INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Program Coordinator
Duty station: Kabul (40%) and Kandahar (60%)
Starting date: 26/03/2021
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 4 international staff + 2 national staff
Dependents: Non-family Duty Station /non-accompanied
General context of the project
Protracted humanitarian crisis and conflict, displacement, governance failure and a deep socio-economic crisis have had a devastating impact on the Afghan population, namely on the most vulnerable groups, caught up in the active conflict-zones, displaced and returned to the country. The South Region, in particular Kandahar and Zabul Provinces, is amongst the critically affected areas. Political and security situation remains volatile, despite the peace talks: almost 50% of the territory is considered contested with frequents clashes and airstrikes.
INTERSOS has been present in Afghanistan since 2001 with a country office in Kabul, a field base in Kandahar City and a sub-base in Qalat. INTERSOS focuses on implementing emergency response and relief programs in different sectors: Health, Nutrition, Protection and WASH, serving the conflict-affected population (displaced and not displaced) and with community living in hard-to reach areas. A special focus is dedicated to Extreme Vulnerable Individuals (women, children, person with disabilities, etc.).
The program’s general objective is to contribute to reduce the protection and health risks of hard to reach conflict-affected communities. The proposed program aims to improve access to integrated protection, primary health care (including sexual and reproductive health care) and nutrition services in the conflict affected areas of Kandahar and Zabul Provinces.
General purpose of the position
The Program Coordinator supports the Head of Mission with the overall country program development and management in accordance with INTERSOS’ country strategy, plans and policies.
The Program Coordinator is responsible of the coordination of all the projects and the smooth implementation of all the activities, in collaboration with all the support and technical Coordinators.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensuring a quality implementation of the projects in country, providing support to Project Managers in project management and project cycle management
- Support the Project Managers in the planning, implementation and monitoring of the activities, deliverables and budget
- Play a key role in the definition and implementation of the Strategy of the mission, ensuring the smooth running of INTERSOS humanitarian operations in the country
- Carry out a detailed donors and stakeholders mapping in country in collaboration with the Head of Base
- Upon delegation of Head of Mission, developing strategic partnerships with other international or local organizations, wherever possible
Project monitoring and evaluation
- Conduct regular meetings with the team to review the planning, and discuss the main concerns and the achievements
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of the activities, in collaboration with Head of Base, Projects managers and M&E Officers
- Support the Head of Mission for the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on power of abuse
- Play the role of the line manager and contribute to the capacity building of the Project Managers and M&E Officers
- Manage and evaluate the performance of the staff directly supervised and ensure that evaluation procedures are implemented for the rest of the team
- Collaborate in the recruitment process, according to guidelines and SOPs
Representation, coordination and advocacy
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders (donors, partners, government, etc.)
- Represent INTERSOS in coordination fora as requested/needed
- Actively participate in Senior Management Team and any other meetings as organized by Head of Mission
- Collaborate with the Logistics Coordinator and managers on proper management of logistic issue related to the projects, and provide feedback on dysfunctionalities on logistic management and the adherence of the procedures
- Cooperate with the Country Finance Coordinator and the Head of Base for the financial and administrative aspects of the mission
- Support the Head of Mission on security, access and political analysis of the region
New funding opportunities
- Actively participate to the writing of new funding opportunities, contributing to develop/design new concepts and proposals under the supervision of the Head of Mission and in cooperation with the Technical Coordinators, Head of Base, Project Managers and Deputy Regional Director
- Lead the development and implementation of assessments, in strong coordination with Head of Mission, Head of Base, M&E team and Technical Coordinators
- Ensure collection of data for reporting and analysis purposes
- Lead the process for donor/authorities reporting, under Head of Mission supervision, in collaboration with Technical Coordinators, Project Managers and Deputy Regional Director
- Regular update Head of Mission and Deputy Regional Director on program achievements and challenges
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree in humanitarian field or similar academic areas (experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree)
- At least three years of professional experience in similar position in the humanitarian field in countries outside of his/ her residence, with at least two years as senior management level
- At least three years of working in potentially insecure environment as expatriate staffs, with proven experience of security management
- Excellent writing, reporting and communication skills.
- Proven experience of:
- design of strategies and proposals
- coordination of projects
- management of staff with cultural diversity
- recruitment of international and national staff
- remote management
- good relationship with donors and national/local authorities
- Excellent level of understanding in humanitarian and human rights principles and standards
- Very good knowledge on policies and guidelines of INTERSOS and donors
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office (including MS Word, Excel, Power-point or other presentation software, Outlook and Skype)
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Pashto and/or Dari language is an added value
- Responsive, motivated, good communicator flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties
- Ability to communicate openly and maintain good relationship within the team, government and other local authorities, donor, and other stake holders
- Willingness to take responsibility
- Ability to cope with stress, and live in environment with very basic living condition
- Strong team spirit and ability to work in an intercultural environment
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (well organized), and to plan ahead and result oriented (pro-active)
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Practical and problem-solver
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-28-1663 – Program Coordinator”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.