Full-time position based in Brussels
Founded in 1950, World Vision is a global Christian relief, development, and advocacy organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty, violence, disaster, and injustice. World Vision has over 37,000 staff in nearly 100 countries. We collaborate with others in pursuit of positively impacting the most vulnerable children, their families, and communities around the world.
World Vision EU Representation (WV EUREP) in Brussels is one of several “global capitals” based in strategic global locations and an association of WV offices engaged strategically with the EU. Our main goal is to see a tangible increase in political and financial investment in children by the EU. We work towards this goal and World Vision’s main priority areas through two strategic avenues: supporting the World Vision Partnership with expertise and knowledge on EU funding and advocating for children’s rights at EU level.
Purpose of the Position
The Director of EU Advocacy & Policy will contribute to the optimal functioning of the Brussels based World Vision (WV) EUREP office and to the achievement of one of its strategic objectives: leading advocacy with European Union institutions, influencing EU policies and practices that impact the rights and well-being of vulnerable children worldwide. Managing World Vision’s Brussels advocacy & policy team, building strong relationships, networks and credibility with EU and other Brussels based stakeholders and across the international World Vision Partnership is also part of the objectives of the Director of EU Advocacy & Policy.
The Director of EU Advocacy & Policy will work under the supervision and authority of the WV EUREP Executive Director and will also have a functional reporting line with the World Vision’s Global Advocacy & External Engagement team.
MAJOR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. EU External Engagement and Advocacy
- Plan and oversee advocacy strategies and activities to influence the policies and practices of EU institutions in line with WV strategic priorities;
- Build relationships and networks with key stakeholders in EU institutions and relevant Brussels-based civil society networks, coalitions and organisations;
- Represent WV at EU and civil society events, speaking on behalf of WV at public policy platforms, panels, conferences;
- Lead on overarching EU policies and processes and support team members in sectoral/thematic policy areas in line with EUREP’s Strategic Realisation Plan.
2. Team Leadership
- Contribute to overall EUREP strategic and team development of the Brussels office;
- Contribute to EUREP management team on strategy, policy and day to day operations and ensure application in his/her team;
- Oversee the design and implementation of EUREP’s communication strategy;
- Manage, motivate, support and enhance capacities of EUREP’s advocacy and policy staff;
- Oversee and support team plans, activities, performance and development;
- Build internal cohesion in the team around team vision and objectives.
3. World Vision Partnership Relations
- Closely engage with the EUREP Partnership team to coordinate and align WV’s engagement with the EU on strategy, policy and partnerships;
- Coordinate with WV EU Member States (MS) offices, leveraging their policy expertise and EU MS influencing opportunities;
- Convene European Advocacy Reference Group (EARG) meetings composed of WV EUREP members;
- Coordinate with other WV ‘Global Capital’ offices leveraging expertise & synergies between EU, UN and AU influencing opportunities;
- Contribute to, and draw on, WV’s Global Advocacy & External Engagement team and community of practice for policy and campaign direction, content, expertise & analysis;
- Ensure timely planning and reporting contributions to World Vision’s Global Advocacy and External Engagement team;
- Liaise with and draw on WV’s external engagement and policy expertise in priority themes and sectors as per the EUREP Strategic Realisation Plan including: child protection and participation, livelihoods, humanitarian aid and faith & development.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Development, public policy or a related field;
· Minimum 5 years of experience in international development and the role of policy and advocacy in bringing about changes in public policy;
· Proven track record in developing and influencing policy;
· Strong knowledge of the EU and its institutions;
· Experience of working in and/or leading broad civil society coalitions;
· Experience of building networks of key stakeholders;
· Experience of working with the media and other means of communication to change attitudes;
· Experience of managing staff;
· Highly effective in written and verbal communication in English (and preferably in French);
· Computer literacy;
· Excellent planning and organisational skills;
· Willingness to contribute within a small team and a multi-cultural environment, diplomatic communicator;
· Citizenship of an EU member state or a valid residence and work permit for Belgium is a must;
· Ability to act with integrity, demonstrating sound ethical principles;
· Support for World Vision’s core values and Christian identity.
We offer a long-term contract, full-time to start rapidly and a work environment where good team spirit, collaboration and personal development are held high.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter outlining how you match the job description to firstname.lastname@example.org and Jeroen_uytterschaut@wvi.org with the subject line “First Name + Last Name – Director of EU Advocacy & Policy” by 23 April 2021 noon (12.00 PM).
Due to limited resources, we will unfortunately not be able to reply to individual queries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.