Develop the strategy for emergency management in consultation with AKAH Head of Emergency Management at global level.
· Provide leadership and motivation to a team of people including volunteers.
· Plan and direct disaster response or crisis management activities, provide disaster preparedness training and prepare emergency plans and procedures for natural and urban accidental disasters at the national level. Oversee the implementation of emergency management activities and communicate progress at regular intervals to the CEO and Head Office.
· Prepare plans that outline operating procedures to be used in response to disasters or emergencies, such as floods, snow avalanches, earthquakes, building collapse in urban areas, and recovery from these events.
· Identify tasks (including assigning project activities), organization of work plans and resources required.
· Manage and prepare the budget to ensure that, annual projected plans are delivered within the budget and on time. This includes providing feedback and detailed analysis of budget variances and making recommendations for corrective actions.
· Design and administer training programmes to emergency management teams in regions, that would refresh their learning and inform them about new approaches in disaster risk management.
· Provide leadership and consult with national institutions, including hospitals, schools, and local governments, to determine their needs and to ensure facilitation of programs, in the event of natural or manmade disasters.
· Lead strategic conversations to build partnerships and linkages with agencies across AKDN, relevant NGOs/ INGOs, Community Institutions and Government Departments.
· Lead development of partnerships with organizations or institutions relevant to Emergency Management strategy in Pakistan. Ensure that needs of stakeholders internally and with communities are met efficiently and effectively while maintaining the mission, vision and values of AKAH.
· Participate, lead and/or manage various task forces as required and appropriate.
· Lead as a focal person for handling / managing all types of crises situations and coordination with governmental agencies and other stakeholders in the field of crisis management.
· Lead on the preparation of quality concept notes, reports and proposals that may be submitted internally or to the donors as required.
· Oversee compliance of AKDN Safety Guidelines and managing the AKDN Safety Officer programme in coordination with the AKAH Head Office.
· Coordinate for preparedness programmes, which includes establishment of Community Emergency Response Teams, prepositioning and replenishment of non-food item stockpiles, preparation of designated emergency shelters and updating Village Disaster Management Plans.
· Coordinate an internal educational programme composed of standardized courses in Incident Command System, Workplace Safety, Medical First Response, Emergency Response Planning Community Emergency Response and Search & Rescue Team training.
· Take charge as Director Emergency Operation Centre (EOC) or Deputy Director EOC/ Section Chief, during an emergency.
· Ensure preparation of timely situational reports in emergencies, sharing them with the CEO and other lead response agencies, within the specified timeframe.
· Propose alteration of emergency response procedures based on regulatory changes, technological changes, or knowledge gained from outcomes of previous emergencies.
· Work to develop guidelines, protocols/evacuation plans, that employees or community will follow in the event of a disaster. Set these guidelines in place and educate those involved in them.
· Prepare disaster preparedness status reports that update about the preparedness / readiness levels of the head office and regional offices, to deal with a sudden disaster.
· Inspect facilities and equipment, such as emergency management centers and communications equipment, to determine their operational and functional capabilities in emergencies.
· Ensure that the disaster risk management programme reaches the highest standards of quality, by leveraging the experience and expertise of professionals from other agencies and/or other AKAH, P departments.
The candidate must have a master’s degree from an accredited institution in emergency management, disaster risk management, natural hazards management, public health, social or environmental sciences, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or related field.
Candidate having attained certifications in ICS (Incident Command System) at least up to level 200, or EOCM (Emergency Operation Center Management within the last 2 years, will be given preference.
At least fifteen years of full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire or police services/ army, public safety, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or other specialized areas. Additionally, the candidate must have the following competencies:
· Excellent communication skills, both spoken and written along with an ability to work in a diversified/ multicultural environment.
· Commitment to helping people in the most difficult circumstances.
· Management and leadership skills as well as being able to work collaboratively.
· Multitasker, while working under pressure to meet project/proposal deadlines.
· Willingness and ability to travel to disaster struck areas at a short notice.
· Technical knowledge in the relevant humanitarian sectors: shelter, urban and rural disaster risk reduction or management, community protection, water, sanitation, and hygiene, etc.
· Must be proficient in Sphere Standards and other international humanitarian standards and guidelines.
· Excellent understanding of donor-driven institutions.
· Capacity to lead programmes through effective project management skills.
· Knowledge of the functioning of key national/ international donors, institutions in the relevant sector.
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply on the following weblink: www.akdn.org/careers, latest by April 18, 2021.