ACAPS, a project hosted by the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is looking for an engaged and skilled GIS Expert! We are looking primarily for someone based in Senegal, but we are open to candidates applying from a country with an NRC Office.
ACAPS is dedicated to helping humanitarians make better decisions. We want to put evidence at the heart of decision-making. To achieve this, we collaborate with a variety of partners across the humanitarian sector and beyond. We strive to be an evolving platform providing:
- Independent analysis to support evidence-based decision making for humanitarian operations.
- Innovative approaches to collect more reliable and timely data and conduct rigorous analysis.
- Capacity development of humanitarian actors to carry out better needs assessments and analysis.
Purpose of the position
The post holder will contribute to enhance ACAPS work by developing a geospatial analysis workflow, designing fit-for-purpose maps that will help understand and better communicate our analysis, and by developing the organisations capacity on map production. This will ultimately contribute to that ACAPS is perceived as a leading voice on humanitarian needs analysis.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Standardise the in-house workflow on production of maps
- Develop maps on request from different teams
- Ensure that ACAPS maps convey the message in the most appropriate way and in line with the analysis produced
- Build internal mapping capacity
- Strengthen relationship with key partners
Lead on in-house map production
- Build and maintain a GIS resource library, as well as up-to-date documentation for reference purposes
- Be responsible for the harmonisation of templates, data sources, colour schemes, and all the necessary tools to produce on-brand maps
Ensure effective map production
- Design a new standardised process for GIS data management and mapping
- Engage with ACAPS analysts and ensure existing workflows are understood and taken into account when designing new processes.
- Provide internal mapping and information visualisation training
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Relevant university degree or higher education, preferably in GIS, cartography, Computer science, Geography, Engineering, or any other related field.
- 2-3 years’ experience of using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), proprietary and open source (such as ArcGIS, QGIS etc.)
- Proficiency in English, both verbal and written
- Knowledge of programming languages, such as Python or R is desirable
- Experience from the humanitarian sector desirable
- Good understanding of GIS processes and workflows with experience in designing and implementing new processes
- Strong internal and external stakeholder engagement skills
- Proven high level of expertise in cartography, data visualisation and infographics and related tools
- Proficient in developing designs, visualisations, and presentations from different type of data and a variety of sources
- Strong familiarity with Excel, and with Adobe Suite or other graphics editing tools
- Knowledge of remote sensing techniques, applications and software
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Deciding and Initiating Action
- Planning and delivering results
- Adapting and Responding to Change
- Adhering to Principles and Values
What do we Offer
Duty Station: Dakar, Senegal
Contract Length: 12 months
Salary: According to NRC Senegalese National grade 7 Salary scale
Start date: As soon as Possible
How to apply
To learn more regarding this role and to apply , please click on the link below