Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the overall supervision of the head of migration Management Unit and the direct supervision of Programme Coordinator (Technical Cooperation and Security Governance), the successful candidate will be responsible for providing legal support and supporting the implementation of counter-trafficking interventions in Iraq, in line with Migration Governance and Technical Cooperation Programming.
IOM is supporting the GoI to strengthen migration management using a whole-of-government approach. IOM and the GoI established a Technical Working Group in April 2019 to oversee development of an evidence base, policy formulation and the implementation of a national migration strategy. The success operationalization of the strategy will require institutional capacity building on a range of relevant thematic areas, including Counter-trafficking and establishment of referral mechanism.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Provide technical and operational support to the implementation of HLP and Women Legal Counselling activities as part of the Community Policing and Counter-Trafficking related-programming; ensure consistency and advise on synergies among relevant projects’ outputs, including the development of SOPs guiding specific referral mechanisms among involved parties;
- Support capacity building of relevant stakeholders, such as government officials, civil society actors, and private sector, including developing and validating context-specific technical and monitoring guidelines and standard operating procedures to guide the cooperation between law enforcement actors, civil society/Referral Guidance Centres and CPFs, and establish referral mechanisms;
- Contribute to improving access to legal services on GBV, CRSV, trafficking, documentation and property related issues by supervising and providing technical advise to the HLP Coordinator and strengthening the capacities of IOM staff employed at Women’s Legal Counselling Offices (WLCO) and HLP Centres, on identifying, counseling, and referral of victims and beneficiaries; act as focal point with third party contractors involved in capacity building of these functions;
- In cooperation with the Analysis and Information Management (AIM) section and the Training Specialists, support the development and delivery of counter-trafficking and referral practices trainings for IOM staff, partners, and key institutional stakeholders;
- Building on the assessments previously conducted, in coordination with the Technical Cooperation and Security Governance and the Migration Governance Sections, revise and amend the documentation available, and provide strategic recommendations including but not limited to, the operationalization of the TiP Referral Pathways, development of the National Migration Strategy and others as applicable, ensuring consistency with the scope of the wider Migration Management programming;
- In coordination with the Project Support Unit, assist in drafting project proposal on projects relevant to Migration Management Unit with specific focus on the areas of Counter-Trafficking, HLP and Legal Counselling matter and provide technical inputs to relevant donor reports as required and in close collaboration with the Analysis and Information Management (AIM) section;
- Contribute to effective institutional knowledge management on Counter-Trafficking within IOM Iraq in close collaboration with the Analysis and Information Management (AIM) section;
- Undertake any other duties as may be assigned.
· Master’s degree in Law, Labour Law, Migration Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or,
· University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
Experience & Skills
· Experience working in the field of rule of law and protection of vulnerable people and/or refugees, migrants and/or internally displaced people and human rights;
· Knowledge of international law and standards on counter-trafficking; knowledge of national law and standards on counter-trafficking is strongly preferred;
· Experience working on counter-trafficking interventions; experience in the region is strongly preferred;
· Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
· Working experience with an operational UN agency or a major international NGO in the field of CT, community policing and assistance to refugees, internally displaced people and migrants is an asset;
· Fluency in English is required.
· Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:**
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators *level 2**
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via a link:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.