Save the Children Canada is a member of Save the Children International, a federation that works in more than 120 countries worldwide delivering programs focused on health and nutrition, education, child protection, child poverty, humanitarian response, and child rights governance. As the world’s leading independent organization for children, Save the Children’s vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation.
The Director, Direct Marketing (DDM), who reports to the Chief Development Officer, will conceptualize, manage and oversee the implementation of a strategic direct marketing fundraising program ensuring Save the Children Canada meets its annual financial targets and metrics by clearly articulating the value proposition of Save the Children to donors and the public. As a leader within the Save the Children Canada’s Resource Development Team, the DDM is responsible for the development and implementation of an integrated direct marketing strategy focused on increasing the number of active donors and unrestricted revenue through various channels including direct mail, face-to-face, telemarketing and digital platforms. The DDM is responsible for leading a team to successfully implement the strategy through the establishment of portfolio metrics, monitoring and providing leadership support; as well as maintaining up-to-date knowledge of industry best practices. The DDM provides leadership to the Acquisition Manager-Face2Face & Telemarketing, Acquisition Manager-Digital & DRTV, Retention Manager, and Manager of Donor Relations & Database. These roles will work collaboratively to set acquisition targets, establish marketing plans and track progress toward these goals. Working closely with the Head of Communications, Media & Public Relations, the DDM will play a lead role in developing and integrating digital initiatives to create a pipeline of donors in support of annual financial goals. Furthermore, the DDM will provide strategic leadership in developing innovative strategies and tactics ensuring that Save the Children Canada’s direct marketing programming is efficient, competitive and forward-thinking.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Develop, implement and lead the annual operating and long-term strategy and goals for the Direct Marketing Program including the budget, performance metrics and related goals and objectives.
- Identify new and innovative Direct Marketing opportunities including planning, developing and managing the strategic use of new digital tactics and technologies to ensure a strong focus on current and emerging fundraising technologies including online giving, social media and stewardship (e.g. the creation and implementation of donation specific web pages and e-communications).
- Working with channel managers as the leads, oversee supplier contacts and work with external suppliers to ensure strong, compelling and integrated appeals are created across all DM/online revenue streams.
- Ensure revenue growth across online fundraising channels, and donor acquisition channels such as face-to-face, lead generation, cross selling and direct mail.
- Focus on integrating direct marketing strategies across relational portfolios to optimize results.
- Contribute to revenue and lead generation as it relates to the relational portfolios – i.e., Planned Giving, Major Gifts/Intermediate Giving, Corporate, etc.
- Develop and manage reporting and financial tracking of Direct Marketing channel activities, ensuring controls are in place to monitor and report on revenue and expenditure.
- Regular reporting to the CDO on portfolio activities and progress on predetermined metrics, highlighting risks and providing solutions to ensure revenue targets and key KPI’s are met.
- Prepare reports for various stakeholders as required and within required timelines (Finance, Senior Leadership Team, Board Meetings, etc.).
- Lead team on operational execution to support strategic organizational goals.
- Set clear team and individual performance expectations for productivity, quality, and success; providing direction and support as needed.
- Approve, manage and monitor staff operating expenses.
- Effectively resolve issues through appropriate escalation channels.
- Maintain relevant standard operating procedures.
- In compliance with HR policies and the Collective Agreement, lead employees using a performance management process that includes performance goal setting, timely feedback, and recognition.
- Mentor and coach employees to support professional development.
- Manage new employee onboarding, ensuring employees receive relevant training and tools to be successful in their roles.
- Model behaviours consistent with Save the Children values, actively creating an organizational culture that reflects values.
- Deliver timely and effective communications, promoting open dialogue.
- Managerial responsibilities of ensuring health and safety, proactive risk management through organizational policy enforcement and maintaining current organizational policies and procedures as well as integrating Child Safeguarding practices across our work.
Qualifications & Competencies (include but are not limited to):
- Minimum 7 years of direct experience (e.g. same or similar position). Annual giving/direct marketing/online giving experience at a senior level, or equivalent combination of education, training & experience
- Minimum 3 years of supervisory/managerial experience and a minimum 3 direct reports.
- Completion of a University Degree.
- Excellent project management experience with the ability to develop and implement strategic and creative fundraising plans with clear performance metrics and goals.
- Strong finance/analytical skills: proven ability to evaluate and assess direct marketing programs/results and develop new strategies to meet and exceed goals (e.g. increasing revenue goals year over year).
- Proficient in workflow planning with the ability to recognize opportunities and prioritize them to attain goals.
- Proven experience in digital marketing including the management of online marketing programs.
- Exceptional knowledge and application of digital fundraising, direct marketing, and annual giving best practices.
- Solid understanding of database management, gift processing and donor relations.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written); able to communicate in a compelling manner with tact, diplomacy and discretion.
- Ability to provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behaviour, optimism and high achievement.
- Strong interpersonal skills; a leader with a passion for mentoring/coaching staff.
- Advanced competence in MS office suites including data and financial analysis in Excel.
- Competence in the use of CRM databases.
- Adhere to Child Safeguarding policies & procedures.
- Police Check and Vulnerable Sector screening.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY?
If you are interested in this position, please visit https://www.savethechildren.ca/ and submit your resume and cover letter by April 19, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on ongoing basis. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SCC is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources (416) 221-5501 ext. 262.