establishment of DCA representations in Ninewa and Baghdad.
You have the following qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years leadership experience at a similar level in complex humanitarian environments
- Strong programme implementation experience and all-round knowledge of financial, administrative, security, logistical, operational and grants management. As the programme is small but growing, we are looking for a profile with strong grants management experience
- Strong ability to plan, coordinate and lead processes that include multiple stakeholders and interests
- Experience with fundraising, networking, donor liaison and coordination,
- Proven experience of risk and safety and security management
- Proven ability to mentor, coach and develop staff, and create a conducive working atmosphere in a hardship environment
- Cultural sensitivity, maturity, strong communication and diplomatic skills, with the ability to build relations both within and outside DCA
- Fluency in written and spoken English**
- A relevant academic qualification**
- Former experience in Iraq or the near region is an added advantage**
- A one-year renewable contract
- Non-family posting based in Erbil with in-country travel. Position may relocate to Bagdad.
- A competitive salary package, including hardship allowance, to be negotiated based on experience level
- A generous R&R package
- 6 weeks of paid vacation
- Insurance as per industry standards
- An opportunity to make a difference and improve the lives of people living in conflict
Qualified and interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnicity are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. Only applications in English consisting as a minimum of a motivation letter and a CV will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
How to apply
Please note that only applications submitted through our recruitment system will be considered: Please apply here:
Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding Policy.
DCA conducts an anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment with us.
For further information please visit our website, http://www.danchurchaid.org.
Closing date for applications will be 18 April 2021. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis. DCA reserves the right to select a candidate prior to the application deadline.