The United Nations Global Service Centre (UNGSC) provides critical Supply Chain, Geospatial, Information and Telecommunications Technologies services and Training to all Secretariat Entities, Peacekeeping and Special Political Missions, Agencies, Funds and Programmes of the UN system worldwide.
This position is located in the Network Support Unit (NSU) of the Infrastructure Operations Section (IOS) within the Service for Geospatial, Information and Telecommunication Technology (SGITT) at the UNGSC, Brindisi, Italy.
The Information Systems Officer will work under the supervision of the Chief IOS or other designated officer.
Within delegated authority, the Information Systems Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
– Plans and directs all major information systems projects within UNGSC, monitoring the progress of the systems analysis, design, development, testing and implementation of new, moderately complex systems, and/or, participates as a member of a team with responsibility for major components of the more complex systems
– Manages the Information Systems budget, formulating and monitoring budget allocations and expenditures, verifying funding and ensuring no overrun occurs;
– Develops technical specifications for the procurement of equipment and contractual services, and coordinates the technical evaluation of offers and proposals received;
– Handles all aspects of contract administration including the establishment of service level agreements with vendors and chargeback policy for users;
– Develops and recommends strategies to implement global information systems projects originating out of DOS and UNGSC;
– Develops, implements and monitors information systems standards, guidelines and procedures; Develops detailed systems and other functional specifications and user documentation for system as required;
– Provides specialized advice to users, analysing users’ requirements and translating these into new applications; determines application systems integration and linkage issues;
– Maintains, upgrades or enhances existing user systems; troubleshoots and provides continuing support, to include resolving difficult problems, advising on the use of new techniques, monitoring transactions to measure performance and continued effectiveness of assigned systems, etc;
– Develops training materials, operating and user manuals; trains staff in assigned systems;
– Develops disaster recovery plans relating to information systems and ensures appropriate planning and training of those responsible;
– Researches, analyses and evaluates new technologies and makes recommendations for their deployment;
– Participates in writing reports and papers on systems-related topics, system requirements, information strategy etc;
– Provides professional leadership and work direction for the Information Systems Officers and other staff of the Unit, develops the yearly work plan, mentors and supervises personnel of the Unit.
Internetworking & Infrastructure
– Develops plans for major IT systems projects within UNGSC monitoring the progress of the design, installation and commissioning of the various networks and systems;
– Leads the team in the operation and maintenance of internetworking systems that includes routers and switches, operating systems platforms, database management systems, servers, workstations, and related equipment;
– Devises and administers disaster recovery plans; provides training for support staff to implement these plans to ensure optimal readiness;
– Responsible for the proper implementation of backup and recovery procedures;
– Maintains a regular review of the network resources access control, data security, and server and data stores security systems;
– Ensures all information security systems are properly configured and maintained;
– Oversees the user access control for network resources and overall network security;
– Provides guidance to, and may supervise, new/junior staff, consultants, etc.
How to apply
Please click on the following link to apply: https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=201390&Lang=en-US