The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 190 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality. **
In Afghanistan we support Afghan Red Crescent Society (ARCS) to respond to the humanitarian needs. The main priority for Norwegian Red Cross in Afghanistan is to enhance the provision of sustainable quality primary health care for maternal, new-born and child health including mental health and disability services in areas where other entities struggle to deliver such services. Norwegian Red Cross also supports hospitals providing treatment of injuries and the establishment of capacitated mobile surgical teams.
The purpose for this position is to address the issue of violence against patients, health workers, facilities and vehicles, and ensuring safe access to and delivery of health care in armed conflict and other emergencies. As well as the Afghan Red Crescent Society (ARCS) in defining and implementing in a transversal and coherent manner their actions in this respect.
The position is embedded to ICRC.
Some responsibilities as Healthcare in Danger Delegate in Afghanistan includes:
Reporting, analysing, planning**
· Gathers and analyses relevant HCiD information from all sources available and inform relevant stakeholders with the findings.
· Produces plan of action
· Monitors HCiD data reported from a variety of sources (other organisations, media, etc.).
· Monitors and reports on achievements of objectives and proposes adaptations and solutions as required to the HCiD Steering Committee.
· Contributes to the delegation’s strategy related HCiD.
· Contributes to a regular exchange and dialogue with relevant international and national organizations (such as UNAMA, WHO, AIMA) to ensure humanitarian coordination and advocacy.
Coaching and Training
· Briefs and give technical advice to all relevant ICRC and ARCS staff on HCiD activities.
Representing the ICRC
· Develops and maintains a network of relevant interlocutors in coordination with the department coordinators
· Represents the ICRC and/or ARCS in meetings with interlocutors relevant for HCiD activities.
We seek a person who.
· adheres to company rules and procedures; execute plans with commitment and determination; achieves high quality results
· communicates in a clear, precise, and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively with compelling evidence.
· makes an impact; convinces and persuades others; promotes plans and ideas successfully
· builds a useful network of contacts and relationships and utilizes it to achieve objectives.
· uses a methodical and systematic approach; plans, defines clear priorities and allocates resources effectively.
· co-operates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals.
· Relevant university master degree
· 5+ years in humanitarian development in highly insecure contexts
· Proven knowledge of HCiD.
· Proven experience in coordinating multidisciplinary projects
· Demonstrated skills in training and coaching, preferably in cross-cultural environments
· experience in working within the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement in the areas of Protection, Health, Communication and Cooperation is a strong asset
· Fluent written and spoken English, – working proficiency of Farsi is an asset.
Deputy Head of Delegation ICRC based in Dubai, UAE and Country Programme Manager Afghanistan**
Position is based in:
Dubai, frequent visit to Kabul, Afghanistan (TBC)
12 months’ contract, possible with extension
Why should you apply?
· Meaningful: Youll be a part of the world’s largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
· Impact: You will help National Society in the country to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
· Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world.
· A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity. We are looking to improve our gender balance and particularly encourage qualified women candidates to apply.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidates.