At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Opportunity Development (OPD) – Pact exists to help create a world where those who are poor and marginalized exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future. The Opportunity Development team contributes to realizing this purpose by overseeing Pact’s new business development activities. Every member of the Opportunity Development team at Pact is committed to sharing in the success of the organization, its peers, and individual accomplishments. The Opportunity Development team is managed through a matrixed structure that promotes winning proposals through collaboration. The team offers team members, both experienced and new professionals, opportunities for learning and professional development. Ideal candidates bring positive energy to this dynamic work environment.
The Director/Senior Director, Opportunity Development, plays a leadership role in Pact’s new business development function, both inward and outward facing. They work with Technical Leads, Regional Directors, Country Directors and other department staff to pursue and win new business to achieve Pact’s long-term organizational, technical and country strategies. The Senior Director will oversee the proposal development process to ensure that Pact submits competitive, compliant proposals. They will maintain a robust network of relationships in the international development community to inform their nuanced understanding of international donor and industry trends and the competitive landscape. The Director/Senior Director will lead a team of 10 business development professionals and report to the Vice President of Public Sector Business Development.
· Lead the Opportunity Development Unit. This includes: managing a business development team and ensuring members’ ongoing professional development; stewarding the unit’s budget; conducting regular review of BD policies, procedures and templates; and keeping the unit’s intranet site current.
· Manage the proposal development process. This includes: resourcing individual bids, developing and monitoring schedules and progress; conducting gate reviews; and ensuring quality, compliant and on-time bid submission. If/when required, personally manage large, strategic new business opportunities.
· Lead pipeline development. This includes: working with team members and impact area leads to develop opportunities from forecasts and other market intelligence; supporting bid champions on pre-positioning and competitive analyses; and moving opportunities forward to go/no decision-making.
· Work with Country Directors, Regional Directors and Impact Area Leads to develop business pursuit strategies for individual countries and impact areas as requested.
· Engage collaboratively across departments to support on-going organizational improvement initiatives, organizing training and supporting the ethos that new business is everyone’s business.
· Lead on the collection and analysis of key business development metrics, updating senior leadership on a monthly and ad-hoc basis.
· Remain current on industry trends through independent research and meeting with donors, partners, small businesses and competitors.
· Represent Pact at external events and networking opportunities.
· Model of Pact’s values of Respect, Integrity and Inclusion.
· BA and thirteen (13) years of experience or MA and ten (10) years of experience
· Track record of winning new work from USAID and other public sector donors
· Experience bidding on USAID contracts and cooperative agreements
· Expertise in one or more of Pact’s impact areas (Capacity Development, Energy, Environment, Global Health, Governance, Livelihoods, Mining and Women’s Empowerment)
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, including an ability to effectively present complex ideas to diverse audiences
· Understanding of current donor and industry trends and the overall competitive landscape
· Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills
· Demonstrated ability to have influence without direct authority
· Ability to travel internationally, often on short notice
· Demonstrated ability to work cross-culturally with collegiality, humility and respect
· Fluency in English
· Graduate degree in a related field
· Experience winning new work from DFID/FCDO
· Established network of professional relationships in donor and peer organizations
· Experience living and working in countries and/or regions where Pact is present
· Proficiency in Spanish or French
This position may be filled at the Director or Senior Director level,
depending on the experience of the chosen candidate.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
How to apply
Please click here to apply for this position.