The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
The APHRC seeks to recruit a Post-Doctoral Research Scientist to work in the Health and Systems for Health Unit to join a vibrant Non-Communicable Diseases research group.
· Provide leadership to a scientific research team in Chronic Disease Management projects;
· Lead desk reviews, policy analysis and contribute to systematic reviews;
· Lead the development of study protocols and tools and ensure ethical approvals and research permits are obtained;
· Ensure the recruitment, training and supervision of field interviewers;
· Ensure community mobilization and education of the community in relation to the research project is done;
· Secure and manage the necessary human, financial and material resources of the project;
· Lead the development of project reports;
· Oversee data quality and analyses;
· Lead and contribute to proposal development and fundraising for research projects in the unit;
· Mentor junior researchers and facilitate in the Center’s training programs as needed;
· Represent the Center at high level national, regional and international forums, including relevant technical working groups and expert committees;
· Contribute to institutional publications including and not limited to lay dissemination materials such as policy/research briefs and fact sheets; and
· Contribute to the unit’s strategic planning.
Qualifications and Experience
· PhD in Public Health, Epidemiology or any related Medical Sciences; ideally 0-2 years after PhD completion.
· A medical background in Medicine or Nursing would be preferred.
· Experience working in a research institution, managing research projects.
· Research experience in Non-Communicable Diseases Research in Africa.
· Excellent Scientific writing skills.
· Strong quantitative skills: experience with mixed methods will be an added advantage.
· Strong proposal writing skills.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application and include:
I. A letter of application;
II. A statement of research interests and goals (1-2 pages); and
through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/ by March 31, 2021.**
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
*APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons***