Job Title: Finance and Administrative Assistant
Grade: 4 (N)
Level: Associate Specialist Department: Administration
The Finance and Administrative Assistant will have primary responsibility for providing administrative support to Church World Service Africa programs in South Africa, including assisting with reception, record keeping, and asset management. This position assists with employee relations. This position assists the Project Manager, Logistics and General Service staff. This position works closely with Finance and Human Resources in Nairobi, Kenya.
This position reports directly to the Logistics Officer with a dotted line to RSC Finance Manager Essential Duties
- Maintains a filing system for the administrative( Finance, HR & Logistics) documents of the RSC Africa Sub Office that facilitates easy retrieval of documents
- Receives invoices and attaches them to payment vouchers (PVs). Also attaches copies of contracts to PVs
- Assists in labeling all fixed assets and updates the fixed assets registers with any new assets and asset movements in a timely manner
- Manages petty cash under the supervision of the Project Manager
- Manages a flow of documents between other departments and the Project Manager’s office;
- Operates the reception duties as determined by the Project Manager
- Assists in the preparation and implementation of SOPs for the Sub Office;
- Assist with some areas of recruitment such as administering skills assessment tests as requested
- Create, organize and maintain recruitment records as per CWS RSC Africa policy.
- Assist with the conducting of background checks by notifying the identified candidates of the requirement to do the background check and who to send results to
- Ensure all policies have been signed by staff as required, and scan and send copies to HR Nairobi
- Maintain a copy of each staff file and file relevant documentation
- Ensure all relevant benefits for new staff are obtained by assisting with the form filling and filing, follow up with and/or HR Nairobi
- Assist with benefits administration such as reconciliation, terminations, etc.
- Assist in preparation for new staff orientation and staff exit procedures in liaison with Site Coordinator and HR Kenya office:
• Preparation of orientation documents
• Preparation of all necessary exit forms
• Preparation of withdrawal of staff from the medical and pension scheme
- Perform other duties that maybe assigned
- Under the supervision of the Project Manager and oversight of the Nairobi based Finance Manager, responsible for the bookkeeping of transactions occurring from the sub-office, including but is not limited to; excel and accounting system recording of cash issued and received, conducting weekly petty cash counts and reconciling same to the respective cash certificate.
- After final review of Travel Authorization’s and card loading, assists the Logistics officer by issuing travel cards/cash and confirming with travelling staff that cards have been duly loaded according to the respective TA
- Responsible for the reviewing and reconciling of travel expense reports as well as accepting and issuing of reimbursements due thereof
- Reviews card balances and facilitates card clearing with the Accounts department in Nairobi after circuit rides.
- Scans and sends monthly timesheets and medical certificates to HR department in Nairobi 22. Assists in the external audit process by retrieving and reviewing records and source documents.
- Processes online payments as determined by the Project Manager and records such accordingly
- Involved in collating information for monthly cash projection for the sub-office
- Performs other duties that may be assigned. Qualifications Education:
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related work experience in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree is required.
• One year directly related specialized experience performing the essential duties is required. • Previous experience working with an International NGO strongly desired
• Knowledge and experience in using Excel spreadsheets required. Knowledge:
• Strong computer skills, in particular Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Access
• Excellent English communication skills, both oral and written
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand, process, and document information
The Administrative Assistant must have the ability to:
• communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
• maintain high level of confidentiality and integrity of personnel records and information;
• work as a member of a team in a multi-cultural environment;
• manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities;
• maintain high performance standard with attention to detail;
• follow instructions from supervisor with a positive and receptive attitude;
• conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of CWS Africa.
Physical: This position requires sitting, standing, walking, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying light loads.
Environmental: Normal office working conditions.
• A clear background check is required before the start of employment.
• Must be legally eligible to work in South Africa.
Ensure effective exchanges of information with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include speaking to others respectfully; expressing ideas in a logical, organized way; sharing information appropriately; and clarity and conciseness in written communication.
Ensure constructive and supportive interactions with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include being positive and supportive when working with others; sharing information and resources freely; resolving conflict constructively; and proactively working to remove obstacles to success for others.
Utilize and apply job related knowledge to complete job tasks at a level that meets or exceeds expectations. Examples of skills and behaviors include utilizing job knowledge to solve problems or develop new approaches; maintaining or enhancing skills through continuing education; and taking on projects that will develop or enhance skills.
Work effectively and contribute as a member of a team. Examples of skills and behaviors include supporting other team members by sharing information; covering the work of others during absences, vacations etc.; and actively participating in developing ideas for ways to increase team effectiveness.
Analyze information and develop solutions to challenges that arise during the course of performing a job. Examples of skills and behaviors include researching and collecting facts; defining the issues and the parties affected; formulating options/solutions for addressing the problem; and engendering support for and implementing the solution.
Program Planning and Management
Organize work and/or plan projects and ensure timely completion and/or successful implementation. Examples of skills and behaviors include identifying and analyzing program options; identifying the tasks and deliverables required for successful completion; managing one’s time; monitoring the resources involved and ensuring that they are directed most effectively; and working with all involved to ensure successful completion.
Guide and direct oneself or other individuals and groups toward a desired outcome. Examples of skills and behaviors include taking the appropriate level of initiative to resolve problems or remove obstacles, bringing individuals together around a common goal; evaluating information and making decisions; navigating conflict and obstacles; and ensuring that communication takes place between all parties involved.
Resource Building and Stewardship
Balance the acquisition or investment of organization resources with responsible use of those resources in line with the organization’s mission. Examples of skills and behaviors include taking advantage of all opportunities to cultivate potential donors; evaluating situations to identify the best use of resources; and making responsible investments of resources that increase organization effectiveness.
How to apply
Click on CWS careers site – https://cws-careers.vibehcm.com