Chemonics is seeks an environmental governance lead for the USAID Indonesia Sustainable Environmental Governance Across Regions (SEGAR) Activity. The SEGAR Activity seeks to advance Indonesia’s own development goals of balancing biodiversity conservation and sustainable land use with inclusive economic and livelihoods development. To achieve the overall goal, this Activity will achieve the following two objectives: 1) Strengthened inclusive environmental governance in targeted subnational jurisdictions that advances biodiversity conservation, sustainable forest management, and sustainable land use and 2) Increased implementation of environmental and social sustainability goals within private sector natural resource commodity production supply chains that reduces threats to biodiversity and greenhouse gas emissions from land use.
The Activity’s base period is from February 26, 2021 through February 25, 2024 (Year 1-3), with two option periods (Year 4 and 5).
This position is only open to local nationals and will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Directs the environmental governance technical area, recognizing the role of subnational jurisdictions for improved environmental governance
- Provides technical advice on environmental governance to chief of party, deputy chief of party, other component leads, and staff
- Advises and supports the chief of party in developing and implementing a comprehensive environmental governance strategy for improving land use decision-making in subnational jurisdictions
- Analyses and advises on existing environmental policy frameworks that govern subnational jurisdictions
- Advises on policy development, such as the essential ecosystem area (KEE) incentive policy
- Facilitates political economy analysis at national and site levels to inform pause and reflect workshops throughout the program
- Serves as focal point to develop data-driven improved law enforcement approaches for environmental governance bodies and natural resources managers, including response protocols and improved coordination of governance bodies for addressing threats
- Works closely with project partners to foster a community of practice of good environmental governance, and to strengthen subnational governance frameworks and multi-stakeholder entities
- Provides technical expertise to staff while ensuring coordination of technical efforts across the sites and knowledge sharing
- Supervises the local governance specialist, the law enforcement specialist, and as needed, short-term technical experts
- Reports to the chief of party
- Minimum of five years of experience in public administration, development policy, NRM, or another environmental governance-related field
- Advanced degree in public administration, development policy, NRM, or another environmental governance-related field
- Extensive experience working throughout Indonesia with forestry and natural resources governance and its crosscutting issues, including environmental policy development, improved land use governance approaches, institutional strengthening, engagement of civil society, and improving transparency and accountability
- Proven expertise in project leadership, technical assistance, and oversight with a demonstrated knowledge of environment and biodiversity sector regulations, policies, and procedures for implementing development projects
- Record of establishing strategic partnerships with government and non-government actors and networking to ensure high-quality implementation and result achievement
- Proven ability to work effectively in cross-cultural environments in diverse provinces and districts of Indonesia
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English, orally and in writing
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia
How to apply
Please send an email with your CV attached and “SEGAR – environmental governance lead ” in the subject line to [email protected] by March 29, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.