EnCompass is seeking a Deputy CLA Specialist to holistically assist the USAID Regional Mission for Ukraine and Belarus (USAID/Ukraine) in its monitoring, and its collaborating, learning, and adapting (CLA) needs over the implementation of its five-year 2018-2023 Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS). The Deputy CLA Specialist will support the Sr. Specialist and Chief of Party (COP) in overseeing and managing all CLA Unit tasks, and will work in collaboration with the Knowledge Management and Communication Specialist, the Capacity Building Specialist, GESI Advisor, and other team members. Additionally, this individual will work with short-term technical assistance (STTA) specialists from EnCompass headquarters, local STTA, and specialists from EnCompass’ sub-contractor in the UMLS project, NORC at the University of Chicago. The Deputy CLA Specialist is expected to work with these diverse specialists to provide high-level, seamless, and proactive client support to the Mission related to CLA tasks. This includes responsibility for high quality delivery of technical work in areas such as skills-based capacity building, as well as deeply collaborative and proactive engagement in adaptive work focused on development the adaptive management capacity of the Mission on multiple levels.
This position is a full-time employee position. The position is currently a remote/virtual position due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In time, the position will evolve to in-person collaboration in Kyiv.
Position Duties And Responsibilities
This position’s overarching duties include providing support Mission collaboration, learning, and adapting tasks by contributing to the Mission PMP, ensuring that CLA is considered, included, discussed, and scheduled by Mission stakeholders and appropriate COR/AORs and others. S/he will support specific tasks throughout the life of the CDCS that promote CLA such as, but not limited to: cross-office synergizing; collaboration across DOs; analyzing and using learning from activities; conducting and facilitating pause and reflect events for the Mission; engaging stakeholders; making adaptation recommendations; and supporting staff capacity-building.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Support the development and implementation of Collaborating, Learning and Adapting activities for the USAID/Ukraine mission and implementing partner community
- Support both Objectives of the UMLS contract either as part of the CLA team or collaboratively with members of the UMLS MEL team
- Support the technical work of the CLA team, particularly in designing and delivering capacity development initiatives
- Collaborate with members of the MEL team higher-level strategic adaptive work to achieve CDCS and PMP outcomes
- Manage and oversee operational implementation of the Mission Capacity Building Plan
- Coordinate and collaborate regularly with the MEL and DOC team within the UMLS Project to ensure cross learning, capacity building, and strategic implementation
- Oversee tasks and provide oversight to mid-level CLA unit team members as/if tasked by the Senior CLA Specialist
- Design agendas and facilitate workshops for USAID and stakeholders
- Design follow-on resources to workshops, pause and reflects, and capacity building work
- Conduct online facilitation and production (training provided) to optimize service to the client independently and in collaboration with other specialists
- Review and become familiar with documents and other resources necessary to understand and respond to Mission and stakeholder needs
- Take responsibility for work requests from the Mission as assigned by the COP or Senior CLA Specialist
- Participate in and/or lead meetings with the Mission, implementing partners, or EnCompass and NORC HQ teams as necessary or requested
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of eight years professional experience managing a learning team, ideally using collaboration, learning, and adapting approaches in a development context
- Master’s Degree in development studies, organizational development, international relations, demography, political science or related fields or a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field and five additional years of the relevant professional experience noted above
- USAID experience and familiarity with CLA concepts and approaches within USAID
- Eagerness to build capacity and train staff in MEL and CLA skills
- Willingness to learn, innovate and adapt in all aspects of design, planning, and implementation, including high-level online facilitation techniques
- Demonstrated ability to be collaborative, flexible, and creative
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills with evidence of ability to establish strong working relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Evidence of open, adaptive and learning-oriented management style
- Proven success in leading highly collaborative, dynamic teams and managing change
- Proven experience in iterative, flexible, adaptive management of teams and projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Ukrainian and/or Russian
- Ukrainian Nationals are encouraged to apply
How to apply
How To Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the application.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
For US based positions: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.