Employer: Village Enterprise
Industry: Nonprofit/International Development/Social Entrepreneurship
Function: Support field-level participant Tracking, Monitoring, Evaluation and Research, assist in all phases of M & E program
Job Title: KSEIP Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Coordinator
Position Type: Full Time
Reports to: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager
Organization and Project Overview: Village Enterprise’s mission is to end extreme poverty in rural Africa through entrepreneurship and innovation. Village Enterprise targets the poor, provides business training, seed capital/startup funds and on-going mentoring to over 10,000 new entrepreneurs to start 3,000 enterprises each year. Since its inception in 1987, Village Enterprise has started over 40,000 micro-enterprises.
The Government of Kenya with funding from the World Bank has contracted the GDI Led Consortium (comprised of GDI, BOMA Project, and Village Enterprise) to provide technical assistance to support the implementation of the economic inclusion pilot under the Kenya Social and Economic Inclusion Project (KSEIP).
The Department of Social Development (DSD) in the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection together with the GDI led Consortium aims to test economic inclusion interventions in five pilot counties (Kisumu, Makueni, Marsabit, Muranga, and Taita Taveta) to establish good practices and a replicable model for potential future scale-up in Kenya. The overarching goals of the 3-year project are: i) to create improved social and economic outcomes for 7,500 extreme poor in 5 Counties, and ii) support the State Department of Social Protection to have the capacity and tools to lead and scale Economic Inclusion in Kenya.
About the Job:
Village Enterprise is seeking a candidate who will use his/ her expertise to assist with Village Enterprise’s dynamic field- level monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) team and activities for the KSEIP project. Program areas of involvement include: Oversight for implementation of participants tracking system, data collection, compilation, cleaning and analysis; database and information management system; write-up and deliver the monitoring and evaluation report ; conduct field visits and community consultations and community consultations; staff trainings on M&E tools/system; conduct routine data quality assessment; coordination and collaboration with consortium partners and the Government of Kenya; participate and monitor in the organizational research initiatives as well as ensure the field data collection processes. A minimum time commitment of two years is required.**
Project Specific MEL Responsibilities: 60%
· Build the capacity of the staff in development and use of project indicator performance tracking table for monitoring of progress;
· Assist with activity-level monitoring and verification of results in the field, including ensuring that data is complete, accurate, and consistent with agreements and reports;
- Development and review of data collection tools as requested
- Coordinate with database staff on verifying and cross-referencing incoming data and completed reports as needed;
- Conduct data quality checks and internal assessments;
- Develop/update training materials in key aspects of monitoring and verification tools, protocols and processes;
- Conduct trainings and develop the capacity of field staff;
- Assist with implementation of surveys.
· Lead implementation of MEL Team initiatives for region/project(s), including:
o Measure and enforce adherence to data quality protocols, including:
§ Supervise MEL Senior Enumerator(s), ensuring monitoring of data collection and ensuring audits are both carried out accurately and productively as fitting
§ Conduct timely routine data quality assessment (RDQA) of all incoming data and submit data quality reports to supervisor.
o Timely cleaning of all participant tracking and monitoring data
o Analysis of participant tracking and monitoring data when needed
o Maintenance of participant tracking and monitoring dashboards and custom reports; creation of additional internal reports and memos as necessary
o Consolidate raw data sets to be submitted to the KSEIP consortium
o Creation of MEL Reports for funders/stakeholders in line with regional/project specific obligations
o Coordinate and collaborate with KSEIP consortium partners and the Government of Kenya as needed
o Perform of data quality assurance.
o Train field teams of region/project(s) in data capture responsibilities as they relate to: targeting, participant enrollment, participant tracking, grant applications, and business spot checks
o Build and maintain relationships with field staff. Coordinate with staff from other teams as necessary towards the following goals:
§ Procurement of enumerator protective gear and data collection equipment as needed
§ Supervise the field data collections and ensure the quality of gathered raw data
§ Open and clear communication channels are maintained for sharing of MEL findings;
· Clear timelines are in place for when staff might expect formal reporting (ex., targeting verification reports within 2 weeks of close of targeting; business owner registration stats available in real time but data fully cleaned within one week of final sync)
· Additional findings are shared with relevant parties on an ongoing basis
§ Problems are brought forward, ‘lessons learned’ are openly discussed, and innovations/solutions are tested
§ Staff understand why information is needed from them and by when (for example, each cycle BM assignments are needed at least a week before the refresher training so that the database can be prepped and the new targeting forms can be assigned to the Business Mentors in advance of the training)
Other monitoring and evaluation tasks as assigned.
· Provide M&E support for Innovations and Learning initiatives as assigned by supervisor
Cross-Region/Project MEL Responsibilities: 30%
· In collaboration with other MEL Coordinators and under the guidance of the MEL Manager:
o Create or maintain high quality training materials (Manuals, PowerPoint presentations, practice Taro Works forms, etc.)
o Design (when necessary), create, and publish, data capture forms
o For outcome data, assist with data cleaning, analysis and reporting
o Manage and lead the database management system
o Participate in special project evaluations, and review of M&E tools
o Develop and maintain templates to be used by MEL Senior Enumerators for planning and reporting
o Develop, document in MEL Manual, and maintain policies and procedures to be followed by MEL Senior Enumerators
o Maintenance of MEL Manual
o Other monitoring and evaluation tasks as assigned.
Operations Role: 10%
· Assist in the adaptation, implementation, monitoring, and expansion of the Village Enterprise core program
· Provide support to field management team when needed
· Other operations tasks as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Experience with developing, testing, and refining data collection approaches, systems, tools and processes for program monitoring in line with required FFP indicators;
· Experience supporting local institutions to help them to improve their information systems;
· Experienced in developing data collection tools, data collection protocols, quality assurance strategies, data management and data visualization;
· Ability to multi-task within tight deadlines and with strong attention to detail;
· Excellent English, oral and written;
· Strong collaborative and relationship management skills.
· Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility at VE, and it begins with me
· Continuously sensitize program participants on safeguarding.
· Ensure compliance with VE’s safeguarding policies
· Report any incident of safeguarding in program operations for appropriate action/follow up.
● Understanding of data collection and the elements of data quality
● Monitoring and Evaluation Knowledge and Skills
● Critical Thinking & Technical Skills
● Training and Communication Skills.
● Work independently and as part of a team
● Leadership skills
● English fluency required
- Education: A Bachelor’s degree in the field of Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, Economics, international development or a related technical field
- At least three years of experience conducting monitoring and evaluation for social impact programming.
- Experience working with USAID funded projects is desirable
- Experience with salesforce and/ Taro works is a plus.
- Experience with working as part of a diverse team with the ability to email, phone, skype and other virtual communications.
- Experience in supervising data collection and teams of field workers.
- Possess the technical knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in the role, including;
- Strong quantitative skills and experience with data analysis; good command of STATA
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, MS Word and MS Power Point
- Proficiency with Google Documents, Gmail, and Android applications, ODK and electronic or mobile data collection system
- Understand the elements of data quality: consistent, complete, accurate, timely, verifiable, valid
- Proven ability to design monitoring and evaluation plans, including developing theories of change and logical frameworks.
- Ability to develop SMART indicators
- Literacy with the basic methods for data collection: Surveys, interviews, performance tests, site visits/observation, focus group discussions, participatory methods, pre-existing data.
- Aptitude for designing and implementing surveys
- Aptitude for conducting data quality assessments and with cleaning data
· Possess training and Communication Skills
o Demonstrate ability to communicate key concepts to people with less than level 5 education
o Ability to orally communicate issues, problems and key information
o Ability to write clear, concise memos highlighting issues, problems and key information
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates who meet the set criteria are invited to send their CV (Maximum 3 pages) including 3 referees & salary history and expectation to:
Here’s the link to apply:
Applications should be received not later than Tuesday, 13th April, 2021.
N/B: If you had applied earlier, kindly do not re-apply