Place: Iraq (Based in Erbil with regular travels in the field) Starting date: as soon as possible
Length: 2 years with possible renewal
Closing date for applications: 7th of April 2021
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”
Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in more than 60 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
HI has been registered and operational in Iraq since 1991 and has become a lead implementing agency in the emergency response in the Health and Protection sectors, operating across Ninewa, Kirkuk, Baghdad, Sulemaniyah and Diyala Governorates. Since 2014, HI has scaled up its intervention in Iraq to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In line with HI Iraq’s Operational Strategy for the period 2017-2020, the global objective of HI programming in Iraq is to Enhance the protection and resilience of conflict-affected communities in Iraq; an objective achieved through an operational framework of three central pillars:
- Arms Risk Reduction: Reduce the impact of the Conventional Weapon (CW) and Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) for conflict-affected populations through Risk Education and land release
- Health: Improve access to specific services for the most vulnerable people whose physical and functional and/or psychological integrity is compromised, through the provision of physical rehabilitation and Mental Health/Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) services
- Access to Essential Services: Ensure equal access to essential services, protection and basic needs for all conflict-affected populations, including persons with disabilities
These pillars are complemented by three cross-cutting themes: a comprehensive approach to mine action, inclusion mainstreaming, and protection mainstreaming.
Inclusion is central to HI’s mission globally, with a commitment to understanding and approaching disability inclusion as human-right following the concepts of disability provided in the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).
Inclusive humanitarian action refers to actions to ensure the right to protection and assistance in all stages of the humanitarian crisis (preparedness, response, and reconstruction and recovery) for all affected persons, regardless of age, gender, disability and any other characteristic. HI projects in Iraq engage with humanitarian and government actors to provide technical support, training and tools to promote inclusive responses, reconstruction and recovery processes. HI strongly believes that persons with disabilities themselves, as civil society representatives must play a central role in ensuring that their human rights are translated into concrete measures that effectively improve their lives. Our overall objective of projects focused on developing the capacity of CSO’s is to promote the full participation of persons with disabilities in all areas and at all levels while simultaneously promoting and technically supporting disability and gender inclusion mainstreaming through all HI and consortium partners activities.
To carry out of this project, HI Iraq is looking for his/her Inclusion Technical Field Specialist for 24 months with possible renewal
Under the management of the Technical Unit Manager, as Inclusion Technical Field Specialist, you are responsible to ensure harmonization of HI Iraq’s inclusion approach through coordination with external actors and HI programme staff.
You contribute to the implementation of the mandate and the 10-year strategy of Humanity & Inclusion. You ensure optimal quality and impact of the projects implemented in the country, through a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms. You share with all HI managers the responsibility of a sound management and successful functioning of the global organization, through paradigm changes.
In this framework, your main missions are:
- Contribute to the regional strategies in line with the global strategies
- Ensure technical support to projects in line with the global technical frameworks and standards on your sectorial scope
- Ensure technical learning from projects
- Ensure the control & monitoring of the technical quality and the relevance of HI’s activities in the Programmes under your scope
- Ensure compliance of the technical proposition with nexus stakes
- Contribute to the development of research and innovation projects in the region when relevant, in your sectorial scope
- Contribute to the Technical Divisions professional channel animation
- Contribute to the local external prestige and influence of HI’s expertise in his sectorial scope
- Business development:
- Ensure the development of major opportunities or new projects in the region under his sectorial scope
YOUR PROFILE :
- You hold Degree in Humanitarian Action/Development studies or social fields (Occupational therapy, Physiotherapy, Social work….)
- You have experience working directly with people with disabilities (social assistance, personalised support) & good understanding of the rights of persons with disabilities, and other vulnerable groups and their challenges in humanitarian settings and are familiar with principles and frameworks that promote inclusive humanitarian action for persons with disabilities
- You show proven experience in projects mainstreaming disability in humanitarian action and providing technical guidance on mainstreaming disability to INGOs
- You know and you like designing and facilitating training on inclusion and related topics (human rights, disability, age, gender, accessibility…)
- You have strong internal and external coordination and representation skills
- You are able to work under high pressure with a great level of personal organisation
- You are fluent in English (oral & written); Arabic and / or Kurdish language skills would be an asset
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION :
The position is based in Erbil, where there is an active social life and most facilities are available. The position will require frequent travel to the areas of intervention, where HI teams are working in community resources centres, IDP camps, health facilities and the communities in areas of Iraqi Kurdistan, Kirkuk, Nineveh, Diyala and Anbar and Baghdad if visas are issued.
The security context remains fluid and movement restrictions can be introduced on an ad hoc basis.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. Particular attention is paid to health issues and your personal situation.
We offer an induction and training path adapted to our staff members and we have a HR policy oriented toward mobility and professional development.
- 24 months International contract (with possible renewal) starting from May 2021
- The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:
- Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals
- Pension scheme adapted to the situation of our employees: If you already have a personal pension scheme HI will contribute at the same level of your personal monthly contribution with a maximum of 272.53€/month ; If you do not have a personal pension scheme, we will open a private pension account with your contribution of 272.53€/month and a contribution of HI of the same amount
- Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution
- Repatriation insurance paid by HI
- Salary from 2757€ gross/month upon experience
- Perdiem : 494 € net/month – paid in the field
- Paid leaves : 25 days per year;
- R&R : 5 days every 3 months
- open to couples
Support travel costs (air ticket & visa) for accompanying dependent and health/ repatriation insurance if the dependent has no income/
Mission of more than 18 months: payment of one yearly additional return flight
- Payment for travel costs (air ticket & visa) and transport of your personal effects (from 12 months of mission)
- Housing : individual taken in charge by HI
If you are resident in the country: local package
How to apply
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link:
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying !
Only successful candidates will be contacted.