BACKGROUND INFORMATION – IPAS
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
IPAS Finance supports UNOPS Country Offices in all aspects of UNOPS finances. Our four major areas of support are:
- Engagement & budgeting advisory support
- Project reporting & closure advisory support
- Corporate Financial reporting support
- Banking & treasury support
Under the supervision of the Finance Officer, the incumbent will work closely with Country Offices based in Latin America and the Caribbean (LCR), primarily providing daily operational support and solutions for the delivery of the PharmaMX project. The incumbent will keep a balance between operational implementation efficiencies and policy/rules requirements, and also contribute towards long-term solutions by channeling practical recommendations through the Finance Senior Manager for improvements in policies and processes for efficient project implementation.
In line with the framework agreement signed with the Government of Mexico, UNOPS supports the different collaboration initiatives by the government that are aimed at the fight against corruption and transparency in the public management; as well as in the exercises aimed at the strengthening government actions in the areas of acquisitions, infrastructure and management of high impact projects in Mexico. This position will support those efforts with specific focus on the PharmaMX project.
The objective of the PharmaMX project is to support the Government of Mexico in its effort to guarantee the right to health to the largest number of inhabitants through the planning and management of the consolidated purchase of medicines from 2021 to 2024. (period 2021-2024), as well as assistance in the profiling of the system and model of consolidated purchase of medicines for the health sector of the Government of Mexico.
This position will be for the duration of the PharmaMX project.
Please note that only Panamanians or applicants with a valid residence / work permit (obtained independently and not linked to any employer) in Panama are eligible to apply.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION – JOB-SPECIFIC
Summary of Key Functions:
- Operational Support to project/programmes implementation
- Project Finance support
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1.Ensures implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Work closely with Mexico Office to assist finding solutions on operational, financial matters;
- Support Mexico Office to ensure full compliance of financial activities, financial recording and reporting with UNOPS rules, regulations, and policies;
- Assist in providing quality control of Field Offices submissions by performing the review and analysis of financial data and processes;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Financial Standard Operating Procedures, guidelines, and control mechanisms, in conformity with UNOPS rules and regulations;
- Act as a back-up for the other Finance Associate at the same position level from the finance team in Mexico.
2.Provides project finance support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review the appropriateness of project financial transactions as per applicable UNOPS policies, regulations, and rules;
- Review and prepare GLJEs, OA request, prepaid cards.
- Review of payments request ensuring that documentation needed is completed and that all the required procedures are fulfilled to enable processing them in the system.
- Assist the preparation of periodic financial statements to the funding source.
- Review and approve adjustments to project expenditures as required (e.g. GLJEs).
- Assist in the preparation of project audits and self-audits and quality assurance activities as required.
- Support projects in the preparation of ad-hoc reports as requested by internal/external auditors;
- Support the implementation of audit recommendations as required;
- Support the preparation of new projects and programmes and review and recommend new engagements and amendments from a finance perspective.
3.Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist in the preparation of training to personnel on processes, rules/policies, and systems;
- Contribute to product designs and implementation;
- Recommend solutions and process efficiency initiatives;
- Completion of secondary / high school is required;
- CPA, first University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Accounting, Management or equivalent disciplines is desirable but not required;.
- Relevant certification in financial management or accounting is a distinct advantage;
- A Bachelor or Masters would be an asset and may substitute for some of the required years of experience.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant working experience within the areas of finance, accounting, business administration or related field is required (with a secondary / high school diploma); less experience required depending on academic credentials;
- Fully proficient computer skills in either Microsoft (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) or Google Workspace (Docs, Sheets, Slides) are required;
- Knowledge of UNOPS financial rules and regulations is an asset;
- Working knowledge of ERP is desired;
- Banking or project cash management experience is desirable;
- Experience using single and multi bank platforms is a benefit;
- Some experience in dealing with UN organizations is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English and Spanish is required
- Knowledge of another official UN language (e.g., French) is an asset.
CONTRACT TYPE, LEVEL, AND DURATION
Contract type: L-ICA
Contract level: LICA 6
Contract duration: open-ended, subject to satisfactory performance and the duration of the PharmaMX project.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
How to apply
Please apply here: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=21550