ABOUT THE ROLE:
AdvocAid’s Development Associate is responsible for driving the organisation’s income generation – as a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the role is strategic, fast paced, works with every department in the organisation, varied, and highly rewarding. We are looking for an energetic, proactive, and successful fundraiser to drive a fundraising strategy that supports the implementation of AdvocAid’s 2021-2025 Uman Get Rayt Strategy with an emphasis on feminist and flexible funding.
This position is responsible for line managing one to two interns, who focus on AdvocAid’s communications. **
- Minimum 2 years experience in a fundraising role, with a focus on fundraising for the global south.
- Experience in more than one fundraising discipline (our priorities indicated with an asterix) – individual giving*, major donor, trust/foundations*, corporate* and institutional.
- Adept at drafting log-frames, theories of change and narratives for submissions valued at ≥$50k.
- Experience proactively identifying new funders and cultivating them into live donors and long-term allies.
- Experience turning programmatic ideas into multi-year programmes that can be communicated to a range of different donors.
- >5 years experience in a senior fundraising role; experience designing interventions in line with an organisational strategy.
- Experience developing and implementing an individual giving strategy
- Experience developing budgets that account for adequate human resources to implement the programme, and ensure complete cost recovery.
- Experience identifying, cultivating, and converting Feminist Funders into long-term strategic allies.
- Experience organising fundraising events
- Experience working with a passionate and highly ambitious human rights grassroots organisation, with feminist principles.
- Fluent in English.
- Excellent written and presentation skills.
- Knowledgeable on fundraising and communications legalities and best practice, including GDPR.
- Highly organised – able to juggle multiple deadlines at any one time and develop relationships over the long-term while reacting to short term priorities.
- Excellent communication skills – particularly via email and video call.
- Fluent in English and Krio.
Drive AdvocAid’s fundraising strategy with a heavy focus on retention of existing donors, diversifying our income streams, and prioritising feminist funding that enables AdvocAid to implement it’s Uman Get Rayt Strategy – 2021-2025. This will include:
● Develop and implement an individual giving fundraising strategy as a priority growth area for AdvocAid in our 15th anniversary year
● Proactive research to identify wide-ranging funding opportunities that align with AdvocAid’s strategic objectives, including trusts, foundations, institutional donors and corporates.
● Nurture relationships with new funders by identifying opportunities to engage them in AdvocAid’s work such as through reports, briefings and events; cultivate existing donors with excellent reporting, communications, and identifying appropriate opportunities to engage them in AdvocAid’s work.
● Track strategic funding opportunities and ensure timely submission of high quality funding applications to increase AdvocAid’s financial sustainability. This role will be responsible for the drafting of funding applications, logical frameworks/theories of change, and where possible, donor budgets.
● Work with the Executive Director and Finance Manager to ensure all submissions are in line with our financial requirements, including adequate cost recovery and accurately reflecting the human resources needed to implement the programmes.
● Manage AdvocAid’s donor database, tracking prospective donors, submitted applications, and historical data on donor engagement
● Organise the delivery of a minimum of two fundraising events per year.
● Lead on the review of AdvocAid’s Fundraising Strategy. Participate in and minute quarterly Board Fundraising Calls, as invited by the Executive Director.
● Lead on the drafting of donor reports, in consultation with the MEAL Officer, Programme Manager and Executive Director.
● Planning and delivery of any communication activities in donor-funded projects not already specified in this description of services.
● Work with AdvocAid’s programming team and the Executive Director to identify interventions that will deliver on AdvocAid’s Uman Get Rayt Strategy (2021-2025)
● Identify donors that can support these interventions, and submit timely and high quality bids to these donors
● Manage AdvocAid’s Global Giving projects, including reporting, donor thanking, promoting bonus days, and maximising donations.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
● Liaise with the MEAL Officer for the joint development of communication products drawing on learning and insights from AdvocAid research and data. This may include infographics for social media, blogs for the website, and other learning materials as appropriate.
Support ‘AdvocAid Allies’
● Liaise with the AdvocAid Allies Coordinator (voluntary position) to ensure AdvocAid Allies raise awareness about AdvocAid, develop new strategic relationships (funder, academic, corporate and other) for AdvocAid and fundraise for our work. This may include pro-actively identifying fundraising needs or particular partnerships to develop.
● Develop and share communication materials as needed by AdvocAid Allies. This may include, for example, banners or one-pager summaries that Allies could use at events and talks.
● Regularly post updates and content on the AdvocAid Allies Facebook group.
How to apply
To apply, submit your CV (no more than three pages) and a covering letter (maximum one page) to [email protected] Please address your application to the Executive Director and write “Development Associate application” as the subject line.
The deadline for applications is 12 midnight GMT on Friday 9 April 2021. We expect to conduct interviews in the two weeks after the deadline.
We welcome applications from Sierra Leonean and non-Sierra Leonean candidates, and particularly encourage women to apply.