The Preparedness for Response and Recovery department is currently implementing the Asian Preparedness Partnership (APP) program. APP is a multi-stakeholder regional partnership comprising national and sub-national governments, local NGOs, civil society organizations, media, academia, and the private sector in Cambodia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, and Sri Lanka, with the support from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The APP promotes and supports locally-led actions to prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters, commonly referred to as “localization.” One of the key areas of focus under APP is promoting inclusive approaches in localization. The Technical Specialist will guide the APP to integrate gender-equal approaches in their implementation and develop the APP Gendering Guidelines and Tool. The technical specialist will also undertake a landscape analysis of the existing tools and guidelines on gender integration in DRR/ Emergency response for providing recommendations for the APP for the appropriate tool and develop the APP Gendering Guidelines and Tool in consultation with the APP program team. The specialist will further lead the piloting of the tool for feedback and finalization and conduct an orientation workshop for guiding the local partners in the APP countries. The specialist will also guide the rollout, dissemination and monitoring, and evaluation plan for the guideline and the tool. These actions will enable the implementation of APP interventions to be gendered and inclusive.
Scope of Services
The Technical Specialist will be responsible for providing technical inputs and implementation of the Asian Preparedness Partnership program for the following tasks;
● Landscape analysis of the existing initiatives, tools, and guidelines on gender integration in DRR/ Emergency response globally, in APP countries, and in ADPC for providing recommendations for Gendering APP;
● Concept note and outline of the proposed guideline and tool for Gendering APP;
● Development of the APP Gendering Guideline and Tool;
● Piloting of the APP gendering Guideline and Tool in selected countries for feedback and finalization
● Development of a video presentation for orientation on APP Gendering Guideline and Tool;
● Sensitization training of the APP Regional Steering Committee members, APP program team, and other relevant stakeholders on Gendering APP;
● The rollout, dissemination, monitoring, and evaluation plan/ guide for the APP Gendering Guidelines and Tool
Qualifications and Experience
• Ph.D. or Masters in gender and development studies, social sciences, anthropology, or a relevant field;
• A minimum of 8 years of professional experience of working in the area of Gender and Diversity;
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in gender and diversity within disaster risk management in an international setting;
• Demonstrated experience in designing strategies and plans and developing guidelines for mainstreaming gender equality in programs;
• Proven research and analytical work in the relevant fields
• Proven ability and experience in qualitative and quantitative methods of data analysis, data collection, case study development, high profile report writing, and documentation;
• Analytical capacity and demonstrated ability to process, analyze and synthesize complex, technical information into user-friendly formats and products;
• Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills and the ability to work with a team in a multicultural environment are the desirable attributes for completion of this assignment;
• Knowledge and working ethics of national or state government agencies, international NGOs, National NGOs, private organizations, and international organizations would be an added advantage.
The contract duration will be for 6 months, from 26 April 2021 till 25 October 2021. The level of effort and the number of days required for the required deliverables will be agreed upon in consultation with the selected applicant.
In performing the duties and responsibilities indicated above, the consultant will be supervised by APP Program Lead, Director, PRR and work closely with the program managers in APP countries.
This is a home-based assignment. In case required to travel for the assignment, the Technical Specialist will be entitled to international travel, daily subsistence allowance, accommodation, and other related travel costs, including visa and terminal fees as per ADPC financial policy.
How to apply
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can submit the completed ADPC application form (downloadable from www.adpc.net or ADPC Website ), resume, copy of degrees/certificate(s), and relevant portfolio of work together with a cover letter to
firstname.lastname@example.org within 11 April 2021 at midnight Bangkok time.
Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply. ADPC encourages diversity in its workplace and
supports an inclusive work environment.