Position Title: MEDICAL ADVISOR Chronic Diseases
Location: North-East Syria or Remote Work in case of lockdown of the Country
Period: 5 months (with possible renewal)
Closing date of the vacancy: 04 April 2021 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting date: as soon as possible
Context presentation: Un Ponte Per (UPP) is a voluntary association founded in 1991, immediately after the bombing of Iraq, which promotes solidarity initiatives for Iraqis who suffered during the war. Un Ponte Per works in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organizations. In Italy, it promotes peace and disarmament, defends the common goods, and welcomes refugees and migrants. The aim of UPP is the prevention of new conflicts, particularly in the Middle East. This is achieved through advocacy campaigns, programs which educate and encourage cultural exchange, collaborative projects and peaceful civil interventions.
For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
DEFINITION OF THE POST
Un Ponte Per is looking for one Medical Advisor (MA) that will work under the supervision of the Medical Coordinator in the Health Department of UPP NES Mission to design, develop, implement and monitor the activities related to the comprehensive programmes of chronic diseases, in the UPP supported facilities in NES
The MA role is also to advice the Programme Department in the decision-making process and deliver project related documents according to donor requirement, under the supervision of the Programme Manager.
Role and Responsibilities
The medical advisor will be responsible for:
- Providing technical advice and guidance to Program Department and to Mission Management in the sector of intervention which the advisor is assigned (chronic diseases)
- Contributing in the decision-making processes related to the design and implementation of strategies and tools related to the specific sector of intervention (chronic diseases)
- Developing the functional design and operation of the services and programs of respiratory and cardiovascular risk care of supported facilities
- Assessing, advising and organizing clinical services, distribution and organization of staff, and the overall dynamic flow and roles of the so called “internal services” in supported facilities and provide regular monitoring and follow up
- Contributing to ensure accountability in front of the patients and communities for the services under his/her responsibility
- Training the general staff in:
- Functional design
- Organization of services, roles and responsibilities
- Overall staff management, particularly advising in the clinical aspect of the operation
- Preventive programs related to diminish the impact of chronic diseases and to reduce fatality of evolution
- To organize a chronic diseases program directed to chronic patients and to elderly people with community based orientation
- To develop a program against tot epidemic smoking habit
- To contribute to a promotional program of healthy nutrition directed to reduce overweigh and diabetes deterioration
- Training of the clinical staff (doctors, nurses, paramedics and midwifes) in:
- Clinical protocols directed to monitor CVD risk and respiratory diseases protocol, including the basic quality standards of clinical procedures
- To train nurses and doctors for developing preventive measures and community awareness related to exercise and habits directed to avoid chronic disease or disease deterioration
- Introduction of chronic disease periodical prescription procedure related to nurse and doctor review
- Case management
- Community, cultural and social aspects of elderly hazards and chronic disease impact, particularly focus in overweigh, diabetes, hypertension and chronic respiratory risk (including smoking habits)
- Organizing and advising a training curriculum for doctors, nurses, midwifes, and CHWs to be developed according to International recognized standards
- Monitoring the overall functioning of internal services in the targeted facilities, meeting the challenges and signaling the gaps and solutions to correct them, through regular field visits (when possible) or by developing and implementing tools for remote monitoring in case physical access is limited
- Advising and collaborating with the Project Manager in any demand related to his/her area of expertise
- Elaborating and analyzing M&E data for reporting purpose – Supporting the project managers in the reporting activities
- Medical or nursing degree. Internal medicine specialty is an asset
- Minimum of five years professional experience in the medical sector.
- Experience of at least three years as practicing doctor in primary and/or secondary care
- Mandatory: some experience in coordinating programs of chronic diseases – Internal medicine
- Experience as teacher of medicine or nursing, in accredited institutions. Management of training center is an asset. On site clinical training is an asset.
- Innovative health care management experience
- Experience in clinical training. Training in internal medicine is an asset
- Experience in advising or managing chronic diseases programs in low income countries and / or health related conflictive areas
- Good understanding of the project life cycle management
- Excellent capacity to work in team.
- Proven capacities to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives.
- Ability to supervise and/or mentor the medical staff.
- Previous work experience in humanitarian field.
- Working experience with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs, local institutions).
- Experience of planning, organizing and prioritizing work, working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure in stressful environments
- Knowledge of the Middle East context and relevant local actors.
- Excellent oral and written English. Arabic is an asset**
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence. By applying, any candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standard in terms of SEA and Child Safeguarding and the s/he won’t in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, UPP will conduct extensive reference check and vetting on shortlisted candidates, also over the contacts indicated by the candidate. Candidates are alerted that the required background check might compromise their privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV, a brief cover letter to address the requirements above and contact information for two professional references to: [email protected] . Please reference “MEDICAL ADVISOR CHRONIC DISEASES re-ad- Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application. Please apply with just one email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Due to the urgency of this position Un Ponte Per reserves the right to screen applications on a rolling basis.