This position has been created as a temporary assignment to assist the program coordinator in the sustainable development program and specifically under the Economic Empowerment (EE) component. The main objective of this position is to undertake the daily supervision and follow up on the work of a team of project officers who implement EE activities.
The EE activities aim to enhance access to income-gaining opportunities for Syrian refugees and their host community members, particularly women and youth, and to promote self-reliance through improved access to skills and vocational training and employment, through support to small businesses and linkages to markets, and through expanded economic and legal space for Syrian refugees and vulnerable Jordanians via media campaigns and advocacy.
· RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Responsibility #1: Staff Management
· In collaboration with the program coordinator, manages and supervises her or his team including setting work schedules and organizing staff deployments, leave and so on
· Ensures (with input from the program coordinator) that work procedures and if relevant standard operating procedures (SOPs) are in place, understood and being carried out.
· Monitors the work on the team through regular reporting ensures the team produce reports, key project documentation (case notes and reports, meeting notes, project visit reports, activities’ reports, photos and so on).
· Ensures project components are recorded by the team e.g. beneficiaries recorded on database if required.
· Supports the project officers in their everyday work working though problems, advising, coaching. Supports team members resolve problems and advises on achieving effective project results.
· Ensures that the team receive the required technical and logistics support as required;
· Ensures team performs according to CARE standard practices and relevant codes of conduct.
· Assesses (with the program coordinator) skills gaps, information and training needs.
· Provide training, guidance, and support to the staff members to effectively perform their duties and promote a strong team spirit.
50% of Time
Job Responsibility #2: Project Implementation
- Develops with guidance from the program coordinator and participation of his or her team a costed work plan and timetable for the implementation of the project component.
- Provides regular reports in line with the project agreement and work plan to the program manager.
- Maintains contact with project implementation partners (referral partners; companies/ institutes implementing parts of the project; sub grantees; contractors, experts etc.) to ensure effective performance of project partners in project implementation;
- Monitors implementation of any contracts or agreements with these parties;
- Contributes to needs assessment and monitoring of the beneficiary groups and of partners. Analyzes and evaluates beneficiaries social, economic and psychological situation and approve recommendations on services to be provided by the program
25 % of Time
Responsibility #3 Emergency Response / Staff Security
• Take a lead role in facilitating timely, quality administrative support function delivery in the time of emergency response
• Guides and supports management on staff security concerns
• Promote a safe and secure work environment; foster a safety and security culture; and ensure consistent application of, and compliance with, CARE Jordan safety and security policies and procedures
5 % of Time
Job Responsibility #4: Liaison &Coordination
- Liaises with other stakeholders and partners to ensure coordination, presents CARE’s work and ensure coherence of the project with other similar activities;
- Ensures communication and joint working with other CARE projects and teams (e.g. to refer beneficiaries or to ensure other colleagues are informed about project progress);
- Analyze feedback from beneficiaries (questions and inquiries) and report back regularly.
15% of Time
Job Responsibility #5: Other duties as assigned by the Area Coordinator.
5% of Time
· QUALIFICATIONS – (*must be specific, realistic and related to job responsibilities)**
A- Specialized Know How
B- Education and training
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Community Development, Social Sciences, Business Administration or combination of relevant Education and Experience
Desired: Master’s degree in relevant fields.
C- Managerial Know How
Involves integrating and harmonizing requirements of diverse functions in operating, support, and administrative situations. It may be exercised through consultation as well as direct action; Management requires a combination of planning, organizing, controlling, and reviewing along with direct and indirect execution. Choose one of the following: Task; Minimal; Related; Diverse; Broad.
· This position requires (Related) managerial know-how.
· Minimum 2-3 years of experience in a management role
Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in Economic Empowerment programming for Syrian refugees and host community members
· Project Management, Effective follow up and planning skills.
· Good knowledge in administration, HR and procurement policies and procedures.
E- Technical skills
· Supervisory skill;
· Sound understanding of basic EE concepts
· Understanding of gender issues
· Project planning and budgeting and staff planning and supervision
· Good communication (with colleagues and external partners)
· Report writing skills in good English;
· Familiarity/training in participatory extension approach;
· Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, conceptual understanding of participatory approach and sustainable development.
· Computer proficiency
· Training & Facilitation skills.
F- Human relations skills
Consists of active practicing skills in the area of human relationships. In the work context Human Relations Skills include all capabilities that are needed to interact on a direct person-to-person basis, and through varied approaches build understanding of, acceptance of, or commitment to, courses of action that are important for the organization. These skills may be applied in relation to peers, subordinates or peers within the organization, or to people outside the organization. (See Guidelines for definitions).**
· The Human Relations Skills for this position are designated as Important
· Respect – Behaving in a manner that reflects a true belief in and appreciation for the dignity and potential of all human beings. Gaining other people’s confidence and setting an environment of trust and openness.
· Integrity – Maintaining social, ethical, and organizational norms; firmly adhering to codes of conduct and ethical principles inherent to CARE.
· Commitment to Service – this competency is woven throughout all aspects of the employee’s performance.
· Excellence – Setting high standards of performance for self and/or others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed; ensuring interactions and transactions are ethical and convey integrity.
· Diversity – Promoting, valuing, respecting and fully benefiting from each individual’s unique qualities, background, race, culture, age, gender, disability, values, lifestyle, perspectives or interests; creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes diversity.
· Building partnerships.
· Stress tolerance,
· Building commitment
· Interpersonal skills
· Operational decision-making
· Planning and organizing
· Information monitoring
4- PROBLEM SOLVING
Is comprised of the Thinking Challenge and Thinking Environment
Thinking Environment considers the rules, instructions, practices, precedents, standards, principles, policies, goals, and objectives that create the context in which a job is authorized to deal with unusual situations. It describes the degree of freedom permitted to the job to initiate the thinking process as a result of external conditions, as well as internal conditions of the organization. Choose one of the following: Strict Routine; Routine; Semi-Routine; Standardized; Clearly Defined; Broadly Defined; Generally Defined; Abstractly Defined. (See Guidelines for definitions).
· This position is defined as Standardized
Thinking Challenge describes the situational and nature and degree of difficulty of mental effort required to come to conclusions, make decisions, provide answers, or discover new things. Choose one of the following: Repetitive; Patterned; Interpolative; Adaptive; or Uncharted. (See Guidelines for definitions)
· This position is defined as Patterned
Is the answerability for actions and for their consequences. It is the measured effect of the job or position on end results. It has three dimensions in the following order of importance: Freedom to Act; Impact on End Results; and Magnitude.
A) Freedom to Act is the degree to which personal or procedural control and guidance for work (or lack thereof) exists. This is a function of the organizational framework, the personnel and policy direction, and the flows, processes, and systems that are established in the organization. Choose one of the following: Limited; Prescribed; Controlled; Standardized; Regulated; Clearly Directed; Generally Directed; Guided; or Strategically Guided. (See Guidelines for definitions).
· This position would be designated as Clearly Directed
B) Impact on End Results considers the principal nature of the job’s influence on end results, which ranges from very direct control to very indirect support. Choose the Impact category that reflects the basic purpose of the job most clearly. Ancillary; Contributory; Shared; Primary (See Guidelines for definitions).
· This position would be Contributory
C) Magnitude: Financial: What parts of CARE’s revenue and/or expenses are impacted by the job’s primary goals? Use current fiscal year amounts. e.g. project budget, fundraising or contract goal, budget managed or monitored, donations processed, purchases made, contracts negotiated/signed, benefits costs.
· What is the $/EUR amount related to job’s primary goals? $ **
· What is the $/EUR amount of signing authority for this position? $
5- CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS:
Key Internal Contacts
Center managers , Field Staff, Support team.
Key External Contacts
Local Partner focal points/managers
6- WORKING CONDITIONS: **
Describe the location of work, expected percentage of travel, special conditions (e.g. security situation, availability of medical facilities, basic education, etc.).
- Travel: The position will be based in the field office with frequent travel to Main office.
- Safety and Security
How to apply
Please note that it is a temporary assignment until end of September 2021.
CARE International in Jordan places human dignity at the center of its relief and development work. At the heart of CARE’s efforts to impact poverty and social justice is its engagement with marginalized communities, and vulnerable adults and children.
CARE International in Jordan is an Equal Opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or disability.
CARE is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those that are suitable to work within our values are recruited to work for us.