Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-state actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
In Yemen, Geneva call has a field presence and a multiyear program aiming at developing humanitarian engagement with armed parties and communities as a mean to create space for dialogue on the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is operating from Aden besides exploring opportunities for geographical expansion in the rest of the country.
To provide vision and strategic direction to country program in Yemen. This includes the qualitative implementation of Geneva Call’s humanitarian response (humanitarian dialogue, research, community-based approach), advocacy, fundraising and representation
Strategy and program implementation:
- Leads on development of country strategy;
- Analysis the humanitarian and security situation in country and identify areas of interests of work for Geneva Call;
- Ensure conflict sensitivity in country programs’ design and planning;
- Provide leadership, quality delivery, management, monitoring, evaluation and learning of the country program, against Geneva Call tri annual strategy;
- Manages, supervises and coordinates all the activities related to the implementation of Geneva Calls projects in Yemen according to the proposal guidelines and indicators, budget and work plans;
- Ensures that programs are monitored and evaluated. Promotes sharing of learning with others and drawing on learning from across Geneva Call and externally, utilizes the results to inform program decisions and enhance institutional knowledge.
- Overall responsible for security;
- Ensure the development of updated context analysis and risks analysis based on reliable networks;
- Responsible for anticipating and managing risks that could threaten the safety of the staff, operational viability and the organization’s reputation. Responsible for managing security in line with Geneva Call’s Policy.
Mission Management & Coordination
- Overall responsible for all resources and implementation of programs and activities within Country;
- Builds partnerships and represents GC;
- Manages staff, budget, assets and funding as per procedures and national requirements;
- Ensures transparent and timely financial management respecting deadline and procedures;
- Ensures the mobilization of necessary resources (financial, logistics, HR) to implement the country programs and contribute to the growth of the missions;
- Identify human resources needs, recruit, and ensure induction;
- Overall development and supervision of country teams (including coaching and evaluating) in accordance with internal policies and procedures and national labour laws;
- Promotes and creates a culture to ensure knowledge sharing, innovation and capacity building and further professional development opportunities for all staff in appropriate fields;
- Communicate regularly with staff and promote positive conflict resolution;
- Ensures that information is properly circulated between Headquarters and the field and ensures that due dates are respected.
- Ensures that Geneva Call’s work in Yemen is adequately funded and implemented;
- Initiates and leads the development of new project proposals;
- Build relationships with external donors and proactively identify new donors;
- Develop and implement a country fundraising strategy that contributes to achieving the overall aim of Geneva Call in the field of humanitarian engagement for enhanced civilian protection;
- Approves all technical and financial proposals before submission to donors and ensures they are contextual and address specific needs;
Communications and advocacy
- Represents Geneva Call in Yemen;
- Ensures that all formalities required by government and other official agencies are properly prepared and punctually presented;
- Actively participates in meetings and fora organised by the GO/NGO/UN, sectors as relevant to Geneva Call work in Yemen with focus on the humanitarian particularly the protection cluster;
- Liaises strategically with Government representatives as well as with potential in country donors.
Reports to the Head of Region; supervises the support team in Yemen; supervises the Programme team in Yemen, and relevant units at HQ as appropriate for technical support on MEAL, Policy and Legal matters, and communications
Liaises with local and international civil society/NGOs; field-based stakeholders; tribal and traditional leaders; communities; authorities
Represents GC among external stakeholders
Minimum 5 years equivalent work experience in a humanitarian organization, including in managing teams of at least 20 people; Experience of capacity building and mentoring, team leadership and management; Demonstrated skills and experience in security management
- Completed Master Degree in relevant field such as Political or Social Science, International Humanitarian Law or Human Rights
- Excellent English required
- Arabic is strongly preferred
Conflict of Interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : Country Director
- International contract, based in Aden, Yemen
- Preferred start date: ASAP
How to apply
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, in PDF format to [email protected], Ref: “HOM YEMEN” no later than April 19, 2021. All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.