The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in three main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Child and Maternal Health, and Urban Health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
Location:Mozambique, Manhiça and Maputo.**
What We Are Looking for
ISGlobal is seeking candidates for a Medical Coordinator, who is interested in taking over and managing activities of the clinical trial “An open-label, multicentre, randomised, adaptive platform trial of the safety and efficacy of several therapies, including antiviral therapies, versus control in mild / moderate cases of COVID-19” (ANTICOV) and their two ancillary studies (named ANTICOV-EPI and ANTICOV-IMMUNO).
The position will be based in two sites in Mozambique [Centro de Investigação em Saúde de Manhiça (CISM) & Centro de Investigação e Treino de Polana Caniço (CISPOC)].
The primary objective of the clinical trial is to compare the efficacy of alternative treatment strategies versus control on the risk of progression to severe respiratory disease in patients with mild/moderate COVID-19 disease.
The recruitment of the ANTICOV trial is a 6 months period funded by the UNITAID. The study is led by DNDi, and ISGLOBAL is sponsoring two sites in Mozambique.
- Medical sciences
- Clinical Epidemiology
- Clinical Trial
Training and experience /Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience in research studies. Previous experience in clinical trials will be highly valued.
- Proven ability to manage teams and leadership.
- Proven clinical experience working in sub-Saharan settings with local teams will be an asset
- Proven clinical experience working in sub-Saharan settings with special focus on HIV, TB and malaria will be an asset
- Clinical specialty will be positively evaluated.
- Relevant post-grad training in Epidemiology and/or Public Health will be positive evaluated.
- Good Clinical Practices certification will be an asset.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word) and Web applications. Acquaintance with statistics software will be an asset.
- Being a member of the College of Physicians of Mozambique is required to apply to this position.
- Ensure the good performance of ANTICOV project and the two sub-studies, which could include specific clinical support, at the CISM and CISPOC under the supervision of ISGlobal (sponsor) principal investigator.
- Guarantee the training and technical-scientific support of the personnel of the both clinical departments.
- Guarantee the technical quality of the procedures developed in the area.
- Coordinate in concordance with the protocol and sponsor requirements both clinical teams.
- Ensure that all procedures of the ANTICOV project study (and the ancillary studies) are conducted in accordance with good clinical practices, with emphasis on the correct implementation of the protocol and standard operating procedures, data collection, data cleaning, monitoring and interpretation of the data.
- Guarantee the fluid communication between sites and sponsor.
- Ensure the alignment of the study clinical procedures and patient management with the most updated National Guidelines.
- Assist with the development of site and trial specific documents including but not limited to ICFs, source templates, recruitment plans, trial visit and participant dosing plans.
- Give support to the local CRA in the monitoring activities of the clinical trial when needed ensuring the correct collaboration between the sites and ISGlobal.
- Supervise the occurrence of any adverse event related with the study and ensure the correct flow of communication between the clinical team, the safety group, the competent authorities and ISGlobal.
- Be the primary person responsible for the preparation, tracking and submission of relevant documents to all relevant local and national authorities and ethical committees, to obtain clinical trial approval in accordance with Sponsor requirements.
- Follow up, document and report on adverse events that occur in the clinical trial.
- Train and support local doctors of the area in technical and technical aspects.
- Participate in the meetings of the research team at ISGlobal as well as CISM and CISPOC.
- Participate in the analysis and writing of scientific articles, according to the needs of the research team and under the supervision of the principal investigator.
- Collaborate in other potential projects associated with the same research group at ISGlobal (and CISM).
- Problem resolution.
- Learning capacity.
- Excellent level of English.
- High level of Spanish and/or Portuguese required.
- Duration: 12 months
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Contract: full time
- Salary Range: The conditions will be agreed according to training and experience.
- During the crisis caused by COVID19, standard working conditions will be adapted to sanitary requirements.
- Location: Mozambique (between Manhiça and Maputo). Due to the emergency of COVID-19 pandemic and the need to start the clinical trial asap, being a member of the College of Physicians of Mozambique is required to apply to this position.
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: Clinical_Coordinator_ANTICOV_Mar21, attach the CV, Cover Letter and contacts for references. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until 15th April 2021.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The interviews could be placed during the reception candidatures period.
In ISGlobal we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such as age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings, religion or sexual orientation.