II. Organizational Context and Scope:
The Humanitarian Assistance Programme is a programme to assist victims of natural disasters, within the context of IOM’s role as co-lead in Afghanistan of the Emergency Shelter/Non-Food Item Cluster.
The main objective of the DRR project is to build flood protection systems in 10 flash flood prone communities identified through our database. The structures will be assembled in the lower parts of watersheds, insuring the protection of human lives, fertile land, houses, and livestock.
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager and the direct supervision of the Supervisor (Project Engineer)/the DRR Field Engineer will support the daily management and implementation of the HAP activities in 10 different target areas of the following regions: North, North East, West, South, South East, East, Central and Central Highland.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Responsible for a wide range and variety of engineering activities including feasibility studies and construction works of sub-projects at site within established scope:
· Regular Site inspection and supervision of DRR construction sub-projects at the targeted provinces under the project.
· Perform a survey from around rivers/selected locations and specify the locations where the protection walls are to be constructed based on required criteria.
· Prepare sketch through the sites survey, photo reporting.
· Collect the geotechnical data and do assessment of the project prior its design.
· Collect hydrological data (water discharge, underground water, annual engineer for designing the required structure.
· Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine sub-project construction feasibility.
· Carry out site assessment of the area prior to commencement of construction works ensure availability of construction materials.
· Prepare plans and schedules for sub-projects’ implementation and regularly analyze all schedules.
· Estimation of day-to-day required materials and equipment at site and issue requests to concerned personnel to deliver material to site on time.
· Record keeping of labors (skilled and unskilled) and all material delivered/ used at site daily.
· flood reports of river) and other required data as directed by design
· Quality control of material and workmanship to ensure the work is according to design, specifications and within the contracted timeline.
· Layout and survey the installations, establish reference points, grades, and elevations to guide the constructions.
· Liaise with government authorities, line departments, CDCs and community elders at provincial level, propose alternative solutions for the problems that may arise during all the stages of the sub-project.
· In close coordination with the sub-office and Supervisor (Project Engineer), hire and supervise skilled and unskilled labors; administer and manage financial aspects of the project in the field.
· Submit various reports, including daily reports with pictures when needed and mandatory weekly progress reports from the field.
· Inform the Program Manager and supervisor on major issues affecting the project activities and provide recommendations in order to ensure optimal quality of all the project schedules.
· Apply health and safety rules to prevent safety incidents at site and make sure the project is executed in environmental rules and regulations.
· Support mechanisms to increase the community participation in a potential decision-making process regarding the project identification and planning in the target villages.
· In collaboration with engineering and project team provide awareness and technical information regarding the potential project in the targeted areas.
· Provide basic training to skilled and unskilled labors in the project site.
· Mobilize, Facilitate, and encourage participation of all community members during all the stages of the project.
· Provide any other required technical assistance to the project as requested,
· Flexibility to move from one location to another as requested by the Programme Manager.
· Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
· Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:**
· Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3**
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
· Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations.
· Able to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
· Works effectively with staff members and project team, provides timely responses technical engineering team’s concerns, liaise with relevant IOM departments and contractors
Position specific skills:
· Having knowledge of Engineering codes such as IBC, ASCE, ASTM\
· Having Knowledge of using Survey Engineering tools such as Total station, level…
· Having Knowledge of Planning and scheduling software’s such as MS project
· Knowledge in MS Office, AutoCAD, and other civil engineering related software programs
· Must be willing to live and work in assigned areas
· Must be willing to work overtime if needed
V. Education and Experience:
· University degree civil engineering, water (resource) management at a recognized University with B.Sc. degree or higher
· At least 3 years of experience in the construction engineering (DRR Projects), including:
· Experience in construction and monitoring of stone masonry wall, protection walls, retaining walls gabion walls, check dams, water intakes, culverts, floodway.
· Having experience in design and construction of Hydraulics (Civil) Structures is preferable.
· Having experience in organizing and overseeing on site activities.
· English – Fluent
· Pashto – Fluent
· Dari – Fluent
How to apply
VII. METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Interested applicants are invited to send curriculum vitae through ACBAR website by Close of Business (CoB) 23 March 2021 latest, we do not accept hard copies.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your application is accurate.
Campaigning for a candidate can be grounds for disqualification.
Click on the below link for apply: