INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Mission
Duty station: Kabul – with travel to other provinces
Starting date: 26/03/2021
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Regional Director
Supervision of: Senior Management Team
Dependents: Non-family Duty Station /non-accompanied
General context of the project
INTERSOS has been present in Afghanistan since October 2001, with its main office in Kabul and sub-offices in Jalalabad, Maimana, Kandahar and Lashkar Gah.
Currently, INTERSOS is present with operation capacity in Kandahar and maintains its office in the capital city (Kabul) for representative purposes, supervising also some operational activities.
Currently, INTERSOS’ humanitarian response strategy for Afghanistan is paying attention to emergency needs of the conflict-affected population, in particular IDPs, documented and undocumented returnees (from Pakistan and Iran) and vulnerable/isolated host communities. INTERSOS’ strategy is to provide for emergency response capacity in 4 main sectors: protection (including Education in Emergency), health-nutrition, livelihoods and WASH.
As such INTERSOS has also ongoing multi-sector humanitarian programs (with its 4 priority sectors integrated), opting for an area- and community based approach in Southern Region and targeting both returnees coming from Pakistan and conflict affected IDPs.
In the last 15 years, INTERSOS has been working on various aspects of the Afghan emergency, mainly focusing on repatriation and returns, protection, water and sanitation, reconstruction, humanitarian demining, mine risk education, and institutional building.
For INTERSOS Afghanistan remains a key humanitarian emergency for its geopolitical importance and because of the internal dynamics related to man-made and natural disasters. Humanitarian gaps and needs are high in the provinces where we are currently operating and even more in others. In order to respond to the ongoing emergency in the country and given the shortage of players currently engaged.
INTERSOS considers really important its contribution to bring aid and assistance to those affected by the crisis.
The main strategic objective that the Head of Mission should pursue is to boost INTERSOS presence in the capital city while consolidating and expanding operations in the southern provinces.
General purpose of the position
Be INTERSOS referent in Afghanistan vis a’ vis international donors, main stakeholders and national team in Kabul and Kandahar;
Define country priorities and strategy based on a needs assessment and the analysis of the context of the country
Main responsibilities and tasks
The Head of Mission represents the organization and is responsible for the planning, management and implementation of the country program on the basis of defined strategies and indications.
The HoM manages and coordinates the operations and human resources in the country and is responsible to:
Communication and representation
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs and other stakeholders
- Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities
- Monitor donor’s priorities and intervention strategies in the country as well as to map and approach new donors
Planning and implementation
- Define country priorities based on context and needs analyses; monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new interventions
- Assess, promote and submit new projects, following the procedures defined and promoting a spirit of participation among beneficiaries at all management stages, ensuring the transparency of the intervention
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the country operations and all related administrative, financial, human resources, logistics and security aspects – ensuring timely and quality assistance delivery, as well as cost efficiency and accountability, in compliance with INTERSOS and donors guidelines, regulations and procedures
Information and Reporting
- Continuously assess, analyze and evaluate the impact of the country operations, also through periodic visits to the areas of intervention
- Define the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank accounts
- Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance
- Ensure the respect for the values, Code of Ethics and Organization Management and Control Model of INTERSOS within the mission
- Ensure personnel compliance with procedures foreseen by INTERSOS’ Organization Management and Control Model
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings
- Validation of all the mission security plans (Capital and projects)
- Interaction on the Country security issues with HQ (Security Referent) and relevant actors
- To hold final responsibility for any decision concerning security
Required profile and experience
- University Degree in Social Sciences, Political Sciences, International Relations, Humanitarian and International Cooperation or significant experience in humanitarian sector
- At least 3 years of professional work experience as Head of Mission or 5 years in other management/ coordination positions in humanitarian/development contexts with a similar portfolio in terms of activities and volume
- Proven experience in management of UN, OFDA and ECHO funds.
- Proven experience in management of large staff teams and good leadership
- Knowledge of Protection and Health sector is an asset
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and in writing)
- High structuring and organizational capacity
- Spirit of synthesis and capacity for problematization
- Demonstrated capacities to work in volatile contexts and team management remotely efficiently
- Leadership and people management ability
- Proficient knowledge of English is required
- Proactive attitude
- Ability to adapt to basic living conditions in remote/isolated areas
- Flexible and open-minded
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-28-1708 – Head of Mission-Afghanistan”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview