Position Title: Programme Support Officer (PSU)
Duty Station: Erbil, Iraq
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 13 April 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the Deputy Chief of Mission (DCOM) and the direct supervision of the Programme Support Unit (PSU) Coordinator, and in close collaboration with the thematic programme unit management, the successful candidate will substantively support the Country Office’s (CO)’s resource mobilisation and external liaison functions through project development, reporting and fundraising actions, oversee internal coordination and develop strategies that respond to new and emerging challenges for IOM Iraq.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1.Serve as a focal point in Iraq for the design and development of new programmes/projects based on solid results frameworks responding to emerging trends and priorities, in coordination with the Deputy/Chief of Mission, MENA Regional Office, Headquarters, Programme Managers, as well as with Government and donor counterparts and other relevant public/private sector’s partner organizations.
2.Maintain up-to-date knowledge of all projects and programmes implemented by IOM Iraq, particularly in Erbil.
3.Manage and coordinate the administrative and financial aspects of new and ongoing projects, including ensuring activation, processing, endorsement, records-keeping, and submissions in line with specific IOM internal requirements and procedures. Liaise between IOM financial officials and Programme Managers to ensure that the latter are observant of IOM and Donors’ financial requirements.
4.Analyse and assess data and outcomes on programme implementation and indicators, advise Programme Managers, D/CoM, and senior management accordingly, and prepare regular implementation and progress reports for donors, partners and IOM Regional and Headquarters.
5.Lead on fundraising actions by proactively building and maintaining partnerships and liaison with donors, representing IOM at meetings and field visits and responding to queries and requests from donors and other stakeholders.
6.Provide advice and guidance on relevant and thematic fundraising strategies, and actively contribute to the Mission’s fundraising efforts by analyzing strategic migration-related initiatives, donor policies and priorities, identifying new funding opportunities, and defining proactive approaches to donor engagement, in coordination with Program Managers.
7.Analyse emerging trends or policy and develop documents on IOM strategic approaches and priorities for internal or external distribution; and provide substantive input into strategic processes for the CO.
8.Ensure the integration and coordination of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) frameworks and resources in collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Unit Manager and Project Managers; and develop M&E data collection and quality assurance tools.
9.Identify, train, and supervise reporting, project development and team members, including from program units where applicable, emphasizing the capacity building and development of new team members and training on internal systems and donor protocols.
10.Lead donor visits out of Erbil in coordination with relevant Units and undertake regular in-country and field visits in Iraq to improve and resolve issues related to the planning, programming, implementation and monitoring of projects.
11.Actively liaise and coordinate with United Nations agencies and stakeholders in Erbil for the preparation and organization of events or for planning processes.
12.When required, deputize for the Programme Support Unit Coordinator, and respond to inquiries from Headquarters and the network of IOM regional offices.
13.Ensure that accurate and pertinent records of all correspondence, project development and reporting files and administration information are maintained and that the Project Tracking Matrix, SharePoint, and PRIMA files and updated.
14.Substantively support policy and liaison functions relating to UN internal planning, programming and frameworks, including the UN Strategic Development Co-operation Framework, Agenda for 2030 processes, UN Network for Migration and any other IOM and UN core Working Groups or frameworks.
15.Ensure that IOM’s interests in the UN country team are fully recognized, enlarged, and integrated and maintain an effective and close coordination with relevant stakeholders in Erbil.
Chief of Mission Support
16.Identify areas of projects/programme implementation which require the D/CoM intervention.
17.Represent the D/CoM in inter-agency meetings when related to the development and implementation of joint programmes that are Erbil based, in coordination with Programme Managers, as well as in any other meetings, as requested.
18.Ensure adequate follow-up with relevant staff in support of the D/CoM strategic inputs and key decisions.
19.Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Humanitarian Affairs, Development Studies, Peace and Conflict Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Previous experience working in an international organization and knowledge of the UN is essential;
• Previous experience with and knowledge of foreign government funding mechanisms is essential;
• Previous work in relevant issues such as migration, livelihoods and job creation strategies, displacement, stabilisation the Middle East or Iraq is essential;
• Experience in project development, reporting, fundraising and donor relations, project monitoring and evaluation required.
• Good knowledge of programme management cycle;
• Proven ability to supervise, coach, and direct staff and manage operations in transitional contexts;
• Demonstrated project development and report writing skills, including for developing results matrices and logframes, and critical analysis; and,
• Computer skills and knowledge of relational databases, Microsoft applications, spreadsheets, word processing etc. is essential.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 13 April 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 31.03.2021 to 13.04.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2021 76 Programme Support Officer (PSU) (P3) Erbil, Iraq (56918592) Released
Posting: Posting NC56918593 (56918593) Released