At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Programs – Pact strives for a world where all people are heard, capable, and vibrant. The Programs Team helps realize this objective by bridging program management, technical support, and business development, enabling Pact to achieve its global strategy. We ensure program excellence through continuous learning, monitoring and evaluation and provide organizational and industry-wide thought leadership by leveraging a complementary set of cross-functional, multi-disciplinary skills, expertise, and experiences. The Programs team: influences progressive change through the development and implementation of global and regional strategies and business plans; supports advancement of innovative solutions; pursues new business opportunities; and drives effective internal and external engagement to maximize Pact’s impact across the globe. Across all aspects of its role, the Programs Department adheres to and promotes a culture of inclusion, accountability, and respect.
Pact Inc. seeks a Private Sector Engagement Lead for the five-year Sustainable Environmental Governance Across Regions (SEGAR) project in Indonesia. SEGAR will support local governments in realizing the political and economic potential of the global demand for verifiable deforestation-free goods, and be part of the large-scale shift to sustainable, inclusive development. It will strengthen inclusive subnational environmental governance and increase implementation of environmental and social sustainability goals in private sector natural resource commodity production supply chains.
S/he will explore innovative and effective approaches to building partnerships and alliances with private sector parties that are interested in adopting responsible investment practices towards deforestation and degradation-free agriculture, agroforestry, and forestry businesses. S/he will coordinate closely with the Chief of Party and the Deputy Chief of Party across all project initiatives and activities.
The Private Sector Engagement Lead is a key personnel position and is subject to donor approval. Once selected and approved, the candidate is expected to serve for the full duration of the project.
· Direct the private sector component as the lead technical specialist for achieving expected results related to increasing market-driven solutions and sustainability in natural resource commodity supply chains.
· Map relevant networks of private sector companies and associations, focusing on but not limited to the agriculture, forestry, and mining sectors
· Build and maintain relationships with relevant private sector partners across Indonesia to increase green financing opportunities in the region
· Promotes private sector engagement with local govt and other stakeholders for mutually beneficial collaboration to improve natural resource governance and environmental and social sustainability goals.
· Work closely with Earthworm Foundation and other SEGAR partners to foster a private sector- led community of practice of sustainable natural resource commodity supply chains.
· Design and structure business cases tailored to specific prospects, funding opportunities, and potential partners, and develop new and innovative business models to generate and scale significant growth in non-traditional investments related to sustainable commodities
· Advise on financial, performance, and other risks to deals and identify appropriate risk mitigation and management plans
· Participate in and convene forums that connect investors and companies with innovative portfolios of low-emissions projects
· Key personnel serving as a member of the Core Management Team and ensure regular communication with other sector leads and site managers on private sector engagement
· Supervise sustainable investing unit technical staff namely the Finance and Investment Specialist, Sustainable Enterprise Specialist, and consultants in implementation of project activities
· Contribute to the preparation and submittal of annual work plans and periodic progress reports and assist with monitoring relevant program indicators and evaluating program results
· Advanced degree in economics, agronomy, finance, or another field related to private sector engagement
· Extensive experience and established networks with local, regional, and international
private sector actors along natural resource commodity supply chains committed to
environmental and social standards
· Expertise in environmental and social standards for natural resource commodity
supply chains and advising private sector actors in applying these standards
· Understanding of financial management and ability to identify and propose strategies on risk management and mitigation
· Experience in developing financing mechanisms for commodity producers, from
smallholders to large producers, to shift sustainable practices in collaboration with
local and regional financing facilities
· Proven ability to work with private sector actors, all levels of government, NGOs, and
smallholder communities, building mutual understanding of environmental and social
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English, orally and in writing
· Ability to travel on occasion domestically and regionally for forums and events.
· Indonesian nationals only
- Experience in private sector-led establishment and scaling of High Conservation Values (HCV) and High Carbon Stock (HCS)approaches and multi-stakeholder KEE management
- Experience working with USG funding
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
How to apply
Please click here https://careers-pactworld.icims.com/jobs/1601/private-sector-engagement-lead/job?mobile=false&width=1320&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240 to apply for this position.