Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of all nutrition activities in the project location. Providing management, strategic direction, management and monitoring of the nutrition project in Renk. Manages relationships with local nutrition actors.
Medair has been providing integrated services in Renk across three sectors – nutrition, health and WASH. Due to the high GAM rates in Renk, Nutrition forms the largest portion of programming with providing Community-based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) and Maternal Infant and Young Child Feeding and Nutrition (MIYCN), targeting children under five years and pregnant and lactating women (PLW). Medair provides treatment to children under five years for Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM) under the Outpatient Therapeutic Program (OTP) and Moderate Acute Malnutrition (MAM) with Therapeutic Supplementary Feeding (TSFP) through seven static sites and eight mobile nutrition sites. SAM cases with medical complications are managed within the Inpatient Therapeutic Program at the Stabilization Centre in Abayok. Due to heightened insecurity Medair programming, like all other NGOs in Renk, were forced to suspend activities in October 2020, however with the stabilization of the security situation, Medair hopes to re-initiate programming in Renk in the immediate future.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position is based in Renk County, Upper Nile State, South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Continue with ongoing assessment & program evaluation to determine areas needed for rehabilitation of nutrition.
- Re-establish and maintain relationships with relevant nutrition actors in the new location.
- Implement immediate community nutrition screening through existing networks of nutrition volunteers and distribution of OTP/TSFP food rations, followed by the re-opening of nutrition clinics.
- Attend the regular state-level Ministry of Health and Nutrition Cluster meetings. Proactively network and coordinate with the state-level Nutrition Cluster and monitor gaps in nutrition services provision in the location.
- Coordinate with the funding manager and advisor(s), to review Project Coordination Agreements, Memorandum of Understandings, with UN agencies, government ministries, and NGO partners relating to nutrition work.
- Accountable for the management of all gift-in-kind nutrition supplies and regular reporting on gift-in-kind stocks.
- Ensure clear internal coordination within the nutrition team, the wider Renk Project team, & with Advisors.
Quality Management/Project Design
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to Medair policy and compliant with Medair, donor, South Sudan and international guidelines; in conjunction with the Project Coordinator, follow the guidance of the Nutrition Advisor regarding nutrition programme quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Responsible for monitoring progress against set nutrition indicators with Project Coordinator & Nutrition Advisor.
- Improve the quality of the nutrition project activities, implementation of Core Humanitarian Standard. Collaborate with the M&E Team to facilitate annual Nutrition SMART surveys and Knowledge, and Coverage (KPC) surveys.
- Line manage Nutrition Managers & Nutrition Officers. Use Medair HR tools to support professional development.
- Make decisions on staff planning and movement in and out of the field. Coordinate and approve RnRs and holidays for staff. Conduct staff appraisals and enforce disciplinary policies for positions directly managed.
- Look for relevant training opportunities for all staff in liaison with the Nutrition Advisor, and advocate for different, emergency response training opportunities where appropriate to the role, such as access negotiation.
- Maintain a focus on building the capacity of the team, delegating tasks under supervision as appropriate.
- Interview potential national and international staff, make recommendations for final hiring decisions.
- Final authority for all nutrition requests going to the logs and finance departments.
- Work with Juba and Renk Logistics teams to prevent stock outages and ensure stock requests, purchase requests, cash forecasts and movement requests are submitted appropriately in Juba.
- Monitor expiry dates of gift-in-kind and other stocks to prevent food and drugs from expiring.
- Draft annual budgets for nutrition projects. Review and approve all project expenditures and expense coding.
- Manage the assigned project budget and track expenses against project budgets, working with the Project Coordinator and finance officer to address issues of over or under-spending.
- Support the development of Security Risk Assessments and Security Plans for interventions in new project areas.
- Monitoring security situation for teams traveling to field locations, gathering information from various sources and feeding back important information to the Project Coordinator and Medair management.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
Reporting and Communications
- Complete monthly situation reports. Provide programme data for donor reports to the Funding Manager & Nutrition Advisor prior to submission to donors. Provide photographs & information to donors.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Diploma or degree in Nutrition or related field such as Nursing or Midwifery.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- 1 year of management experience. 1 year of overseas an emergency context.
- Knowledge and experience of primary health care principles and management.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills. Problem solving ability.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and CHS and other international humanitarian guidelines.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).