The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Country Representative / Project Delegate (m/f/d) to ensure the trustful cooperation with our partner, the South Sudanese Red Cross (SSRC), and to take responsibility for the implementation of the emergency project on organisational readiness and WASH. GRC has only recently re-opened offices in South Sudan, this mission is therefore focussing on setting up systems and mechanisms for a new delegation. In addition, the delegate will support SRCS in humanitarian aid activities for South Sudanese IDPs and host communities. GRC is hoping to be able to expand the partnership with SSRC and increase the project activities in country.
Duration: 01.05.2021 for 12 months (extension is possible)
Location: Juba, South Sudan (with regular field trips to Maridi)
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Ensure and facilitate close coordination and cooperation between South Sudanese Red Cross and further develop the GRC Country Strategy and profile accordingly.
- Monitor all relevant socio-political developments in country with a particular focus on the humanitarian sector and disaster management.
- Represent GRC at country level and maintain close cooperation with the RC/RC Movement, the Government, the German Embassy, other relevant international and national external aid agencies as well as external donors.
- Further develop existing structures and procedures of the GRC office, including finance, procurement, HR, security, inventories, fixed and financial assets following GRC guidelines and procedures.
- Monitor donor calls and funding opportunities and support the preparation of concept notes and project proposals in line with the GRC country strategy.
- Ensure implementation of above described project (focus on WASH and Readiness) in close collaboration with SSRC project team and in respect of the GRC, SSRC and GFFO guidelines, rules and regulations; project region is Maridi.
- Provide technical support to SSRC staff in the field of readiness and WASH.
- Ensure monitoring and reporting of the project implementation including data collection, indicator based reporting and project controlling.
- Ensure accurate project budgeting, financial management and expenditure tracking according to GRC and donor regulations.
- Narrative and financial reporting.
- Ensure visibility and information sharing on the project with all stakeholders, including project beneficiaries, partners and local authorities as well as the donor.
- Contribute to a conducive work environment.
- Proven experience managing and setting-up an office and building cooperation mechanisms with local partners;
- Minimum of 5 years field based professional experience in implementation and coordination of emergency aid activities, ideally in the region;
- Proven expertise in capacity-building and organizational development, experience in working with Red Cross / Red Crescent Societies is a strong asset;
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in design and implementation of WASH/Readiness-focused programming;
- Strong project management skills, particularly PCM and participatory methods;
- Solid experience in finance management and prudent stewardship of project budget, including reporting;
- Strong skills in networking, negotiation and advocacy;
- Proven capacity in operational and structural planning of emergency relief operations, as well as mainstreaming new concepts and approaches;
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to build relationships at all levels, taking into account cultural and language differences;
- Experience in training local staff and community volunteers, and provide technical support;
- Oral and written fluency in English; knowledge of German would be an asset;
- Excellent computer skills (spreadsheets, word-processing, databases and other programs);
- Readiness to travel to and work in remote areas and as the (currently) only GRC representative is essential. Experience of living and working in insecure and conflict-affected environments is an asset;
- Ability to work independently and as a team member;
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles;
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process ‘working abroad under specific climate and health conditions’;
- Valid Driving Licence.
The GRC offers you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. This is a non-family posting. Accommodation will be covered. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance). The GRC is as well covering a home flight within a 12-month period of assignment, medical check-ups before and after your mission. The briefings in HQ Berlin include Psycho-Social-Support coaching.
How to apply
Kindly submit your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://drkhrnet.de) until March 21stth 2021.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2021-023 with your application and indicate the earliest possible start of your assignment.