Career with BRAC International
BRAC is a development success story, born in Bangladesh and expanding into 10 other developing countries in Asia and Africa. It spreads anti-poverty solutions making it a global leader in providing opportunities for the world’s poor.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed, and is today one of the top leaders in developing cost-effective, evidence-based poverty innovations in extremely poor, fragile and post-disaster settings. BRAC started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002 through its Dutch registered Stichting BRAC International. BRAC International is currently reaching over 19 million people beyond Bangladesh and creating opportunities to break the cycle of poverty.
With a holistic approach that uses a wide array of interventions including microfinance, education, healthcare, legal services and more, BRAC invests in communities’ own human and material resources, catalyzing lasting change and creating an ecosystem in which the poor have the chance to seize control of their own lives. Of the world’s top development and humanitarian relief organisations, BRAC is one of the few based in the global south. In February 2020, BRAC was ranked as the number one NGO in the world for the fifth consecutive year by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent media organisation committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector.
BRAC International is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position:
Head of Gender and Safeguarding- BRAC International
The position holder is the Gender and Safeguarding Head in BI Dhaka Office to lead and support implementation of BI’s Gender & Safeguarding related activities that include, strengthening the organisation’s capacity to develop, review and implement gender and safeguarding policies, procedures and measures which meet international standards and are locally relevant. The incumbent has to review and ensure the gender and safeguarding elements are properly included and reflected in the programme design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and partnerships of BI countries. The position holder will provide coordination and leadership on gender mainstreaming and gender transformation, taking the lead in managing, setting and communicating overall direction and innovation for gender integration in programme/project design. S/he will work in collaboration with the programme heads and relevant Country Focal persons to ensure compliance in relation to gender and safeguarding policies and procedures and provide support in case management of any breach of the policies.
The Individual will maintain close contact with BRAC’s Gender, Justice and Diversity Team and Safeguarding unit to have proper alignment of the two entities. Specific job responsibilities include but not limited to the following –
A. Gender related activities:
- The Individual will be a member of gender working group (GWG) and work closely with BI Countries to accomplish the key deliverables of the GWG. Some of the key responsibilities will be:
- Assist BI Countries in the Adoption of Gender policy
- Assist BI Countries to development of Gender Capacity Strengthening Plan
- Follow-up on roll out on gender capacity strengthening activities
- Provide guidance and build capacity of Gender Champions in the countries
- Lead on developing a gender transformation strategy/guidelines for BI programmes
- Ensure support for gender analysis and gender transformation strategy/ guidelines for new programme/project development based on BI’s gender policy/ mandate
- Work closely with M&E team to capture gender related outcomes through impact assessments
- Assist in women leadership strengthening programme
- Contribute to organizational gender equality culture building and change management.
B. Safeguarding related activities:
- Support and monitor Safeguarding policy implementation and practices in the countries
- Exchange of information to and from countries on safeguarding related matters, for example, monthly reports, support needed, new initiatives, etc.
- Strengthen capacity of Country Safeguarding Focal points and maintain close relationship through monthly meetings and new initiatives.
- Maintain safeguarding case register of all countries.
- Coordinate and contribute in the implementation of safeguarding related action plan.
- Provide guidance on safeguarding monitoring, risk reduction and audit.
- Provide guidance to countries in case management related to safeguarding breaches.
- Provide support/advise to the safety of staff members from any harm and act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise for establishing a safe working environment in accordance to organizational reporting and response procedures.
- Practice, promote, encourage and endorse the safeguarding policy and implementation standards within the organization to promote a culture of safeguarding.
Master’s degree in social sciences; preferably Sociology/ Gender and women studies/ Development studies, International development or any relevant from an accredited university.
- Sound knowledge and understanding on gender and women development, gender mainstreaming and capacity to link with other development agenda
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills with regard to gender and safeguarding issues
- Skilled in computer operations of various programmes
- Ability in influencing others and build good working relationship
- Good interpersonal skills and take feedback positively
- Excellent communication skills in both writing and speaking in English.
- At least 10 years’ experience of work in development sector preferably in NGOs, INGOs/GOB.
- At least 5 years of working experience in the field of gender mainstreaming and safeguarding.
Employment type: Contractual
Job Location: BRAC International Dhaka Office, Bangladesh.
How to apply
If you feel you are the right match for the above mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
External candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, current and expected salary at email@example.com
Internal candidates need to apply with their latest CV including all job assignments in detail with BRAC PIN and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 04/21 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and short listed candidates will be contacted. Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply
Application deadline: 31 March 2021
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment policy and procedure include extensive background checks and disclosure of criminal records in order to ensure safeguarding to the fullest extent.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer