Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
After years of close cooperation on humanitarian response, IOM has developed a strategic partnership with the European Union’s Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) to join forces in providing humanitarian assistance and protection in addressing the mobility dimensions of crises situations. The intern will join the Emergency and Post-Crisis Unit in the IOM Regional Office in Brussels. Under this position, the intern will contribute to IOM’s extensive humanitarian work by supporting liaison and fundraising with DG ECHO. The intern will not only become acquainted with the policies and functioning of IOM as an international organization, but also learn more about the current EU policy discourse on humanitarian aid and migration. And ultimately the intern will contribute to saving and improving the lives of migrants caught in the most vulnerable situations around the world.
Under the direct supervision of the Emergency and Post-Crisis Project Assistant, the intern will have the following duties and responsibilities:
• Assist in reviewing project reports in the field of humanitarian aid from IOM field missions to DG ECHO. This includes assisting in the review of report content, drafting of cover letters and update of relevant IOM databases and uploading the reports in APPEL;
• Assist in resources mobilization by regularly monitoring and analyzing new funding opportunities, relevant press releases and communications, as well as events that are of interest to IOM in the field of humanitarian aid;
• Assist in liaising with EC staff as well as IOM missions by attending EC events, sharing messages / summary of relevant EC documentation, regularly updating the IOM EPC Regional Office Brussels webpage and drafting of communication with EC counterparts;
• Attend unit meetings, external partner meetings, and/or thematic seminars and conferences and take notes when required;
• Assist in the organization of meetings and events;
• Assist in relevant tasks in the fields of emergency and post-crisis, and resettlement;
• Any other tasks as may be required by your supervisors.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Completed University degree in Political Sciences, Social Sciences, International Relations or Law.
• First professional experience or internship in the field of EU liaison or in the field of humanitarian aid or DG ECHO.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
• Knowledge about EU institutions, EU decision budget rules and procedures is an advantage;
• Knowledge about humanitarian aid
• Good level of computer literacy, ability to present information with visual infographics is an asset;
• Strong organizational skills;
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds
• Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
• Practical experience of how to multitask, prioritize and work independently;
Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English is an absolute minimum requirement. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• The intern is granted a Monthly Subsistence Allowance (MSA) as partial contribution towards accommodation and living expenses. MSA is calculated based on the intern’s education level and the distance of residence to the place of assignment at the time of appointment.
• The internship is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications – Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter to [email protected] by 31 March 2021 midnight the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.