The Fred Hollows Foundation is a development organization working in more than 25 countries. We help train and empower local eye doctors, nurses and health workers to create a sustainable system of care in the communities that need it most. The work we do has a very clear purpose: to make sure everyone, whether they are rich or poor, has access to high quality, affordable eye health.
We focus on preventable and treatable diseases such as cataract, trachoma and diabetic retinopathy. Our in-country work involves local training and providing affordable technology, so doctors, nurses and health care workers can recognize, diagnose, refer and treat eye problems in their communities. We use research to improve our understanding of avoidable blindness, then use our findings to implement strategies and advocate for change.
As part of our global efforts to eliminate blindness, The Fred Hollows Foundation (FHF) has been working in Ethiopia (the world’s most trachoma-endemic country) and Eritrea in its effort to eliminate trachoma.
About the role
The Operations Manager will be accountable for the successful management of the administrative and operational components of the Fred Hollows Foundation Ethiopia office. The Operations Manager, while underpinned by strong operational experience will operate across many areas such as Administration, Procurement and Logistics, Security, Risk Management, Office Management, Policies and Processes. The Operations Manager is accountable for streamlining The Fred Hollows Foundation Ethiopia (FHFE) workflows serving as the link between various departments, employees and vendors.
Key responsibilities & outcomes
- Collaborate with departments to identify and deliver FHFE’s operational indicators and compliance requirements.
- Work with departmental heads to identify, plan and implement operational requirements for The Foundation’s activities, ensuring projects meet budget and timeframe requirements, and the strategic objectives of The Foundation are supported.
- Manage the FHF Ethiopia operating environment, working with team leads to ensure compliance with FHF policies, procedures and relevant in-country legislation.
- Manage the Operations Unit’s budget development, implementation, monitoring and reporting throughout the year.
- Manage external vendors including IT, office leases, security leases, office maintenance, fleet, and other relevant agencies in Ethiopia.
- Oversee facility management and maintenance (office, warehouse and vehicle rentals, office cleaning, vehicle maintenance etc.)
- Manage the IT component of new systems development and upgrades within the FHF Ethiopia Office.
- Support the senior management team to assess and maintain an organisation-wide risk register and prepare quarterly reports (or as required in case of critical emerging risks) for submission to the Head of Finance & Operations.
- Working with the Head of Finance & Operations maintain a continuous risk analysis to identify and manage key compliance risks impacting FHF Ethiopia.
- Have at least 8 years’ experience in operations management with 5 years’ experience in a leadership position working for international development organizations
- Bachelor’s degree in Management, Business Administration, Business Management or equivalent is required.
- Experience working within the compliance and reporting frameworks outlined by the Ethiopian Agency for Civil Society Organizations (ACSO).
- Demonstrated experience in planning and budget development.
- Have sound knowledge of current legislation and regulatory requirements relevant to INGOs in Ethiopia.
- Possess good knowledge of procurement & logistics processes and internal control systems.
- Have strong communication skills including fluency in written and spoken English and the ability to write effectively for varied purposes and audiences including presentation, facilitation, and preparation of business letters and reports.
- High sense of integrity, ethics and confidentiality.
- Willingness and ability to take the initiative not only in identifying problems but also in suggesting and implementing agreed solutions.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Good people management experience.
- High-level computer literacy with sound knowledge of relevant software applications.
- High-level interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships with internal and external partners.
- Strong analytical skills.
How to apply
How to apply & who to contact
Applications should be made via our website: http://www.hollows.org/au/careers/current-vacancies and should include your resume and cover letter addressing all areas expressed in the ‘experience, skills & attributes’ section of the Role Purpose as well as details of your current and expected salary.
Alternatively, if you would like further information please contact our Talent Acquisition team via email at email@example.com Applications sent to this address will not be considered.
Applications close: 1st April 2021
The Fred Hollows Foundation is committed to protecting the rights of children in all areas where we work. Applicants are advised that The Foundation reserves the right to conduct police checks and other screening procedures to ensure we maintain and promote a child-safe environment.
The Fred Hollows Foundation – Ethiopia (FHF-E) has been re-registered and licensed by The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Organizations Of Civil Societies in accordance with the Organizations Of Civil Societies Proclamation No.1113/2019 and certificate number 2985, on May 20/2019.
To be eligible to apply for this position you must have the appropriate right to work in Ethiopia.