Background Information – IPAS
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
Sneak peak of our working environment:
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the IPAS Finance Specialist, the Finance Associate will work in close collaboration with the UNOPS operations, program and project staff.
The incumbent will keep a balance between operational implementation efficiencies and policy/rules requirements. He/she will also contribute towards innovative solutions by channeling practical recommendations for improvements in policies and processes.
Summary of functions:
The incumbent will be responsible for providing transactional support and services while performing duties and responsibilities in the following areas:
- Project Accounting
- Financial Accounting
- Financial Reporting
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Project Accounting
- Monitor recorded expenditures and related contributions to ensure timely and accurate accounting information;
- Review and confirm adjustments to the project expenditures as may be required;
- Review and confirm appropriateness of operational transactions processed as per applicable policies, regulations, rules and interpretive guidelines;
- Assist in proper closure of projects and refund of unspent balances to donors from the financial accounting side.
2. Financial Accounting
- Assist in the monthly, quarterly and year-end books closure with validation of the required submissions and field office confirmation;
- Perform the financial control of the staff member separation process and validate the related posting process;
- Prepare and review General Ledger account reconciliation;
- Analyze General Ledger accounts and prepare adjusting entries regularly;
- Monitor the key risk areas to reduce the financial loss of the organization.
- Assist with audits and self-audits and quality assurance activities as required;
- Assist in the preparation of ad-hoc reports as requested by internal/external auditors;
- Support the implementation of audit recommendations as may be required.
4. Financial Reporting
- Assist in the implementation of the reporting systems and reports to improve the monitoring process;
- Prepare periodic reports for the key risk areas;
- Assist Field Offices with Financial reporting and analysis;
- Provide inputs to resolve Financial Reporting system issues with Finance Practice Group.
5. Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Assist in preparation of notes, guidelines related to implementation of Accounting standards and procedures;
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel on finance-related topics;
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in the finance area;
- Other ad hoc tasks related to Finance.
- Completion of secondary / high school is required;
- Higher degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s), preferably in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, International Business, Management or other finance-related field is considered an asset and can be a substitute for some years of relevant working experience;
- Relevant certification in financial management or accounting is an added advantage.
- Minimum 6 years of experience (or less depending on academic credentials) in Finance/Accounting or a relevant field is required;
- Experience in use of Google Suite/Workspace (in particular Sheets, Docs) or MS Office (Excel / Word) is required;
- Experience in project accounting or management accounting is desired;
- Knowledge of international accounting standards, especially IPSAS is an asset;
- Experience in dealing with UN organizations is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English;
- Knowledge of French and/or Spanish would be an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: Local ICA Support 6 / LICA-6
- Contract duration: open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
UN City in Copenhagen – short presentation:
How to apply
Please apply here: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=21545