Since the beginning of the war in 2011, Caritas Syria (CS) has been very actively supporting people in need. Through its various projects, CS has offered different kinds of aid mainly in the sectors of food and basic assistance, education, elderlies support, psycho-social support for children, and shelter, as the war has deprived most Syrians of any source of income.
In order to support self-reliance of vulnerable households affected by the conflict in Syrian and Caritas has developed a project based on a NEXUS approach that aims to help vulnerable households (HHs) move from reliance on basic assistance towards resilient and sustainable livelihoods. The project targets IDPs, host and other conflict-affected communities in Homs and Hama with tailored assistance to distinct beneficiary categories that are differentiated along vulnerability criteria on the one hand, and eligibility criteria to receive business support (start up and restart package) on the other.
To promote the development of small scale businesses Caritas is looking for a Market Research Analyst to identify opportunities for Small-, and Medium-Size Enterprises (SME) business development in identified geographical areas (Homs and Hama) in Syria.
To conduct a market analysis to identify opportunities for SME business development, with the aim to inform the development of SMEs as suppliers of essential goods and services for the daily life in Syria.
The successful market researcher will be able to assess and analyze autonomously quantitative and qualitative data and identify relevant economic sectors with a view on SME opportunities that also allow Caritas to establish a long-term strategy in private business engagement as part of its livelihoods program in Syria.
In particular, the market analysis should cover the following aspects:
- Collect and analyze information to identify market potential and opportunities to start / restart SMEs in relevant sectors and to participate in value market chains accordingly
- Create a list of potential market opportunities and narrow down these opportunities by speaking to people who have direct experience in supplying and selling the products being investigated (this might include but it is not limited to: supermarkets, hotel operators, processing companies and kitchen managers at schools, and hospitals as well as entrepreneurial traders or wholesalers)
- Identify possible linkages between service providers and potential entrepreneurs
- Draw specific attention to SME business opportunities for women as a means of securing livelihoods and generating income
- Provide a cost estimation for start-up per identified sector
- Identify risks and formal and informal barriers for SME start up / restart and make recommendations to address these
It specifically focuses on Homs and Hama Governorates and targeted sub-locations within the Governorates.
The consultant is expected to come up with the best applicable approach to undertaking this market survey. However, the following should be taken into consideration
- Desk review of secondary data that are available on national level (Reports from Ministries of Social Affairs and Industry, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Commission, UN agenesis and INGOs reports, etc.) including data already collected by Caritas partners.
- Primary qualitative data collective through interviews with private sector, relevant government ministries and industries, agencies and institutions dealing with private business development
- Primary quantitative data gathered is collected (if required with support from partners), analyzed and interpreted systematically and disaggregated by geographic area, sectors and sex.
- Extensive mapping of SME business development opportunities through primary data collection (both qualitative and quantitative data).
i. Inception report: detailing the methodology including the main research methods, proposed sources of data, procedures for data collection and analysis, and detailed table of contents reflecting the specific objectives as specified in the ToR. The proposed research tools will be discussed and approved by Caritas Programme Team before data collection commences.
ii. Draft Final Market Analysis Report presenting all findings of the field phase and following the agreed table of contents as per the approved Inception report.
iii. Draft Final Report Analysis Report incorporating suggestions and recommendations from Caritas Programme Team. A second round of revision may be required before the final version of the Final Report can be produced.
iv. Submission of the final report with
a) clearly identified economic sectors suitable for SME development
b) opportunities that allow people to set up / to further develop their small scale business (SME); (language English, electronic copy in PDF Format).
c) clearly formulated strategic recommendations for Caritas engagement in the private business / SME sector.
v. An electronic copy of all data collection tools and the market study data set.
vi. Preparation of a workshop and a final presentation of the overall findings to Caritas.
Duration of the assignment
The duration of the assignment will be from March/April till July with an estimated work load of approximately 25 days (to be outlined in the offer).
Qualifications and experiance required
- Post-graduate degree in Social Sciences, Business, Economics, or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant professional experience in research and market studies.
- Strong background and demonstrable experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis.
- Technical expertise in assessing issues of business opportunity and the ability to draw strong and valid conclusions.
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication and report writing skills in English and Arabic
How to apply
Qualified applicants are requested to submit all required documents listed below to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Market Analysis R2R 2021’ by 25th March. Applications will be assessed as they come in. In order to ensure a fair selection process, we cannot respond to requests for further details or clarifications.
The application should include as a minimum:
- CVs of all consultants involved incl. professional references
- Completed application sheet (Annex 1) incl. profile, track record, methodology, financial proposal (only EUR or USD), signed declaration
- At least one sample of a recently written market analysis
Annex 1: Application Sheet (Excel)
Applicants can access the full ToR and relevant Annex documents under this link:
All candidates will receive a confirmation of receipt of the proposal and will be informed on the outcome of the selection process.
We look forward to receiving your application!